Woodworking Talk banner

Too Hot in the Shop

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  _Ogre 
#1 ·
I've got work to do if it ever cools off!!! Dang It!

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
in my shop I have a vaulted ceiling. I run my air filtration unit that is ceiling mounted. It recirculates the air in side approximately 26 times per hour. I don’t have hot spots up high with it. The overall temp will be approximately 2 degrees cooler with the filtration unit running. I’m sure it will be as effective in cold months too.

#10 ·
Our garage/shop is on the west side of the house with no shade until about 7 p.m. this time of year, so no real help there. We put heat blocking film on the two windows and 90% heat blocking screens and that made a big difference. We had insulation blown into the walls and ceiling, I insulated the garage door, and then had the mini-split installed. It runs 24/7/365 and also heats nicely in the winter.

Because the garage is attached I leave the door open into the house unless I'm spraying lacquer. I set the mini-split to 80° at night and then every morning about 5:45 I lower it to 77°. I also turn on the ceiling mounted 20" box fan/filter combo and usually an oscillating fan a little later in the day. The humidity out there now is 36% and the temp is 75.4° and it's 75° outside but it's not even 9 a.m. yet, so the sun hasn't hit the shop hard. The humidity outside is 93% this morning.

Later today it's supposed to hit about 96° and it will get up to about 78° in the shop. Because the humidity is low it feels much cooler than 78° when you step into the shop. Matter of fact, if my wife walks out there like it is now she'll wear a sweater! :grin:

David

#11 ·
I need to do something better in my shop as it's not enjoyable working out there this time of year aside from the odd day it cools off. It is a 30x50 detached shop with 13' ceilings so requires more than a trivial solution. I have been considering putting in some ceiling fans just to get some decent air movement, but it has no windows...just two large roll up doors and a man door. The ceiling has some loose insulation and the walls have the reflective bubble-type sheet insulation and no drywall. This was all done by previous owners.

#12 ·
I need to do something better in my shop as it's not enjoyable working out there this time of year aside from the odd day it cools off. It is a 30x50 detached shop with 13' ceilings so requires more than a trivial solution.

unless you need all 1500 sqft all the time, i would partition off and insulate a heatable/coolable shop to work in.

my barn is 50x50, but my shop in the barn is 20x30. i partitioned of the front 20x30 space with an insulated wall and glued 1" thick polyisocyanurate foam board to block walls and sheetrock over that. this an affordable way to heat my shop, i could as easily cool my shop.

i do have a 14x30 drive in bay that i can close off and heat in the winter, not economical as it is uninsulated and has a plastic wall. beyond that is 16x30 storage and 20x50 garage space under the low roof.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.