Of Topic: Clock Part? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-24-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
Of Topic: Clock Part?

Back during spring cleaning I came across a small clock that has been forgotten about for years. One of those 1,001 things lined up for fixing. When I took the mini-movement out, however, I broke the old and brittle plastic holder the movement snaps into from the back.
Anybody know where to get this clip thingy? This is for the next time I might need one as my BetterHalf decided she no longer likes the clock and I gave it to Goodwill.

Yes I Googled the snot out of it, but no joy. I even emailed a couple of places that Iíve bought parts from before: no response (good way to treat a repeat customer, peopleÖ) And I emailed places Iíve never dealt with before. Same no-responseÖ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-25-2018, 12:10 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoRails View Post
Back during spring cleaning I came across a small clock that has been forgotten about for years. One of those 1,001 things lined up for fixing. When I took the mini-movement out, however, I broke the old and brittle plastic holder the movement snaps into from the back.
Anybody know where to get this clip thingy? This is for the next time I might need one as my BetterHalf decided she no longer likes the clock and I gave it to Goodwill.

Yes I Googled the snot out of it, but no joy. I even emailed a couple of places that Iíve bought parts from before: no response (good way to treat a repeat customer, peopleÖ) And I emailed places Iíve never dealt with before. Same no-responseÖ
Would need more info to even guess. A picture and the make and model of the clock would help. Still it sounds like something that could be jury rigged.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-28-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Would need more info to even guess. A picture and the make and model of the clock would help. Still it sounds like something that could be jury rigged.
Itís not really a make or model type of thing as Iíve seen similar clips in various clocks of mine Iíve fixed over the years. This one is just the first Iíve broken.

As mentioned I gave the clock to Goodwill so I canít take a photo of it. I did make a crude side view sketch, though, that hopefully makes sense.

The clip thing holds the movement in place so there is no need for the typical retaining nut on the end of the shaft. The clocks Iíve seen either use the nut to hold the movement in place, or a clip to do the same. Iíve never removed a clip but I assume itís just glued in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clock Movement Clip - 1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	369821  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-28-2018, 10:31 AM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I would forget the clip and put a dab of silicone adhesive
on each corner to hold the clock movement in place.
call that one done ~ and move on to your other projects in line.

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-28-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith_inFL View Post
I would forget the clip and put a dab of silicone adhesive
on each corner to hold the clock movement in place.
call that one done ~ and move on to your other projects in line.
Wow... I love it! So simple. And I do have a lot of projects lined up to get to, too, LOL.

Thanks!
post #6 of 7 Old 12-28-2018, 10:12 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I just repaired a fancy, expensive Howard Miller clock for Spouse. It is a cheaply made large clock with an antique-look design for which the store charged a lot of money. (It consists of a round piece of fiberboard with two metal battens on the back for stiffness and a photo of a rusty old clock glued to its face. It has three cheap Chinese clock mechanisms for hour/minute hands, a small second hand, and a small hour-only hand.)

Two of the three plastic clock mechanisms were attached with double-stick tape on two sides. That's all, just the tape. The replacement clock mechanisms from Howard Miller included replacement tape, too.

Why use glue when tape makes it easy to replace a defective clock mechanism in the future?
post #7 of 7 Old 12-29-2018, 07:27 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
I was going to suggest getting a friend with 3D printer to make a replacement, but now would do as suggested and use silicone or duct tape to hold.
johnep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode