Tiger Maple - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 11-16-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

View GoNavy429's Photo Album My Photos
Tiger Maple

Next door neighbor gave me a 1x5 inch, five foot piece of Tiger Maple yesterday, beautiful piece of wood. Thought about maybe making some thing out of it and giving it back to him and his wife for xmas...lol...Any body got any ideas what to make with this, pretty small piece and it's an inch thick ...jeez..I have no idea, thought maybe a clock or some thing and just use this to face it, maybe wrap the base with it...I am open to suggestions..lol..It's a shame not to use this for some thing, beautiful piece of wood, I don't even think it needs to be stained, just some type of oil finish and polish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-16-2013, 08:17 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Resaw it to1/2" and make a box?

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 3 Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

View GoNavy429's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
Resaw it to1/2" and make a box?

Love to do just that..but I have been down this road before.......I have a shopsmith band saw and the blade lead is horrible. I've seen all the video's, read all the books on how to set up your fence and compensate for the blade lead to make a straight re-saw cut and I have never been able pull it off...... I especially don't want to screw up this piece. I may give it another try, maybe on the scrap to see if I can get right. Is there a special blade needed for re-saw work, maybe I don't have the right blade. But ya, making several 1/4 inch thick pieces would be great, don't think I could get but three pieces out of this, would loose 1/16 for each cut, plus 1/16 for each board when planed, that's 1/4 inch would leave three 1/4" slabs. This board is a full one inch thick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode