Table Saw/Router workstation project - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 35 Old 12-28-2010, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

View MariahHolt's Photo Album My Photos
Table Saw/Router workstation project

Table Saw/Router workstation

Iím currently working on building a Table Saw/Router workstation based on ShopNotes #89. Iím about 1/3 completed at this point. Will post pictures and some of my notes later.

Iíd like to be able to utilize the table saws fence at part of the fence for my router table. Rather then putting additional T-tracks or putting holes in my tabletop. I was thinking about building the router fence that slips over my Biesemeyer fence.

My question is in dust collection from the fence. I like the idea of the vacuum/dust collection from the side that would be a little bit less hose to manage vs. having it come from the top. Would I lose a dramatically amount of dust collection having it pull down the side vs. the top?

(I found a few pics of what I was thinking about making.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top suck.jpg
Views:	13271
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	19386  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-28-2010, 06:52 PM
friends = joy

View A-1 Jim's Photo Album My Photos
I made one pretty close to 2nd photo of a fence and the dust collection works pretty well ,maybe 85% of the saw dust is collected. You can collect more if you able to collect from below the table also.
post #3 of 35 Old 12-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-1 Jim View Post
I made one pretty close to 2nd photo of a fence and the dust collection works pretty well ,maybe 85% of the saw dust is collected. You can collect more if you able to collect from below the table also.

Yep, Enclosing the router from underneath, adding another hose, will substantially increase your dust collection.

Pain in the butt, if you dont have a router lift.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 12-28-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

2 dust hoses

Oh yea, I was going to put in a "T" and some blast gates (section off between the tablesaw and the router table). One hose from the dust collector to the "T" from that "T" one hose to the tablesaw and the other to the router table. From the router tab split into 2 hoses one for the fence and one for down under.
post #5 of 35 Old 12-28-2010, 09:01 PM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
No gravity is on your side. My friend and fellow woodworker has almost exactly what you have described and it works great. I have used his setup which consists of a Delta TS and a biesmeyer fence. He built a beautiful off feed table and right side table with Cabinets below. The router is mounted top and is accessible from the Cabinets. He slides the biesmeyer fence over and it doubles as his fence for the router. He has a wood fence that drops over the biesmeyer to house the vacuum system that is piped from underneath. This auxiliary fence also allows for attaching different hold Downs and things depending on what your doing on the router. I've said for years I wanted to do it in my shop just never have time. He is retired by the way LOL
post #6 of 35 Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 PM

View PSDkevin's Photo Album My Photos
Id like to build that too. What's the date of that issue of SN. I subscribe but don't remember seeing that project. Just what the doc ordered for my small shop
post #7 of 35 Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 PM
No Longer Here

View MastersHand's Photo Album My Photos
The router lift mentioned above is definitely worth it. I have one on all my tables in the shop and set up time is a breeze
The Following User Says Thank You to MastersHand For This Useful Post:
mdntrdr (12-28-2010)
post #8 of 35 Old 12-28-2010, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

ShopNotes Issue #089 Sep-Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDkevin View Post
Id like to build that too. What's the date of that issue of SN. I subscribe but don't remember seeing that project. Just what the doc ordered for my small shop

ShopNotes Issue #089 Sep-Oct 2006
The Following User Says Thank You to MariahHolt For This Useful Post:
SteveEl (03-07-2011)
post #9 of 35 Old 12-28-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Router Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersHand View Post
The router lift mentioned above is definitely worth it. I have one on all my tables in the shop and set up time is a breeze

On the subject of router lifts, I was going to cut the hole and mount an aftermarket router plate in it. I'd like to think someday that I'll get a router lift. Can I just swap out the plate for a lift system in the future? If so what size of plate should I aim for?
post #10 of 35 Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Scotty D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariahHolt View Post
On the subject of router lifts, I was going to cut the hole and mount an aftermarket router plate in it. I'd like to think someday that I'll get a router lift. Can I just swap out the plate for a lift system in the future? If so what size of plate should I aim for?

They vary,

But cutting the hole and rabbiting the recess is no big deal, you'r gonna do it to your new top, and if in the future your lift happens to require a smaller hole, it's time for a new top anyhow.

Scott

"Like" us on facebook
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #11 of 35 Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariahHolt View Post
There are 3 sizes of router plates that I know of: 8 1/4 x 11 3/4 . 9 x 12 and 9 1/4 x 11 3/4, so make sure that the hole you make will accept one of these sizes. Jessem lift make 2 sizes of plates, others like Bench Dog make the smaller size, Woodpeckers is another lift. Check out the lifts first, then make youropening that size. I use the Bench Dog cast iron tables and the Jessem Mast R lifts. I really like that combination. bill
This may help: http://ptreeusa.com/routerPlates.htm

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-28-2010 at 11:52 PM.
post #12 of 35 Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
I would recommend a separate fence for the router table.
I added a router table extension to my saw. At first I used the Bies. sytle (Exacta) fence for routing, building add ons to it.
I got to realize, that, quite often, I needed to go back and rip a piece, and had to unset the fence for routing.
2 short t tracks and a dedicated fence were much better.
I bought a Rockler, aluminum/mdf fence, that had 2 faces, so you can adjust the opening, and shim the outfeed side for jointing, etc. It was around $30, but don't see it in the catalog, which just came.
I also bought a pack of their fence shims, for $5.
I usually make stuff like that, and use whatever for shims, but this was a simple, inexpensive solution, that has worked great.
post #13 of 35 Old 12-29-2010, 09:31 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I would recommend a separate fence for the router table.
I added a router table extension to my saw. At first I used the Bies. sytle (Exacta) fence for routing, building add ons to it.
I got to realize, that, quite often, I needed to go back and rip a piece, and had to unset the fence for routing.
2 short t tracks and a dedicated fence were much better.....
If possible, have a separate fence for your router table, so you don't have to make a new set up if you need to use the Table saw! This is the main objection or having both the router and table saw mated together. A separate fence solves this issue. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #14 of 35 Old 03-06-2011, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Progress on Table Saw/Router Workstation

Made a lot of progress on my table-saw/router workstation over the last week or so. Top is bolted on, got all the trim done, all the drawers are done and drawer fronts on. I've got some drawer pulls on their way in. Found a good deal on ebay for some stainless steel ones. Still looking for just the right router plate to start on that side of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	15031
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	21881  

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	13131
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	21882  

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	4137
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	21883  

post #15 of 35 Old 03-07-2011, 12:02 AM
Scotty D

That is a sweet setup!

Great job!

Are you considering an outfeed table to go with it?
If you cut anything over 3', it is pretty much a necessity.

Scott

"Like" us on facebook
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #16 of 35 Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
Wow! That looks great!

Very nice job on that..... I am hoping to make some thing like that in the near future as well.

keep up the good work.

Fabian

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #17 of 35 Old 03-07-2011, 12:10 PM

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
Wow, that's nice. I wish I had enough shop time to justify building one of my own. Can't quite tell from the pics.... did you already route extensions for the TS miter slots?
post #18 of 35 Old 03-07-2011, 02:17 PM

View Kirkus's Photo Album My Photos
That's looking really nice, Mariah. I just finished building one using the same plans as a starting point. I especially like your larger top. I only added extensions to my table and nothing extra on the back end.

Really, really nice job.

Gakkuri
post #19 of 35 Old 07-31-2011, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Follow Up

I just wanted to follow up on my table saw workstation build. I've been using my setup now for about 6 moths. I've really enjoyed my table saw workstation! (True it's not the same as upgrading to a true cabinet saw.) The storage aspect of it is great. It has a huge cutting table top surface. I like the fact that the table top extends well beyond the overhang of the table saw motor thus protecting the motor from anything that falls off the cutting surface. The router table add-on is great. (I'm not too crazy with the router fence I made. Its rather big and heavy, made from MDF.)

Lessons learned from the build:

If your building one, look carefully at the contractor saw you own vs. just following the plans. My cast iron top and base differs a slight bit than the one in the plans. I wasn't able to utilize 100% all the space available in my build.

I wish I would have used a true hard hardwood vs the douglas fur I used for my trim around the top edge.

Cutting out the area of the top for the table saw to fit around into was really tough! I have a slight bit of a gap around mine that I wish I could have avoided. It fills up with saw dust. (Having a buddy help moving around the MDF/melamine would come in handy.)

Last edited by MariahHolt; 09-22-2011 at 11:08 PM.
post #20 of 35 Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 AM

View mn pete's Photo Album My Photos
Wow! That thing is serious! Nicely done. Do you have any plans for an outfeed table, or maybe a workbench of the same height behind the saw?

Pete
Follow my woodworking adventures...
http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode