Table leg questions - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-07-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

View MariahHolt's Photo Album My Photos
Table leg questions

I’m slowly working on designing a gaming table, that I plan on making later this year. My main design ideas come from this: The Geekchichq, Sultan table which sells for a lot! (A fully loaded customized table can run upwardsof 25K.) This Sultan table is very fancy and IMO maybe a bit over the top.

I’ve got a few questions about table leg design.

My question is with this fancy table, the table legs and base. This picture shows some fancy legs along with cross bracing member that runs between the legs. Besides wacking your shins on them what do? Do they add that much level of support to this large table top? And are these cross bracingreally needed?

Are there any rough rules of thumb about table leg thickness vs. the weight they support? I’m a bit concerned that if I made legs that thatwere something like 3”x3”, that with the weight of the table might causedenting to my wood floor.

Are there any pros or cons with making an open table legs with 4 boards (See Pic below), vs trying to do a solid leg?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15 - wMCs1GE.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	214090  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-08-2016, 07:04 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
What kind of a gaming table are you writing about?

I have never seen anything like the one in the attached image. It certainly is not for games like poker.

George
post #3 of 8 Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Unless the table is dragged around the room it doesn't necessarily have to have the cross bracing at the bottom. If air is put under the table when moved the bracing could be left off. Granted it makes the table base stronger but if you are sitting at the table that would be awful. If the table is used at the sides only you could put a single brace down the middle instead of attaching to the legs.

The legs could easily be made hollow like you have shown however I would plan on making them solid four to six inches from the top in order to have something to mount to the top.

The table appears to be made of teak. What material do you plan to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-08-2016, 09:15 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
The table bracing is called stretchers. They provide lateral support. I dont know of any standards and so I have to rely on instinct and experience. In this case, especially with the massive top section, I would think that the stretchers are absolutely necessary. It's not just dragging that you have to worry about, it's also because of bodies leaning and bumping it. These stretchers could also act as a foot rest.
There are other ways of making stretchers such as making the long side with a stretcher down the middle instead of the outside framework. The next problem is designing the legs themselves to handle the stress. Looks like the original design has already done that.

I'm sure there are engineering formulas for the weight carrying, however from a practical point of view, Normal table legs are very strong. The problem is with the joinery holding them to the table top and not with the weight of the table top.

Making hollow table legs as you show is perfectly acceptable, again, vertical load strength is tremendous.
Me personally, I would have made the legs butt joined rather than mitered. Mitered joints are rarely perfect and so there will tend to be one corner that is not perfect. This could be a future problem. There are techniques for doing this correctly, though. This is just my opinion.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B

Last edited by Tony B; 02-08-2016 at 09:31 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-08-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

View MariahHolt's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
What kind of a gaming table are you writing about?

I have never seen anything like the one in the attached image. It certainly is not for games like poker.

George

Its for table top games, and role playing gaming.

https://www.geekchichq.com/collectio...sultan-deposit
post #6 of 8 Old 02-08-2016, 06:37 PM

View Quo Fan's Photo Album My Photos
Sitting at that table, the stretchers would bother the heck out of me.

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-09-2016, 06:57 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo Fan View Post
Sitting at that table, the stretchers would bother the heck out of me.
Yes, you are correct. I guess that is why I assumed that it was not for any type of game where the participants would be sitting.

I guess they stand for "table top" games.

George
post #8 of 8 Old 02-09-2016, 07:16 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you think about it there are a lot of dining tables and pool tables around that don't have stretchers between the legs. The table would just need more structure at the top than if stretchers used.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode