Thinking about upgrading table saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
Thinking about upgrading table saw

So my wife was helping me in the garage the other day because I'm not able to lift much right now. So she was helping me move around tools and wood. After seeing how my old Jet contractor saw keeps tripping the breaker on the motor when cutting 8/4 purple heart, she told me to get a bigger saw.

Who am I to argue with her. I did spend more time resetting the breaker then I did cutting the wood.

So I have been casually been looking for a cabinet saw. I saw a nice deal on C-list for a Jet one with roller outfeed stand and other accessories for 8 or 950 (don't remember) but I was a touch too late and it sold that day.

I was also thinking about a new Grizzly saw, but I'm still on the fence about that. I do like to buy used because i can pick it up for 50% of retail sometimes... but you don't always get the newest stuff.

I would like to get a strong saw that has riving knife (or can add one easily) and that I can put a mobile base on to move around my shop. I'll probably put a router table along the side too...

Anyone have any good recommendations?
Thanks!
Derek

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
The new Grizzly G1023RL or G0690 both have riving knives, 3hp motors, and beefy cabinet mounted trunnions, but will run closer to $1200....still a heck of a bang for the buck IMO. A used Grizzly G1023S, 1023SL, 1023Z, etc. (or Shop Fox equivalent), should be in the $500-$800 range....they don't have stock riving knives, but a BORK aftermarket riving knife can be added. I'd also be looking for a nice Unisaw, PM66, General 350, Jet Exacta, etc....not sure if the BORK will fit any of those, but Bob Ross from "TheBorkStore.com" could answer the question.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
The village amadŠn.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman is selling their hybrid saw for $769.49 if you sign up as a Shop Your Way Rewards and/or Craftsman Club membership (both free).

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode