Table legs, diamond shaped - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-05-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

View ssciberras's Photo Album My Photos
Table legs, diamond shaped

I would like to make a small coffee table. The main purpose for this would be to exercise my skills in hand-sawing and chiselling, so I already know that the missus will find a nice corner were to hide it...

I wish to attach the table legs in a different way, not at right angles , but diamond shape.

The attached image will show what i intend better. I have tried looking up anything on Google, but i did not find any examples. Is this because I am doing something stupid? or silly?

Thanks

Stefe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	table legs.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	241841  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-05-2016, 09:57 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It would be a challenge, but....

It would be easier if you worked at the very end of the leg rather than stepped down or within the bevel. That way you can saw a flat on the bevel and work in from the end for the mortise. Tenons would be the same as normally made.

If it were me, I'd use a bandsaw to saw the flat and make the tenons and a dado set with a jig to hold the piece on the table saw. It wouldn't take much hand chiselling that way... just me.

I do like the idea, and I've seen it somewhere but couldn't find an image either. :frown2:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 6 Old 06-05-2016, 10:10 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Once you have all 4 legs cut to length and width, number your legs and mark the 2 corners where the apron will attach. Cut a flat on each corner to start your mortise.
I prefer to cut my mortise first.
This will be tricky to clamp when gluing up. I suggest using a band clamp and glue up all 4 legs/aprons at once.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-05-2016, 10:56 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Might be what woodenthings suggested but the joint would be easier if you milled the leg on a angle where the rails fit and then do the mortise and tenon.
Attached Images

post #5 of 6 Old 06-06-2016, 02:57 AM

View jeremymcon's Photo Album My Photos
Yup. Cutting a flat area on the corner of the legs seems simplest.

Layout for your mortise may be tricky if you're using hand tools - you won't have a flat, square face to reference your mortising/marking gauge on. Unless... Depending on the size of the legs you could maybe cut the flats, and then reference your marking gauge off the flats you cut, since they'll be side by side. If they're both perfectly 45 degrees to the sides of the legs, they should be 90 to each other... I think, anyway.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-06-2016, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

View ssciberras's Photo Album My Photos
Many thanks to all.

I was wondering if there would be any weaknesses in my layout.

I will be usibg 3x3 wood, found some redwood that is practically quartersawn for the legs, and will then be using a 1.5 x 6 for the table top (three pieces)

I will try sketching my ideas, and wilí report how I went.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode