Table advice/help! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

View Wise's Photo Album My Photos
Table advice/help!

I am not a proffessional woodworker, nor is it a hobby, I am a DIY kinda guy, but I have a problem involveing wood, so I thought I should ask the experts!

I have a wooden table, it open and closes with (i belive its called tongue and groove) kind of wooden mechenism, on the one side of the table the base of this mechenism has come loose, its an old table and I belive just over time the screws have started to pull out, now my question is what would the best method of "filling" or repairing these holes so I can reattach base to to the table, I know this might be vauge, but I will try and answer any questions!

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 10:44 AM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
Toothpicks and wood glue.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
How thick is the top? The best is to drill the old hole
out and epoxy a dowel in the hole and re drill for the
screw.

You need to sand the dowel off flush.

Take care to not drill through the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 11:14 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck1957 View Post
Toothpicks and wood glue.

This works really well. All you are doing is adding more meat (filling the void) for the screws to hold on to. You can also use wood splinters (heavy duty) to fill the void. Also check to see if the screws are warn. Red

Red
post #5 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 11:18 AM

View raskgle's Photo Album My Photos
screws

You can use larger screws not longer but larger dia. take old screw for new one . Raskgle.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM View Post
The best is to drill the old hole out and epoxy a dowel in the hole and re drill for the screw.

Last edited by user4178; 10-27-2008 at 12:19 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
I've used golf tees once or twice in this situation with exceptionally good luck. Toothpicks are too small sometimes to suit the bill...of course, I suppose a golf tee could be too big, as well, so a little trial and error might be in order.

The idea is to fill the old worn-out hole with new wood (golf tee or toothpicks) and glue. The carefully drill a new pilot hole in the same location, and carefully reattach the hardware.

good luck
smitty
post #8 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 PM

View woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
All of the above are good, but the problem with the dowel is that you are screwing into/with the wood grain rather then across it. That too will strip out in a shorter period of time.

The toothpicks are good, but rather then the glue, I would use an expoy. I agree that all you want to do is fill the void, but you want it to outlast the table (so to speak).

(that's my two cents worth and go ahead and give me my change).
post #9 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 01:35 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Epoxy with filler

There are various fillers for epoxy, everything from micro-balloons to fiberglass. Some are made for fairing and sand easily. Others are made for strength. The later is the one you want.
If you go the route of using epoxy with fillers, wet out the surface with just the epoxy only, then finish filling in the voids with the epoxy and filler while the wet out area is still tacky.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #10 of 10 Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworks View Post
The toothpicks are good, but rather then the glue, I would use an expoy. I agree that all you want to do is fill the void, but you want it to outlast the table (so to speak).
I've never had a problem useing wood glue, I supose you could use Gorilla glue if your really concerned. Mixing epoxy sounds like overkill for such a small prodject.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode