tapered table legs - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

View kjhart0133's Photo Album My Photos
tapered table legs

Hello all,

I'm making a dining table for my son and his new wife. (See attached sketch.) They wanted tapered legs as opposed to turned spindles. Since this is going to be a fairly good sized table, I planned on using 3" square blanks for the legs and making two-sided tapers on my tapering jig. I've done this before, but never for a 3" blank. After making up the blanks, I realize that they are too big for the tapering jig, mainly because my 10" table saw only shows 3" of blade at max height. Subtract the thickness of the tapering jig deck and I've only got about 2-1/2 inches of blade showing.

I suppose I could cut the tapers on my band saw and clean up the blade marks with a smoothing plane and some sanding, but does anyone out there have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin H.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	table3.jpg
Views:	2142
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	55751  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 01:09 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Don't know what you have for tools or the type of taper jig. With many, you can flip the leg over and cut from both sides to meet in the middle, more or less. You can cut all the way through with most bandsaws. The cut can be cleaned up with a belt sander, hand plane or jointer. Clamp the legs together if sanding or planing so they will all be relatively equal.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You could cut them on the band saw, or use a simple hinged/pivot tapering jig that goes between the stock and the fence. I might leave a bit more than 1" on the leg bottom for a table that size.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 01:46 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
My taper jig is an inexpensive one which looks like this one from Woodcraft. I think mine was purchased from Sears.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...taper-jig.aspx

It holds the wood at an angle and does not consume any blade height.

You can make a plywood equivalent using the present jig to get the angle. Just need an "L" type foot to push the wood.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 04:40 PM

View clpead's Photo Album My Photos
you could make a jig specific for this project. one that allows the leg to move across the table. I just did something similar to this. just make your spacer block the distance of the material that you want to remove. so if you want your final thickness to be one inch, then make your spacer block 2 inches.

Sorry, I didn't read Dave's post. Same thing he is saying basically.
Attached Images

post #6 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpead View Post

Sorry, I didn't read Dave's post. Same thing he is saying basically.
Same thing I was saying too.

post #7 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 06:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
this is dirt simple

It uses a screw that adjusts in and out for the amount of taper you need. It has a foot on the end to catch the end of the leg so you can push it through the saw:

If you have a jointer:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-25-2012 at 06:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Gary Beasley (11-26-2012)
post #8 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
My taper jig is an inexpensive one which looks like this one from Woodcraft. I think mine was purchased from Sears.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...taper-jig.aspx

It holds the wood at an angle and does not consume any blade height.

You can make a plywood equivalent using the present jig to get the angle. Just need an "L" type foot to push the wood.
That is the most common tapering jig I have seen. Same one I have. Same thing to which Cabinetman was referring.

That should do the job for you. You can easily make one just like that.

George
post #9 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 PM
that is all

View just Josh's Photo Album My Photos
I was going to try to explain how to do it with a jointer, but I see a vie has already been posted. Done this once, many moons ago, works like a charm
post #10 of 15 Old 11-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Old School

IMO, doing the taper on the table saw, or band saw with a two part pivoting jig would offer a more accurate and faster process. It would be a one pass per taper. Doing it on the jointer would require many passes, and be more difficult to make accurate repetitious profiles.

post #11 of 15 Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 AM

View johnmark's Photo Album My Photos
if you want to go old school, you could draw a line, make saw cuts down to the line every few inches, chisel, then plane it flat

most people make a hinged jig and run it through a table saw though.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-26-2012, 09:26 PM

View Midlandbob's Photo Album My Photos
Yes

A pencil, a straight edge, a band saw and a good hand plane (ideally at least a # 5 or #6). You could do four legs in 30 minutes plus or minus a few.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

View kjhart0133's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks all for the helpful replies. I ended up making a custom taper jig for just this use out of two thickness of plywood.

The first picture below shows the jig that I cut on the bandsaw. It was a nice tight fit. I also made a test leg out of plywood that I tapered first. The picture also shows a finished walnut leg. When I tapered the walnut leg it was two inches longer (30"). I make it longer so that when I cut the mortise and fit the tenon, I don't split the top of the leg. Once I have the mortise and tenons done, I cut off the extra two inches as shown in this picture.

The second picture shows the test leg fitted into the jig. The third picture shows the test leg and jig on the table saw. In the fourth shot my Lovely Assistant keeps gentle pressure on the outfeed side to prevent the leg and jig from drifting away from the far end of the fence.

I made one mistake and had to remake one leg from scratch. I had the wrong side up when I started the taper. Since the mortises were already cut, I had to have the correct side up so I would have the mortises on the proper sides when the tapers were done. Well, wouldn't you know on the last leg I got the wrong side up and realized when I was half way through the cut. Dang!

After making a new leg, all four legs are now tapered and they came out fine. Glad I'm done with that, though.

Kevin H.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	e_IMG_6699.jpg
Views:	2552
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	57381  

Name:	e_IMG_6697.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	57382  

Name:	e_IMG_6709.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	57383  

Name:	r_c_IMG_6676.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	57384  

Last edited by kjhart0133; 12-17-2012 at 07:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kjhart0133 For This Useful Post:
jeffsw6 (12-26-2012)
post #14 of 15 Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Nice work!!
post #15 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM

View makin_sawdust's Photo Album My Photos
OMG, I have read about making tapered cuts on a table saw so many times, and never fully grasped the concept until reading this thread and seeing the pics, THANKS

Makin sawdust is my name for hangin out in my woodshop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode