$%$# - topic? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 27 Old 09-18-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

View clarionflyer's Photo Album My Photos
$%$# - topic?

Yes, we're tough woodworkers (ladies included). But I think we need a topic.

I just spent a day milling some table legs out of beautiful rough cherry. Then I spent another day fine tuning the legs with the perfect angles, tapers, and even a silky sanding. Ready for finish!

Then I realized I messed up the tapers beyond repair... .

I think the first step to recovery is admitting idiocracy... so here I go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
How? Deconstucted mistakes are very educational and sometimes entertaining.
post #3 of 27 Old 09-18-2009, 05:49 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I've been trying to get more specialzed topics

This would be a perfect one.
Screw ups and irreversible damage'
What NOT to do when....
I burned down my shop because....
My worst customer.... (that one's already been started)
My wife bought me a new .... (harley?)
My kick back went ***.xx feet
The wind blew the stuff right off my roof

Just as an example: I had picked up a load of 1/2 prefinished particle board, and took off from a stop light a little hard, I got about 1/2 a block when a guy in the oncoming lane pulled me to a stop and asked if I lost any wood back in the intersection, well yeah, so I turned around to retrieve it and by the time I got there it was all gone. Eight Mile Road in Detroit... nothing goes unattended for long. I didn't realize that those brothers were all cabinet makers.
Any more examples? bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-11-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 09-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Splinter Cushion

View b00kemdano's Photo Album My Photos
I call it "magic." It's the art of deception! I haven't turned many legs, but the ones that I have turned are far enough apart on the furniture that most people will never see the variances. And, trust me, there are plenty of variances. :P
post #5 of 27 Old 09-18-2009, 07:54 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
I've never made a mistake in the shop and I have the scars and permanently crooked first finger to prove it.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I had a client that wanted a wall system and a kitchen. The wall system was first. It was about 12' long and floor to ceiling. He went out of town and during that time I finished and installed the unit. When he returned he called and said the unit was the wrong color.

Well, to make a long story not so long, there was a misunderstanding on the many samples he looked at. So, I un-installed the whole thing, took it back to the shop, stripped everything, and stained and finished and installed it for the second time.

I did get paid, and wrote a contract for the kitchen. He did say that he was impressed that I was so agreeable to make the change and not try to talk him into keeping it the way it was. It was also a reminder to get the client to sign off on the back of the sample picked.

post #7 of 27 Old 09-18-2009, 09:24 PM

View don716's Photo Album My Photos
Look on the bright side,if you have a lathe you can turn those table legs into pen blanks.Cherry makes some nice pens.
Donny
post #8 of 27 Old 09-18-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

2 different projects going at the same time. And I tapered all 4 sides of my cherry candle stick legs... I should have only tapered the 2 inside legs.
Can you be dumber? I doubt it. AHRRR!

Still burns me up.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-18-2009, 10:11 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Don't feel bad Clarion, there's always somebody else worse off.

Mike Hawkins
post #10 of 27 Old 09-18-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I got ticked off again, thinking about it and got a little rushed.
I should have only tapered the 2 inside parts of each of the 4 legs. With my particular project (a petite candlestick stand) - it makes a huge difference.
I was also making another project with tapers on all 4 legs.
No excuse, I'm just an idiot.
post #11 of 27 Old 09-19-2009, 08:45 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarionflyer View Post
Sorry, I got ticked off again, thinking about it and got a little rushed.
I should have only tapered the 2 inside parts of each of the 4 legs. With my particular project (a petite candlestick stand) - it makes a huge difference.
I was also making another project with tapers on all 4 legs.
No excuse, I'm just an idiot.
Nope, you're no idiot. Maybe if you had done it TWICE, though.....
post #12 of 27 Old 09-21-2009, 02:31 PM

View TS3660's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Just as an example: I had picked up a load of 1/2 prefinished particle board, and took off from a stop light a little hard, I got about 1/2 a block when a guy in the oncoming lane pulled me to a stop and asked if I lost any wood back in the interesction, well yeah, so I turned around to retrieve it and by the time I got there it was all gone. Eight Mile Road in Detroit... nothing goes unattended for long. I didn't realise that those brothers were all cabinet makers.
Any more examples?
This reminded me a the time I had my wife go get 2 sheets of drywall for me. I have a shortbed truck with a toolbox in it behind the cab. I told her to leave the tailgate up and put the front of the drywall in under the toolbox and set the back on top of the tailgate. Well, I couldn't believe it when she came rolling in the driveway with the front of the drywall laying on top of the toolbox and the back hanging out the back of the opened tailgate! It was at such an angle that I couldn't believe she made it out of the Home Depot parking lot without losing it, let alone drive 5 miles to home on the interstate. When I questioned her about it she said she must have misunderstood. Yeah, I guess. The guy at HD even questioned her and she said "Nope, that's the way my husband said to load it." So he did. No doubt he was shaking his head the whole time.

Bud

"Veggie burgers aren't bad if you put enough meat on them"
post #13 of 27 Old 09-21-2009, 04:01 PM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS3660 View Post

This reminded me a the time I had my wife go get 2 sheets of drywall for me. I have a shortbed truck with a toolbox in it behind the cab. I told her to leave the tailgate up and put the front of the drywall in under the toolbox and set the back on top of the tailgate.
Consider yourself lucky! My wife absolutely refuses to drive my truck at all. She won't move it out of the driveway when the driveway needs sweeping.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.
post #14 of 27 Old 09-21-2009, 05:14 PM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
My %$#% day was working in the shop on a Sunday, project going well. 7 month preggers with twins wifey comes out and hints to come in, I said it will be a couple more minutes. Ran hand through table saw blade, spent the rest of the evening and following day at the hand surgeon and months of recovery. Of coarse you could imagine the wife coming in with blood all over the place, I thought I was going to become a daddy that day as well.

needless to say I gave up on that project.
post #15 of 27 Old 09-21-2009, 05:59 PM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
Well, I just read alot of might i say unfortunate things that we woodworkers do. WELLLLLLL let me tell ya'll a little story called easing a piece of wood down on a TS blade. I have always loved the sound of a banjo and have always wanted to learn to play one. a friend of mine, who by the way knows a thing or two about music and how to pick just about anything with a string, just so happened to have TWO banjos that he had bought a few years back and told me he would sell them to me. The catch, they were in a box in as many pieces that two banjos could be in. Well i bought them for around $40.00 and as soon as i got them home i started taking a parts inventory. OHHHHH about $200.00 later man i had me a banjo that a feller could play. So i bought a book and started learning the cords, then i started learning the rolls. Hey i'm three finger pickin and having a ball, (i uausually practiced in a little spot in the woods above my barn, Cause my ex-wife told me she was gonna do something with that banjo that banjos well i think you get the idea. Anyway after learning from books and practicing alot i decided to take lessons. Lasted one week, Never ease a piece of wood onto a TS blade and try cut that extra little bit by cutting with the rotation of the blade. If you want to se the end result just ask i can provide pics!!!!
post #16 of 27 Old 09-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by garryswf View Post
If you want to se the end result just ask i can provide pics!!!!

I got popcorn...bring on the pictures.

post #17 of 27 Old 09-21-2009, 07:49 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah Pictures, but

Garry,
I'm more interested in the circumstances of the &*%^&%^#$ moment. I take you were letting a workpiece down over the blade. Near end down first or far down end first? A stop block in front would have prevented a forward kickback. What would you have done differently? Please explain. The gory details will not really help anyone to prevent the situation as far as I can tell, but an explanation might. Thanks and a speedy recovery to you.
I LOVE the banjo. I have played guitar Martin D18, in a bluegrass pick and grin group in years past, but was no where near the caliber of the other players. They were real Kentucky mountain players. I built my first guitar from a trash can pick in an alley in the streets of Chicago at age 16. Carved the neck from Redwood!! because it was soft enough to carve...what did I know? bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-21-2009 at 09:13 PM.
post #18 of 27 Old 09-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Okay I'm game...

Following the plans no less... And relatively simple ones at that...

Fine Woodworking's Get Started in Woodworking basic workbench plan...

The holes for the threaded rod are laid out so that one threaded rod just passes over the top of the other as they go down the sides and across. I drilled them so that they intersect... NEW LEGS!

This was okay. It gave me a chance to give my planer and jointer a workout by going with rough cut cedar instead of pine 4x4s...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #19 of 27 Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 AM

View garryswf's Photo Album My Photos
Woodnthings,
You are right on the money, stop blocks would have helped. I had cut about 50 or 60 slats for the backs of swings, they were around 3" wide and 20" long. I started 2" from each end and was removing a 1/2" from each side with the TS and finishing the little bit that was left with my BS. (My stop blocks were actually two lines on my TS fence)When i made a cut on one of the slats i noticed i had not made my cut quite far enough on one end so instead of stoping the saw, like a smart man or/woman would have done i decided to ease the piece back towards me. Well the blade caught the wood and kicked it towards me a little faster than i planned and the middle finger on my left hand just happened to be in the wrong place. After all that happened i shut the saw off walked out of the shop to the house, stuck my head in the patio door and told the ex to get me a towel and warm up the car cause we need to head to the hospital. The worst part of the whole incident was that i got some blood on the cast iron top on the TS. The stain it left after cleaning it never did come completely off. The lesson here i guess is never work in your wood shop if you know you are afflicted with the ID-10 -T virus. On a lighter note, after i healed and started picking again i sold both of the banjos that were in the box (i had them both put together finally) and bought a Gibson, still have it.

Last edited by garryswf; 09-22-2009 at 06:46 AM.
post #20 of 27 Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 PM

View jim douglas's Photo Album My Photos
I built some nice bookshelves for a client 78"long to fit in a certain spot. Or so I thought. I actually built them 7'8". There in my living room now!
live n learn
jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode