TableSaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

View splinter2's Photo Album My Photos
TableSaw

Iam some what of a Hobbist in the Woodworking, And I bought a TS from Sear's some 25 years ago, It Has severd me well, But I would Love to Upgrade, and there are so many TS out there, and still to this Day out of my Price Range, I have a Craftmans 10" saw Now, Model # Iam not sure of, as Iam at work, But it a Full size, with the extended wings. I have looked on Craigslist hundreds of times and Iam either to late or its Junk, What are some brands you all have, Iam not against buying New, its just there so darn expensive, I also would have to stay with a 110 not the 220, as My shop does'nt have 220, and probably will never have unless I was to change my pannel Box, but that a whole other story.

Splinter2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 04:18 PM

View BigBull's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Dewalt 746 (I think) as my back up was. and a Jet Xacta Saw Large I use as my main saw. The Jet I bought new it was a little pricey and the Dewalt I bought used from a guy needing money.

I say buy the biggest and most saw you can afford. Maybe check out Grizzly or Powermatic.

"Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer, 'Am I worth dying for?'"

Eleanor Roosevelt
post #3 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 05:38 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I used to have the Craftsman 22114, now replaced by the 22116

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...3&blockType=G3

I see this is presently on sale for $900.

You do not state the price range, or what feature(s) you are looking to get with a new saw.

The old 22114 had a Biesmeyer "commercial" fence which was the best feature of the saw. Very solid and repeatable. The new one has Steel City fence.

If you find a new saw is too expensive, consider a fence upgrade to e.g., a Biesmeyer. It will make a big improvement to the present saw.

If you need to stay with 110v, the 22116 is the max HP you will find, 1 3/4HP, same as my old 22114. This was sufficient for most tasks, but not for 8/4 lumber or dense woods like maple, purpleheart. This was the reason I upgraded to a 220v machine with 3HP motor.

Check out the Grizzly hybrid saw, $800.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...Series-/G0715P

As the earlier reply stated, get the biggest saw you can afford. Upgrading is expensive. Getting rid of the old machine can be difficult. I was able to pass mine onto a friend who pass his onto another friend who did not have a table saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it were me and wanted to stay with 110v I would stay with the sears table saw you already have. The biggest benifit to upgrading the saw is more horse power and without 220v your not going to get it. If you want to add a 220v line to your shop it isn't that hard you can send me a personal message and I will help you. To post an electrical question here kind of tends to go nuts.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 08:30 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Have you considered adding a new fence to your existing saw? Something like the Delta T2 is a nice upgrade from most of those old stock Emerson fences, and only runs ~ $153 shipped from Tools-plus.com. A new blade always breathes new life into a saw too....
post #6 of 6 Old 06-08-2012, 10:12 PM

View Boss O' The Shop's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
Have you considered adding a new fence to your existing saw? Something like the Delta T2 is a nice upgrade from most of those old stock Emerson fences, and only runs ~ $153 shipped from Tools-plus.com. A new blade always breathes new life into a saw too....
I agree...I just added a Delta T-2 Fence to my older Craftsman Table Saw, replaced the cast zinc pulley wheels with machined steel and changed out the v-belt with a link belt. HUGE difference in performance for around $200 in parts.

"The more I know people, the more I like my tools."

One man's journey to build a woodshop, one rusty piece of junk at a time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode