Woodworking Talk banner

Table Top

744 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  35015 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Simple answer yes, sometimes.

You will find several schools of thought on this, all rings in same orientation, alternate rings, turn boards end for end, much depends on material you are using among other factors. A craftsman knows the wood he is using and how it will react so builds accordingly.

#4 ·
Hi djg,

This topic is a large section of some writing I'm doing for publication. I can expand on it in some detail (if your interested at all?) and you (et al) could help with me developing the chapter by your questions.

In short, as Frank has correctly stated, there is not "correct" or "incorrect" on this topic, nor does the table size (field diaphragm structurally) matter at all. Nor does species or thickness. When I state "does not matter," I mean this in the context of vernacular context. If I was doing a strict historical design of a Roubo Large Slab workbench, for example, I would have no choice but to place the "pith side up" as this is how Roubo designed and built his benches. Then it would be a true "Roubo Replicate Workbench."

However, that is the complete opposite of how I build them, nor how the majority of large slab, workbench, harvest table, floor systems, or the like ever where built historically in many (most?) wood cultures. The "bark" always goes up or, as many of the Asian traditions speak of it..."the wood goes in the work as it grew or fell in the forest."

This is true for glue ups as well. Bark up, side by side. Yet the other methods exists within style and cultural context, and can be (of course)..."made to work."

I can expand on all this, if you wish?

Regards,

j

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.