Termite advice needed. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 27Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 10-03-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Termite advice needed.

A few weeks ago my house was taken over by a swarm of flying termites and my daughter vacuumed them all up and put them in a plastic garbage bag. My house is all steel framing with stucco so Iím not worried about the house, but Iím rebuilding a shed out of 2x4 studs and today I saw a flying termite climb out.

I donít know how many more termites there are and the wood is very dry. The wood hasnít seen moisture in 20 years. So my question is should I do something to prevent them from taking over now? And since they havenít actually started digging in yet from what I see, can I just spray everything down with regular house barrier insecticide or do I need something specifically for termites?

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 10-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
I would take a few 12" pieces of soft white pine 2x4s and scrape
off some grass and put the wood on bare earth and press it in firmly.
check it weekly for any termite feeding or nesting.
if you do see evidence of the varmints, time to call the pest control folks
for at least an evaluation with the tools and techniques that they use.

Sleeper likes this.

-- I am a painter. That's what I do. I paint things --
post #3 of 45 Old 10-03-2019, 02:29 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Too bad they took Dursban off the consumer market, if you know anybody that has an ag applicators license they could get you some Lorsban, it's the same stuff
Sleeper and mjadams61 like this.

There is no app for experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 10-03-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I really don't know much about termites and it has always baffled me how fast the can eat wood. I can only guess that wood has to be wet for them to eat it, but I have no idea. My last house had treated 6x6 fir on the ground as landscaping borders and termites got into that. I never even knew it until I tried moving it. I was amazed how fast the ants ate them all as it fell apart. I have not killed ants since and only redirect them.

In this new place we have huge ants that keep busy all day long and I don't know what they are eating, but they're not interested in anything in the house. I'm hoping they be hunting terminates and I might even scoop a bunch of ants and throw them in the shed.
Catpower likes this.

JohnnyB

Last edited by Sleeper; 10-03-2019 at 03:53 PM.
post #5 of 45 Old 10-03-2019, 05:34 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
I really don't know much about termites and it has always baffled me how fast the can eat wood. I can only guess that wood has to be wet for them to eat it, but I have no idea. My last house had treated 6x6 fir on the ground as landscaping borders and termites got into that. I never even knew it until I tried moving it. I was amazed how fast the ants ate them all as it fell apart. I have not killed ants since and only redirect them.

In this new place we have huge ants that keep busy all day long and I don't know what they are eating, but they're not interested in anything in the house. I'm hoping they be hunting terminates and I might even scoop a bunch of ants and throw them in the shed.

Do you have imported red fire ants in your part of the world?

I moved to Texas from Iowa in 1980, I had never seen them before that, I was working on a Carrier condensing unit and there were ants all inside the control panel, so I went and got a drum of R22 and blew them out (back when that was legal)

Bad plan, I blew them all over me and I quickly learned why they are called fire ants LOL

The bit the S&*T out of me
mjadams61 likes this.

There is no app for experience
post #6 of 45 Old 10-03-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
Do you have imported red fire ants in your part of the world?

I moved to Texas from Iowa in 1980, I had never seen them before that, I was working on a Carrier condensing unit and there were ants all inside the control panel, so I went and got a drum of R22 and blew them out (back when that was legal)

Bad plan, I blew them all over me and I quickly learned why they are called fire ants LOL

The bit the S&*T out of me
We have large black ones here in AZ and I donít if theyíre native or not. I just had a conversation with someone complaining about bites and Iíve been fortunate thatís never happened to me.

I used to maintain roof units and every September I would get swarms of flying termites that would clog up my air filters, get inside my control panel causing problems with the contactors, plus they would die and clog up the drains causing the roof to leak below. They were a real pain in the butt.

I didnít like other people working on my units because they would always screw things up. Once I couldnít make it when one went out so they sent out an idiot coworker who sprayed everything with HotShot spider spray using the entire can. He did not know to check the contactors and burned out a compressor with a large screw driver. I had to replace the compressor without knowing about the Spider Spray and my arms broke out into a bloody mess that I still have problems with after 10 years so I avoid pesticides.
Catpower likes this.

JohnnyB
post #7 of 45 Old 10-03-2019, 09:51 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Termites (drywood or subterranean) = exterminator!!!
post #8 of 45 Old 10-04-2019, 10:56 PM

View 13579's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
A few weeks ago my house was taken over by a swarm of flying termites and my daughter vacuumed them all up and put them in a plastic garbage bag. My house is all steel framing with stucco so Iím not worried about the house, but Iím rebuilding a shed out of 2x4 studs and today I saw a flying termite climb out.

I donít know how many more termites there are and the wood is very dry. The wood hasnít seen moisture in 20 years. So my question is should I do something to prevent them from taking over now? And since they havenít actually started digging in yet from what I see, can I just spray everything down with regular house barrier insecticide or do I need something specifically for termites?
Sure order from Amazon a termacide. Same as the pros use but at a fraction of the cost

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Sleeper likes this.
post #9 of 45 Old 10-06-2019, 12:20 PM
CharleyL

View CharleyL's Photo Album My Photos
It would be best to hire a pro to inspect your property and treat if necessary, at least this first time. Once you are certain that you have no problems, or the problem has been treated, you can buy bait traps that contain a small piece of soft wood that is desert for termites in a plastic container and place these in the ground 3-10' away from your house and all the way around.They will find and eat this desert before going on to attacking your house. Inspect these for evidence of infestation every 6 months and call for help from the pros who are licensed to use insecticides when you find termites eating this bait. They will stop your termites before there is any further damage. The bait, being soft wood doesn't last forever so the bait wood will need to be replaced annually, but the plastic trap will last a very long time, unless damaged by a lawn mower, etc. I have these around my house and shop, but hire a friend who is a licensed exterminator to inspect and maintain them. He inspects and replaces the bait 2 times every year and treats a problem if needed for one fixed annual price with a guarantee. I get peace of mind out of it. Termites are very active in North Carolina.

Charley
GeorgeC likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharleyL For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (10-06-2019)
post #10 of 45 Old 10-06-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
It would be best to hire a pro to inspect your property and treat if necessary, at least this first time. Once you are certain that you have no problems, or the problem has been treated, you can buy bait traps that contain a small piece of soft wood that is desert for termites in a plastic container and place these in the ground 3-10' away from your house and all the way around.They will find and eat this desert before going on to attacking your house. Inspect these for evidence of infestation every 6 months and call for help from the pros who are licensed to use insecticides when you find termites eating this bait. They will stop your termites before there is any further damage. The bait, being soft wood doesn't last forever so the bait wood will need to be replaced annually, but the plastic trap will last a very long time, unless damaged by a lawn mower, etc. I have these around my house and shop, but hire a friend who is a licensed exterminator to inspect and maintain them. He inspects and replaces the bait 2 times every year and treats a problem if needed for one fixed annual price with a guarantee. I get peace of mind out of it. Termites are very active in North Carolina.

Charley
Thanks Charley, but I'm a DIY guy and there is no way I will ever hire a pro to inspect my property. It would cost more than me rebuilding a wall or replace a stud myself. Plus there are so many rip-off scams going on that I just can't trust anybody. Years ago I called a place just to get a price and they said the only real solution is to replace all the wood without even looking at it and they were correct. So I got rid of all of it.
I never heard of termite bait traps but I might do that.

JohnnyB
post #11 of 45 Old 10-06-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post

Charley

Absolutely correct. If you know that termites are active in your area a pro is the ONLY safe way to go. Near me a house was just practically rebuilt because of termite damage. All of the brick on the outside of a 2 story house was taken off to do the extensive repairs necessary. This house was bricked all the way to the eves on the second story. The damage remediation probably cost as much as it cost to build the house 15 hears ago.

The real protection in hiring a pro is that you get an insurance policy to repair damage. At least you should get the insurance, and if a pro does not offer it walk away. You also get someone who can do a yearly check to see if termites have been active in your house.

However, if you can afford the major expense of termite damage, then a do it yourself is OK.

George
post #12 of 45 Old 10-06-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
However, if you can afford the major expense of termite damage, then a do it yourself is OK.

George
George we are talking about a cheap 8'x10' wood shed with studs 2' OC and no interior wall covering. I can pull a stud out in less than 10 min.

JohnnyB
post #13 of 45 Old 10-06-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
George we are talking about a cheap 8'x10' wood shed with studs 2' OC and no interior wall covering. I can pull a stud out in less than 10 min.

Do not worry about your shed. If you have termites in your shed they are headed for or are already in your house. NOW is the time to tackle that problem.

George
Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #14 of 45 Old 10-06-2019, 07:53 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
We have drywood and subterranean termites here in Southern California. @GeorgeC is correct. Hire a professional.
post #15 of 45 Old 10-06-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Do not worry about your shed. If you have termites in your shed they are headed for or are already in your house. NOW is the time to tackle that problem.

George
My house is all steel construction with concrete floors and stucco walls and the only wood in the entire house is doors and cabinets so I have nothing to worry about. Even the roof is metal.

JohnnyB
post #16 of 45 Old 10-06-2019, 10:12 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
My house is all steel construction with concrete floors and stucco walls and the only wood in the entire house is doors and cabinets so I have nothing to worry about. Even the roof is metal.
Neighbors might not like termites. Get rid of them.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #17 of 45 Old 10-06-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
LOL, Neighbors are over 600 ft away and I'd be surprised if they didn't already have them since about a 1000 flew in a swarm. Besides I only saw one after we vacuumed them up and it still had wings

JohnnyB
post #18 of 45 Old 10-07-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post

I have neighbors who do not like termites. However, they are very nice people and I would not want to get rid of them.

George
Sleeper and TobyC like this.
post #19 of 45 Old 10-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Mossback

View TobyC's Photo Album My Photos
What is the stucco applied to? There is something between the metal studs and the stucco.
post #20 of 45 Old 10-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Newbie but oldie

View Rider351's Photo Album My Photos
Being an ex-AZ guy i will tell you - do not do this on your own. Get the pros in and they will go deep in the ground with chemicals that you and I cannot buy. Key is getting underground where the worker termites are. The will eat your shed in no time flat so get on it. Termites dig deep and will come up in the moist areas first..then consume the building...
T
Sleeper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode