Suggestions for wood - armoire - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 09-28-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

View kcrew98's Photo Album My Photos
Suggestions for wood - armoire

Hi - I'm attempting to build a lightweight, but sturdy armoire roughly 7ft h x 3ft w x 20in d. I considered using pine for my 4 legs (2in x 2in x 8ft cut to 7ft) where I would attach pine board with dowels. Problem is, I'm not sold on pine. It's lightweight and cheap, but tends to warp especially (the kind you buy from Home Depot marketed as pine). Are there any suggestions for the legs?

A link of a rough sketch to help visualize.

https://imgur.com/a/fdaoU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-28-2017, 09:31 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
You might look at poplar - its fairly straight grained & sturdy. It paints well but not spectacular when stained and top coated with a clear finish.

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
The Following User Says Thank You to bargoon For This Useful Post:
kcrew98 (09-29-2017)
post #3 of 9 Old 09-28-2017, 12:00 PM

View amckenzie4's Photo Album My Photos
I like working with poplar. Home Depot pine can be used (I built a couple of large toy chests out of the stuff), but you need to buy it early and give it time to dry. Once it's dry you can start making pieces out of it, because it won't move much after that.
The Following User Says Thank You to amckenzie4 For This Useful Post:
kcrew98 (09-29-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-28-2017, 04:38 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Do you plan to stain the new piece or paint it?
IMO, Pine is best when used in a more rustic setting.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolman50 For This Useful Post:
kcrew98 (09-29-2017)
post #5 of 9 Old 09-28-2017, 08:23 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I don't like Pine

Unless you are going to make a a farm style cup board/armoire with a weathered look I wouldn't use Pine. It's difficult to work around the knots which are much harder than the surrounding wood and will not stain evenly.

I have used Poplar which is straight grained, and a great wood to work with. It will paint up beautifully. A faux finish would work also. Staining would be less than spectacular, but better if you sprayed on a dye rather than using a brush or a wipe on stain.

The HD near me used to sell Red Oak which I have stained and used for many a book shelf with good results. I don't know their current inventory of hardwoods. Check around for other sources for hardwood. Ask a local cabinet shop where they get their hardwoods and see if they would, be willing to sell you some or order some for you....?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
kcrew98 (09-29-2017)
post #6 of 9 Old 09-29-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

View kcrew98's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you and appreciate all of the suggestions. I plan to stain, but I like the suggestion of spraying on a dye on poplar.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-29-2017, 10:36 AM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
I have 2 armoires ... both are made of pine.

... turning perfectly good wood into firewood every day ... :smile3:
post #8 of 9 Old 09-29-2017, 12:01 PM

View CaptainMike's Photo Album My Photos
Alder is a nice wood to work with and stain. As stated above you might have to hit up a cabinet shop to find out where they buy their wood.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-29-2017, 04:56 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Softer woods vs harder woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
I have 2 armoires ... both are made of pine.
There is a lot of Pine furniture made for sure. Choosing the type wood for a piece becomes a personal preference.
Here is my 2 cents:
If you want to make a high quality piece, your labor cost (even if free and for yourself) will be the most expensive component of your project. The value of the labor will be more than the wood, the hardware and the finish which all add real cost to a project.
If I plan to take the time to build a good piece, I want to use high quality materials and I prefer a hardwood.
Pine can make some beautiful furniture but the wood is soft and will distress quickly.
We can add distress to any wood we choose to build with and many prefer this distressed look but you can't write a note on a Pine table with a ballpoint pen without leaving it on the table permanently.
A harder wood will not be so easily affected.
Clear Pine is not cheap. Its cost is in line with many hardwoods. And not all hardwoods are actually hard. Some are every bit as soft as Pine. I prefer to use a wood that is hard enough not to be easily dented and distressed with normal use.
Sorry for the long rant.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Tags
armoire, wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode