Thickness Planer as Face Jointer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gmercer_48083
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 6 Old 06-26-2020, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

View wjfeeney@hotmail.com's Photo Album My Photos
Thickness Planer as Face Jointer

Hi Guys, been a while since I posted. Been obsessing on learning how to use the Incra LS-Positioner fence and router table for dovetail boxes and as an excellent edge jointer.

I have much less successfully attempted to use my Jet 8" Jointer/Planer to face joint stock for the boxes I'm making, so I decided to try making a sled to use with my Dewalt 735 thickness planer after seeing some YouTube's on how to do it.

For anyone else that might be thinking of doing this, I highly recommend it. After you get the hang of it, many light passes, it really works well.
There are numerous posts on sleds so I tried two versions. 1st was the one using sandpaper to keep the stock from sliding and that wasn't as good at securing the stock for the many multiple passes that I found are really required as the design that uses hot glue to hold the leveling shims and stock securely to the sled.
So if you're wondering if the YouTube posters are really doing something the everyday woodworker can do I think if you're patient while you polish your technique I think for sure the answer is yes.

Bill F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-26-2020, 11:50 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Show photos... please.
furnacefighter15 likes this.

Gary

Woodworking is like wetting myself....Only I know that warm feeling!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-27-2020, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Show photos... please.
Running around all day. I'll get a picture Saturday. In the meantime here are two of the links I think were really good.
I liked the second one the best as far as technique idea, because it was the one that started me thinking I had to take a lot of shallow passes. Before watching it I was taking too big a bite. There are a lot of YouTube videos. Most simple, some more complicated.

Bill F.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-27-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-27-2020, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Show photos... please.
Pictures as requested. Once the stock was face jointed I removed it from the sled and put the flat side down and ran it through the thickness planer. One of the YouTube videos said to use a heat gun to unstick the stock and wedges from the glue and that just creates a big sticky mess. I now just use a putty knife and it comes right up then use mineral spirits to remove any residue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock to Face Joint.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	391585  

Name:	Simple Planer Face Jointing Sled.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	391587  

Name:	Face Jointing in Process.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	391589  

Name:	Face Jointed Stock Finished.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	391591  

Bill F.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-27-2020 at 08:46 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2020, 10:40 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
No glue, no mess just a simple clamp system

I made some panel clamps for bookmach panels and thought they would be good for a planer sled for wide stock. I was right!

Here's what I did:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/p...d-rails-14940/

The pressure from the clamps is sufficient to hold the board in place, BUT some sandpaper glued on the rabbet would give more bite. Small wedges under the highest spots would also prevent any downward roller pressure from shifting the workpiece in the clamps. This was an experiment but I am pleased with the results. I can surface joint stock up to 12" wide using this clamp system. A longer one would be real easy to make if I should need it.

faith michel likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 6 Old 06-28-2020, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I made some panel clamps for bookmach panels and thought they would be good for a planer sled for wide stock. I was right!

Here's what I did:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/p...d-rails-14940/

The pressure from the clamps is sufficient to hold the board in place, BUT some sandpaper glued on the rabbet would give more bite. Small wedges under the highest spots would also prevent any downward roller pressure from shifting the workpiece in the clamps. This was an experiment but I am pleased with the results. I can surface joint stock up to 12" wide using this clamp system. A longer one would be real easy to make if I should need it.

Excellent sled!

Bill F.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode