Tapering a thin piece - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By difalkner

post #1 of 17 Old 02-18-2020, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Tapering a thin piece

I’m planning (hoping) to taper a 1” wide piece of ebony. The piece I’m starting with is already tapered, but one side is rough.

The piece is currently about 40” long and tapers from 3/16” to 1/16” at the narrow end.

I want the resulting piece to taper from 1/8” to basically nothing over a length of 31”

I expect to cut a taper on a separate board, attach the ebony to it and then cut the taper.

I’m looking for any suggestions/tips/advice on:

How do I attach the ebony to the other board? It needs to be held well enough that it doesn’t come loose during machining, but I do need to get it apart later.

How should I machine it? Ebony has a tendency to splinter, so I’m a little hesitant to run it through the planer. That said, my planer does have a shelix cutterhead, so maybe I get away with it?

I’d welcome any thoughts on how to pull this off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-18-2020, 09:20 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Are you wanting to attach the smooth side and machine the rough side? If that's the case I would use blue tape and CA glue.

Here's a quick video if you're not familiar with this method -

David
shoot summ likes this.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 17 Old 02-18-2020, 09:49 AM

View RickKr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
Are you wanting to attach the smooth side and machine the rough side? If that's the case I would use blue tape and CA glue.
...snip...
David
Nice trick. I will definitely use this in the future. I have both products, but the CA is in much smaller quantity. I'll find the stuff shown in the video or something similar.

I took some notice of his comment of not using too much CA, however, and that there did appear to be some on the right end of the workpiece after he took the tape off. See photo clipped from the video.

Residues on the workpiece would not work well for many projects.
Emphasizes the need to be careful about how much CA is used.

Also interesting is the accelerator he used. I have some, but in a small pump aerosol, consistent with the size/quantity of CA that I have/use. (Holdover from ancient days of balsa model airplane days.)

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA Residue.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	384903  

"Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-18-2020, 09:56 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
A drum sander would be the best machine for this IMO. Double sided tape will hold well enough. If I didn't have a sander I would use a hand plane.

The one time I tried the CA/tape trick with a router task turned into disaster. Maybe I didn't do it right.

Robert

Last edited by DrRobert; 02-18-2020 at 10:13 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-18-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
A drum sander would be the best machine for this. Double sided tape will hold well enough.

The one time I tried the CA/tape trick turned into disaster. Maybe I didn't do it right.
"drum sander" ...

If you have one. I don't and won't until I get a bigger shop.

What was the disaster? Use too much? Got it on other stuff? Curious as I want to try this method and being forewarned is good.

Rick

"Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."
post #6 of 17 Old 02-19-2020, 09:27 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
post #7 of 17 Old 02-19-2020, 10:49 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Be aware that different brands of tape have different holding strength, we use carpet tape to fasten carpet pads to our wooden stair treads for our dog to get traction, a white colored brand will release from the tread quite easily when we change it, a brown colored brand we used is almost impossible to remove.

If the tape has too great of a holding strength the very thin end may break when removing it so it may be wise to check it with scrap first.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #8 of 17 Old 02-19-2020, 10:55 AM

View Stevedore's Photo Album My Photos
Personally, I'd use a long strip of double sided tape (the thin type, not the foam) to hold the ebony to your pre-tapered "carrier" board. I'd use featherboards before & after the blade, & use a good push block, i.e., Grr-Ripper, to keep the whole thing snug against the fence while I made the cut on the ebony.

When I've used the double sided tape for similar processes, a good squeeze with clamps, vise, or whatever, can help ensure good contact between the tape & workpieces.

If the tape proves to be too grippy when you try & separate the pieces later, a heat gun would probably help, then some solvent to remove any residue.

Just my $.02. Good luck!
post #9 of 17 Old 02-19-2020, 10:59 AM

View woodshed's Photo Album My Photos
Piece is 1 inches wide. You can make a drum sander with drill press, sanding cylinder, and fence. Use double stick turners tape to mount ebony to tapered holder, not blue tape and CA. It come apart later, but start on fat part and use care on zero thickness part.

Run drill press on slow speed. Pull board through sander next to fence against cylinder rotation direction. Take many thinnest possible passes. Beware for kickback and stand out of the way. Have padded backstop in case cylinder grabs and throws piece, but if your passes are thin, this wont happen.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-19-2020, 11:44 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation Separating the piece afterwards ....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedore View Post
Personally, I'd use a long strip of double sided tape (the thin type, not the foam) to hold the ebony to your pre-tapered "carrier" board. I'd use featherboards before & after the blade, & use a good push block, i.e., Grr-Ripper, to keep the whole thing snug against the fence while I made the cut on the ebony.

When I've used the double sided tape for similar processes, a good squeeze with clamps, vise, or whatever, can help ensure good contact between the tape & workpieces.

If the tape proves to be too grippy when you try & separate the pieces later, a heat gun would probably help, then some solvent to remove any residue.

Just my $.02. Good luck!

Yep, that double sided sticky tape can be a bear to separate. Especially in this case where there is a taper to zero thickness, it may just break off. It would probably be best to make a catch edge or lip on the thick end, on the pre-tapered board to prevent the Ebony piece from moving in that direction rather than counting solely on the tape to hold it in position. My experience with sticky tape is that it lives up to it's name..... LOL.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 17 Old 02-19-2020, 12:28 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Quickstep, Here is my way of making very accurate wedges for hand planes. In your case... the jig would be longer, but the principle is the same. and will cut a taper ending at flush if needed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Garys Wedge Jig.pdf (355.4 KB, 19 views)

Gary
post #12 of 17 Old 02-19-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmercer_48083 View Post
Quickstep, Here is my way of making very accurate wedges for hand planes. In your case... the jig would be longer, but the principle is the same. and will cut a taper ending at flush if needed.

Very nice, Gary. I have a couple of those digital angle gauges. They work well.

Rick

post #13 of 17 Old 02-20-2020, 06:04 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Count me out on this one.
I would not trust the adhesive power on masking tape to hold a woodturning to a wood chuck or a template for template routing.
Then again, it would never occur to me to use 2 sided tape for template routing. An accident waiting to happen.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #14 of 17 Old 02-20-2020, 06:20 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Well, you just need to experiment then ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Count me out on this one.
I would not trust the adhesive power on masking tape to hold a woodturning to a wood chuck or a template for template routing.
Then again, it would never occur to me to use 2 sided tape for template routing. An accident waiting to happen.

Get a roll of carpet tape or other double sided tape of a known brand and stick two piece of 1/2" ply together and press them down. Use as much or as little tape as you think appropriate. Maybe make two long strips and another with smaller patches. Now try to pry or pull them apart. I'll betcha you will have a tough time. Much less for than a bearing bit would have against the template edge.... that's my experience at least.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #15 of 17 Old 02-20-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Get a roll of carpet tape or other double sided tape of a known brand and stick two piece of 1/2" ply together and press them down. Use as much or as little tape as you think appropriate. Maybe make two long strips and another with smaller patches. Now try to pry or pull them apart. I'll betcha you will have a tough time. Much less for than a bearing bit would have against the template edge.... that's my experience at least.
I wrote too quickly and made a mistake. That tends to happen when my internet keeps kicking in and out. Then it synchronizes with my brain kicking in and out. Anyway, what I said was "it would never occur to me to use 2 sided tape for template routing. An accident waiting to happen." What I meant to say was "it would never occur to me to use masking tape for template routing.An accident waiting to happen." In the past, I have used 2 sided tape in wood turnings. I just would never try it with masking tape and CA glue. Double sided carpet tape is very tenacious.
I just gotta stay off of here on my slow internet days - which is most of the time. Living in a state park is great, but the internet always sucks. I guess the carriers are not that concerned to set up some extra towers in out of the way places.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #16 of 17 Old 02-20-2020, 10:23 PM

Back on topic, if I am reading the original post correctly..............I would edge glue the workpiece to a scrap of wood. Do my tapering or whatever, then run it through the table saw and separate the two.

Tony B

post #17 of 17 Old 02-20-2020, 10:45 PM

View JohnGi's Photo Album My Photos
This is very easy to do with a hand plane if the piece is longer than you need, which yours is. If you plane right to left, set the thin end at the left end of the bench. Clamp the thick end to the bench way back at the thick end. Then just plane right to left--thick to thin. If the finish is rough, turn the piece over. The plane is pulling the wood into tension, so it won't buckle. I don't work with ebony, but I've planed hard maple to a tissue thin point this way. A #4 or #5 plane works well. Practice on a scrap piece. You can plane a straight taper any length and taper with a little practice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode