table building! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 07-21-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

View mwood343's Photo Album My Photos
table building!

Hi everyone, I am starting my first ever woodworking project, and I may now know less than when I started!! the short version is I have two big pieces of Mesquite wood and 4 pieces of walnut to put in the center and along the end's to make the table longer and wider. I am trying to come up with the best way to join the pices together for strength. have looked at pocket holse with a kreg joint, have thought about butterfly joints, but feel that would make it too busy, am not convinced gluing would be strong enough for a table top, especially as it would be difficult to clamp!! I have attached (hopefully) a rough picture to illustrate what I am trying to do! any advice would be awesome! thanks.

Matt
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Custom stair builder

View Treeoflifestairs.com's Photo Album My Photos
You'd be surprised how strong a good glue joint can be. I use biscuits along with wood glue. I use the biscuits primarily just the keep the boards more flush while they are drying in the pipe clamps. Also be sure to incorporate an apron on the table to help keep it nice and flat.

Check out some of my custom stairs
post #3 of 5 Old 07-21-2013, 01:23 PM

View RMK Designs's Photo Album My Photos
Hi,

You could try splines to join pieces. Cut the slots on the edge 1/2" deep and 1/4" wide and use a piece of wood 1/4" thick by 1" wide to spline pieces together. You will want the spline grain running perpendicular to the joint for strength. Also remember if the wood grain of the top runs in different directions you will need to allow for wood movement. Your end pieces look to be perpendicular to the top. You can spline those but glue only one side into the groove (the side that is in long grain) and screw the other side with elongated screw holes. This will allow movement of the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-21-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

View mwood343's Photo Album My Photos
awesome thanks fr the help! there are several articles on motise and tenon joinery (using a loose tennon) that look remarkbly like the biscuits, there are jogs you could get at about $140 (beadlock) would this be the same type of thing you guys have talked about with the spines, and with the biscuits? any advantages to any of the options? thanks again, you guys are aweosme!
post #5 of 5 Old 07-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
How thick is the wood?

To me, that looks like a good candidate for a tongue and groove joint. That would give the structural strength as well as ensuring the pieces stay where you put them, and it provides a lot of good gluing surface.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode