• 1 Post By flytoolow
  • 1 Post By JIMMIEM
  • 1 Post By Alchymist
  • 1 Post By FrankC
  • 1 Post By Alchymist

post #1 of 10 Old 08-20-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

View JRboostGSR's Photo Album My Photos
Table saw dust collection

Just wanted to run it by my fellow wood workers to see if I知 doing a okay job on my table saw for dust collection after the cherry wood misshapen with burning my skin so thought I put my dust collection on my table saw.
Thank you
Freddy
BuiltinWestchester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-20-2018, 01:56 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I see a few issues ...

Table saw dust collection is one of most difficult machines to achieve perfect results! You either need a DC with the velocity and CFM of a small jet engine OR allow gravity to do it's thing and settle the dust down into a funnel shaped inlet. Your inlet is dead flat and the inlet pipe sticks up about 1/2" or so. That will make it more difficult for the dust to get into it, so make it flush. You will find, and I have pretty much the same setup, that a lot of dust will collect in the corners and never make it down the inlet. I just deal with it by taking a narrow stick and moving it towards the inlet with the DC under power. It works for the moment, but it just comes back again.

A gradually sloping bottom panel or a funnel shape would work better than a dead flat one, BUT it wouldn't be 100% better, just more better.
JIMMIEM and JRboostGSR like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-20-2018 at 02:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (08-20-2018)
post #3 of 10 Old 08-20-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Table saw dust collection is one of most difficult machines to achieve perfect results! You either need a DC with the velocity and CFM of a small jet engine OR allow gravity to do it's thing and settle the dust down into a funnel shaped inlet. Your inlet is dead flat and the inlet pipe sticks up about 1/2" or so. That will make it more difficult for the dust to get into it, so make it flush. You will find, and I have pretty much the same setup, that a lot of dust will collect in the corners and never make it down the inlet. I just deal with it by taking a narrow stick and moving it towards the inlet with the DC under power. It works for the moment, but it just comes back again.

A gradually sloping bottom panel or a funnel shape would work better than a dead flat one, BUT it wouldn't be 100% better, just more better.

I知 sure gonna make it flush I知 kind of coping off a wood worker on the forum he sent me some pics but only the outside so I知 making it up as I go along thank you very much

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-20-2018, 03:57 PM

View flytoolow's Photo Album My Photos
Why not take out the whole center piece of wood and make the hole larger. If going this route, make sure all seams are air tight
JIMMIEM likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-21-2018, 10:46 AM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

I used one of those dust hoods under my contractor ts, but like you said a lot of dust builds up in the flat corners. The dust hood has a slight slope to it but the cabinet itself has the lip that makes for flat edges and corners.
I also made an over the blade dust collector.
The whole setup isn't perfect but gets most of the dust. And I've got a separator between the saw and dust collector which I'm sure causes a loss of suction.
JRboostGSR likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to JIMMIEM For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (08-21-2018)
post #6 of 10 Old 08-21-2018, 02:29 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoolow View Post
Why not take out the whole center piece of wood and make the hole larger. If going this route, make sure all seams are air tight
When I refurbished my Grizzly, I cut a hole in the top of the stand to match the opening in the bottom of the Grizzly's cabinet, about 16" or so square. This lets most of the sawdust drop through into the drawer below. I just slide the drawer out and dump it occasionally.

The sawdust in the drawer in the second picture is what was captured from 2 passes of the 2X10 shown. It doesn't capture sawdust from above the table, but it does ease cleanup substantially.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6535.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	365290  

Name:	IMG_6536.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	365292  

JRboostGSR likes this.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alchymist For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (08-21-2018)
post #7 of 10 Old 08-21-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
When I refurbished my Grizzly, I cut a hole in the top of the stand to match the opening in the bottom of the Grizzly's cabinet, about 16" or so square. This lets most of the sawdust drop through into the drawer below. I just slide the drawer out and dump it occasionally.

The sawdust in the drawer in the second picture is what was captured from 2 passes of the 2X10 shown. It doesn't capture sawdust from above the table, but it does ease cleanup substantially.

That痴 real nice like the idea do you have pics of the inside?

post #8 of 10 Old 08-21-2018, 03:17 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Best system I ever had for bottom end of a contractor saw was the kit Craftsman offered with the plastic frame and the bag that attached to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	365304  

JRboostGSR likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Last edited by FrankC; 08-21-2018 at 03:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (08-21-2018)
post #9 of 10 Old 08-21-2018, 04:07 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRboostGSR View Post
That痴 real nice like the idea do you have pics of the inside?

Not much to it -hole cut in the top of the base, drawer mounted underneath. First pic looking into the back of the saw, second is from underneath with drawer out. Drawer was made as close as possible to sides/back of the base.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6681.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	365306  

Name:	IMG_6683.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	365308  

JRboostGSR likes this.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alchymist For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (08-21-2018)
post #10 of 10 Old 08-21-2018, 06:42 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Common sense dust collection .... theory?

Here's my theory of dust collection based on years of observing flying and fallen dust particles. As long as they are flying, you can capture them, but once they have fallen (out of the air stream) you can't catch them. The fallen ones have been effected by gravity, and it's too late for them.

So what's the answer? Like I said earlier, a giant high velocity, high volume "sucker" with a minimum of 5 HP maybe 10 HP. This will probably collapse the top on your table saw, but it will suck out all the dust.
We don't like that answer much at all. To have a dust collector with more HP than your table saw seems counter productive, counter intuitive. So, we all struggle with under powered 1 1/2 HP or 2 Hp upright dust collectors like Jets and Harbor Freight units. Those who are brave enough to try the 3 HP versions like the twin bag Grizzly and cyclones are rewarded with better performance.

For those who have tried overarm dust collection on the table saw, like myself, that's a pretty good method to keep the air cleaner, but even that won't get all the dust that ends up inside the cabinet. The best solution, and the newer table saws have have it, is a blade shroud that encloses the blade with a shop vac port immediately behind off the rear. This captures the dust right at it's point of generation, is not in the way like an over arm system and can use the smaller easier to manage hose size of the shop vac. I own a Bosch job site saw with that shroud and it really works well.

That's my theory.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-21-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode