Is there any way to fix this plywood veneer screw up. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-14-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
Is there any way to fix this plywood veneer screw up.

I was was helping a buddy make a chest for his Mom for Christmas. I edge banded the cherry plywood. I used a router with a flush trim bit to trim the veneer. The bit cut into the veneer of the plywood. There is only about 6 inches that look this bad. He plans on staining it pretty dark. How bad will this look under stain. This guy is one of the if it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer guys, so his standards of work are pretty low.

Is there any way to fix this plywood veneer screw up.-image-748453334.jpg

Is there any way to fix this plywood veneer screw up.-image-3478333623.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-14-2015, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

I could make the top 1/2 inch narrower, but that would make it hard to get the 45 degree corners right.

Is there any way to fix this plywood veneer screw up.-image-4162176585.jpg
post #3 of 8 Old 12-14-2015, 03:23 PM

View fareastern's Photo Album My Photos
If it were my problem,I'd rout a groove next to the edging maybe 3/32 deep and wide enough to hide the damage.I'd clean the ends with a chisel and drop in a piece of solid cherry a tiny bit thicker than the groove and when the glue cured,I'd clean it up and hope it looked like a join in the face veneer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-14-2015, 06:45 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
First of all think of what happened. When you trim something like that set the cutting edge to where it just barely cuts the piece your trimming. It's like doing formica work. You always set the trim bit to where it barely cuts the laminate. If any of the parts are out of square it can cause you to burn the edge.

As far as fixing the top I'm with Hwebb99. Cut the edgebanding off but if size is an issue add a thicker piece of wood to the edge. If it were me though I would machine the edgebanding very close to the thickness of the plywood and just sand it.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-14-2015, 08:35 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Is this the top or bottom of the lid? If its the bottom of the lid, the side that would face the inside of the chest, leave it be, under stain in a non-noticeable area itll never get noticed. If its the outside of the chest, well, under stain it probably still wouldnt get noticed by most people, but fareastern has a good idea for a fix

Why yes, i have made the exact same mistake once or twice, why do you ask?

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 8 Old 12-14-2015, 10:28 PM

View Tman1's Photo Album My Photos
I did the same thing and did something similar to fareastern's suggestion. The only difference is I cut the veneer off of a scrap piece of the plywood I was using. This gave me a very good match. I used the table saw to cut a kerf just beneath the veneer. Then I trimmed it off and did everything else like fareastern suggested.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-14-2015, 10:49 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fareastern View Post
If it were my problem,I'd rout a groove next to the edging maybe 3/32 deep and wide enough to hide the damage.I'd clean the ends with a chisel and drop in a piece of solid cherry a tiny bit thicker than the groove and when the glue cured,I'd clean it up and hope it looked like a join in the face veneer.
I would do like fareastern said also. Before you start to sand the new strip you glued in, take your pencil and make marks on the plywood right up to the solid piece of cherry the full length. By making light pencil marks all the way from one end to the other, you will see the pencil marks disappear as you sand the solid cherry down to the level of the plywood.

Then you will know to stop sanding as it will be flush with the plywood. By doing that with the pencil marks you won't sand through the thin veneer. Don't make heavy pencil marks, it will mar the surface, make light marks.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-14-2015, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

I "fixed" the problem. I discovered another problem. I had made the lid and the chest 24". The lid was supposed to overhang be 3/4" per side. The solution, cut it up and make a drawer instead. All in all it was a pretty good day. Two lessons learned. Very little wood wasted, and no blood spilled. The lessons were how not to flush trim, and build the lid last. Tomorrows agenda is to build a new top, and hopefully make two end cutting boards. Is there any way to fix this plywood veneer screw up.-image-2537359775.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode