Thank you o mighty andpowerful wood Gods lol - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

View Tommie Hockett's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you o mighty andpowerful wood Gods lol

so they have been smiling down upon me recently first off today right before work I was sanding on my clock when one of the contractors next door ( the renter recently moved out and left the place a wreck) came over and started asking me about my wood working projects and what all I could build and he asked If I could build decent lamps...can I build decent lamps ha so I took him inside to show him the lamps that I have still at the house and showed him pictures of others that I have given away and he really liked the floor lamp andasked if I could build him one and how much I told him $150 but I would need $50 up front and he reached in his wallet and pulled out $50 and asked if I could have it ready by valentines day for his Wife woohooo I just made my first sale so starting on a lamp tomorrow and then I get home and have two PM's on here and a friend brought me back a walnut log from hunting and then a possible new friend offered me a very rare piece of oak so I'm going to try and trade him some blanks... I'm so happy I think I'm crying lmao jkin don't take away my man card for that haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Yep...that hook is going in deep.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
dat (01-19-2013), Tommie Hockett (01-19-2013)
post #3 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
Mate ..... I got your man card now, come fight some fires with me and you can have it back lol

Good score. Glad you sold a lamp, hope you do a build thread.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:
Tommie Hockett (01-19-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 07:43 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Congrats! That's great news and must be a real confidence booster. Now post some pics of this wood score!
The Following User Says Thank You to ACP For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 12:38 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
You've had good fortune. May it continue and grow ever greater. I'm glad things are going well for your woodworking hobby.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaincarver Steve For This Useful Post:
dat (01-19-2013), Tommie Hockett (01-19-2013)
post #6 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
Mate ..... I got your man card now, come fight some fires with me and you can have it back lol

Good score. Glad you sold a lamp, hope you do a build thread.

Dave The Turning Cowboy
bud if I ever make it out to the out back you will be the first one I call don't however Know about the fighting fire though and ACP I haven't got any of it yet I gotta wait on the walnut log till bonanza gets better and the other one I'm waiting to hear back to see what he would like in trade other than a build thread of whatever I do with it and as far a a build thread I will try again I completely screwed up the first build thread I did with a floor lamp but keep an eye out and I will let you know when I get started in the mean time go check out my current build thread and let me know what yall think
post #7 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
tommie, congrats on the scores. Now one word from us older guys on here for you, PUNCTUATION!

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sawdustfactory For This Useful Post:
Chaincarver Steve (01-19-2013), Tommie Hockett (01-19-2013)
post #8 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 01:12 PM
dat

View dat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Yep...that hook is going in deep.

SPIT IT OUT QUICK!!!!!!

actually be carefull from here on out, to me that is where the fun stopped as much when I got paid for a few things. don't get me wrong, I still love woodworking and still like to get paid. I give away more than I should. remember to enjoy the time and wood and the smile on the face of the person that recieves your products. and spit out that hook before they set it
post #9 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Senior junior member

View Woodwart's Photo Album My Photos
Hey! Women like it when a man shows his sensitive side.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat View Post
SPIT IT OUT QUICK!!!!!!

actually be carefull from here on out, to me that is where the fun stopped as much when I got paid for a few things. don't get me wrong, I still love woodworking and still like to get paid. I give away more than I should. remember to enjoy the time and wood and the smile on the face of the person that recieves your products. and spit out that hook before they set it
All right bud I will do my best to remember that. You see I was going to try and build up some sort of inventory and try to sell at flea markets and craft fairs and then this happened!. I have this crazy idea that I may be able to turn what I love doing into a business ... Maybe.

EDIT: By the way I made everyone Christmas presents this year. The kids acted like wth you made me a lamp yeah thanks oh generous step dad. (can you hear my sarcasm) But on the bright side Chellie liked hers and so did my mother in law and my ma and dad.

Sawdust I will try to remember this very helpful tip about woodworking lol. Would you believe that grammar and literature were my two best classes in school, and now I have a hard time trying to figure out where exactly all this punctuation is supposed to go. Maybe I should go back to school I blame texting .

Last edited by Tommie Hockett; 01-19-2013 at 01:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tommie Hockett For This Useful Post:
sawdustfactory (01-19-2013)
post #11 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Good for you Tommie. It is a good feeling when you know someone is willing to pay you for your work. It's Definitely a boost of energy. Just don't let it get the best of you. Remember this is suppose to be fun so don't get frustrated. And yes a build thread is a must.

When it's rustic......it's rustic
The Following User Says Thank You to Dominick For This Useful Post:
post #12 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Good for you Tommie. It is a good feeling when you know someone is willing to pay you for your work. It's Definitely a boost of energy. Just don't let it get the best of you. Remember this is suppose to be fun so don't get frustrated. And yes a build thread is a must.
Allrighty then since you said so. I will even take pics of the milling part of it. Just as soon as the woman of the house gets up so we can head out to the country and get started.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 01:57 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie Hockett View Post
Would you believe that grammar and literature were my two best classes in school, and now I have a hard time trying to figure out where exactly all this punctuation is supposed to go. Maybe I should go back to school I blame texting .
Its not that hard really If youre unsure about where to put all those silly little dots dashes and squigglies you can always just append a package of punctuation onto the end of your post and let the readers sort it out for themselves They say well I just made it up but it sounds plausible that the more time someone spends reading your material the more interesting they find your work Sounds pretty logical to me After all why else would they read your stuff so much So why not take extra measures to ensure that your posts get more mindshare and eye time

.',.(,).?? <----- See? Now the post is interactive. And people are forced to spend more time to fully grasp the meaning. I call that a win-win. Punctuation is for "sucka's". *

* I'm a sucka'
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaincarver Steve For This Useful Post:
Dominick (01-19-2013), smokey1945 (01-19-2013), Tommie Hockett (01-19-2013)
post #14 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Tommy the woodworking gods are shining on you today. You are very lucky.

May be time to play the lottery.

I am familiar with the woodworking gods. They are in the shop with me most of the time, but it seems they frown on me more often than not.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post

I am familiar with the woodworking gods. They are in the shop with me most of the time, but it seems they frown on me more often than not.

Thanks bud and yeah they do quite a bit of frowning too, but i must have done something right. I will pass on the lottery, the lottery gods and wood gods are too way different entities entirely lol. And not to mention I work too hard for my money to throw it away.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 02:12 PM
dat

View dat's Photo Album My Photos
punctuation doesn't mean much to me on a forum, I figure that "most" of the time it goes through ok with or without.

kinda like my banjer pickin, I'll get all the right cords and notes in there somewhere, I just hope they're close to the right time.

I never paid attention much in English class except to the girl in the next row, and that didn't work out to purty good
The Following User Says Thank You to dat For This Useful Post:
post #17 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. But just as a side note to sawdust I'm just joking and its all in good fun.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine

I read your reply to Dave Tommie
there goes my +1 with extras
I too don't gamble so I was gonna say, "and buy one for me too". Dog nam it, there goes another one.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:
Tommie Hockett (01-20-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode