subfloor - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-26-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

View arcplus's Photo Album My Photos
subfloor

I am putting in Laminate Flooring, but first I am striiping all the wood to the original wood. What type of subfloor should I put down. How thick and do i use glue, cement or screws. Can i level it with leveling cement before putting the floor down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-26-2016, 02:23 PM

View a_finelli's Photo Album My Photos
Well, if your working in a newer house that has 3/4" tounge and groove plywood subfloor remove everything to that, screw down areas that may be loose or have bounce, lay a good foam underlayment and assemble the laminate flooring.

If you are in an older home that has an original subfloor made up of tounge and groove boards or just individual boards nailed at a 45 degree angle to the walls stop removing to there unless that layer is rotted then replace bad boards and lay good 7/16 plywood sheets (3/4" t&g is better off you can put that down but you might create lips between rooms or your door casings may need to be adjusted) down perpendicular to the floor joist. Glue with liquid nails and screw the floor down ensuring you sink screws into the floor joists. Add extra screws along seams to reduce the seams from warping. Once that is finished, lay a good underlayment and assemble your floor. Hope this helps, good luck

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 12-26-2016, 02:45 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Recently helped a friend replace his sub floor on a pier and beam foundation. We tore off the old top layer which was a combination of old plywood and OSB. He used 3/4" CD plywood to replace over the original 1X6's which were diagonal.
We did not replace the wood under the kitchen cabinets and appliances. We were able to use a Skilsaw set at 3/4" depth and cut about 1' away from lower cabinets.
All new plywood was installed using 1 1/2" coated screws.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-26-2016, 03:52 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you have taken it down to the floor joists I would level the framing if possible and use a OSB sub-floor. I would use construction adhesive to lay that but only use nails for the flooring. Should the flooring get damaged it would be a lot easier to fix if the flooring was only nailed.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-26-2016, 03:54 PM

View a_finelli's Photo Album My Photos
If your going to nail it use ring shank nails

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode