Thanks taxes! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

View JCMeyersIV's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks taxes!

Phase two of my tool upgrades (phase one being the sander) and I figured it was time for a bigger table saw. Figured the r4511 would be good for now. Used a harbor freight 20% off coupon. Haven't used it yet, rearranged the shop and cleaned up the top today. Set up tomorrow.

Thanks taxes!-image-4268496814.jpg

"If you don't want to wear chaps, that's fine with me I wouldn't in this heat either, just be careful. The crazy part is: it's 97 degrees out and youre wearing blue jeans. I don't see why you refuse to just wear shorts if you don't want chaps. Jeans are not going to stop a chainsaw from ruining your day."
The Following User Says Thank You to JCMeyersIV For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (03-25-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Senior junior member

View Woodwart's Photo Album My Photos
I took another look at one today. I have an r4510, but if I had the space and didn't have to have my table saw moveable, I might have gone with the 4511. Good choice!

I like your assistant!

Cheers,
Roger
JCMeyersIV (03-25-2013)
post #3 of 15 Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

View JCMeyersIV's Photo Album My Photos
That's my two year old niece, she's always around to help me clean.

"If you don't want to wear chaps, that's fine with me I wouldn't in this heat either, just be careful. The crazy part is: it's 97 degrees out and youre wearing blue jeans. I don't see why you refuse to just wear shorts if you don't want chaps. Jeans are not going to stop a chainsaw from ruining your day."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JCMeyersIV For This Useful Post:
Burb (03-25-2013), vinnypatternmaker (03-25-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-19-2015, 09:39 PM

View newman11's Photo Album My Photos
Not sure how I came across this post but I see you used a Harbor Freight coupon on your Ridgid table saw. Am I reading that right?
post #5 of 15 Old 01-19-2015, 09:47 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by newman11 View Post
Not sure how I came across this post but I see you used a Harbor Freight coupon on your Ridgid table saw. Am I reading that right?
I've seen it posted several times that some Home Depot stores are competitive enough to accept Harbor Freight coupons. It's kind of like grocery stores matching someone else's ads.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-19-2015, 09:51 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
its quite rare, its up to the managers discretion.

As harbor freight does not sell the product you are attempting to purchase, there is no obligation for them to honor it.

Great for you if your HD will though.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-19-2015, 10:57 PM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
If you got a tax 'refund' - it means that they took too much out of your check each week and got to keep YOUR (extra) money all year long and interest free.

That was YOUR money all along that got taken from you out of each check one little piece at a time...

You can adjust your witholdings to prevent that in the future.

Funny how people just don't seem to notice the theft when it happens a small piece at a time from each check...
post #8 of 15 Old 01-19-2015, 11:31 PM

View Black540i's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnealWoodworking View Post
If you got a tax 'refund' - it means that they took too much out of your check each week and got to keep YOUR (extra) money all year long and interest free.

That was YOUR money all along that got taken from you out of each check one little piece at a time...

Funny how people just don't seem to notice the theft when it happens a small piece at a time from each check...
Some people prefer it that way as opposed to saving it themselves. Most people are terrible with money these days.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-20-2015, 12:02 AM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
for starters, the OP posted this 2 years ago. perhaps he has his taxes sorted out.

In other news, your refund is a factor of not only income, but deductions, with which you cannot easily know how your year will shape up.
The Following User Says Thank You to bauerbach For This Useful Post:
sawdustsnifer (01-27-2015)
post #10 of 15 Old 01-20-2015, 12:09 AM

View Bean_Counter's Photo Album My Photos
The Following User Says Thank You to Bean_Counter For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (01-20-2015)
post #11 of 15 Old 01-20-2015, 10:37 AM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnealWoodworking View Post

True enough, but with current interest rates, the interest lost by having the IRS hold your $$ amounts to a very few dollars, maybe $2-3 on a $500 refund, and may be a small price to pay for some for the benefit of "forced savings".

Going a little further, if you use TurboTax, they're currently offering to give you your refund in the form of an Amazon gift card, with a 10% bonus. Free money is good. I wondered if I could send in an extra $1000 estimated payment, and get an extra $1100 refund. 10% return in a matter of weeks. The Amazon card works for us; we spent a little over $5K there last year.

Just my $.02 (without a 10% bonus)
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevedore For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (01-20-2015)
post #12 of 15 Old 01-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Just a point....it's no ones business how anyone conducts their finances, if some choose to use the government as a savings account, who are we to judge. A lot of people like using tax refunds as a bonus, it's not for me, but it's also not my business.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan50hrl For This Useful Post:
post #13 of 15 Old 01-20-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
Just a point....it's no ones business how anyone conducts their finances, if some choose to use the government as a savings account, who are we to judge. A lot of people like using tax refunds as a bonus, it's not for me, but it's also not my business.
Our Gov knows nothing about 'saving'. We just kick the can down the road for our kids to pick up the tab.

post #14 of 15 Old 01-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I was referring to some people's choice to get a refund every year...not a statement about our governments fiscal responsibility as that's just a list cause at this point.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan50hrl For This Useful Post:
post #15 of 15 Old 01-20-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
True enough, but with current interest rates, the interest lost by having the IRS hold your $$ amounts to a very few dollars, maybe $2-3 on a $500 refund, and may be a small price to pay for some for the benefit of "forced savings".

Going a little further, if you use TurboTax, they're currently offering to give you your refund in the form of an Amazon gift card, with a 10% bonus. Free money is good. I wondered if I could send in an extra $1000 estimated payment, and get an extra $1100 refund. 10% return in a matter of weeks. The Amazon card works for us; we spent a little over $5K there last year.

Just my $.02 (without a 10% bonus)
I read a great article a few days ago about the software Amazon uses to set their prices with so that they always 'appear' to have the lowest price around. It was a good read for sure.

I will try to dig through my history file and see if I can shoot you a link to it.

ETA: Here is link to article mentioned: http://recode.net/2015/01/13/how-ama...lowest-prices/

Snip from article:

Quote:
Quote:
The study of Amazon’s pricing uncovered some interesting tactics. First, Amazon doesn’t have the lowest prices across the board, which may not surprise industry insiders but might surprise Amazon shoppers.

Instead, according to Boomerang’s analysis, Amazon identifies the most popular products on its site and consistently prices them under the competition. In one example, Boomerang observed Amazon testing price reductions on a $350 Samsung TV — one of the most popular TVs on Amazon — over the six months leading up to Black Friday. Then, on Black Friday, it dropped the price to $250, coming in well below competitors’ prices.

But when it comes to the HD cables that customers often buy with a new TV, Amazon actually pushed up the price by 33 percent ahead of the holidays. One reason is that the cables weren’t among the most popular in their category, meaning that they have little impact on price perception among shoppers. Secondly, Amazon most likely figures (or knows) it can make a profit on these cables because customers won’t price-compare on them as carefully as they would on more expensive products.

In another example, Amazon priced one of the most popular routers on its site about 20 percent below Walmart’s price. But when it came to a much less popular router, Amazon priced it almost 30 percent higher than Walmart did. Again, Amazon knows which products will drive price perception among shoppers.

“Amazon may not actually be the lowest-priced seller of a particular product in any given season,” the report reads, “but its consistently low prices on the highest-viewed and best-selling items drive a perception among consumers that Amazon has the best prices overall — even better than Walmart.”

The study was part of a white paper Boomerang released on Tuesday to bring attention to the idea of price perception in e-commerce. The startup has created a “price perception index,” which it described as “a numerical pricing model that captures customer psychology of price perception. It does so by providing a tangible statistic of how a company’s products … are priced, relative to the competition, weighted by customer interest.”
I use Amazon a lot as well (you got me beat by a mile though) and they are usually the first place I go when price shopping things I need or want...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode