Struggle with Transitional Pieces - Advice? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By FishFactory

post #1 of 7 Old 03-21-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

View paigeyleigh123's Photo Album My Photos
Struggle with Transitional Pieces - Advice?

Good afternoon,

I am hoping someone can help me. Recently, we hired a professional to replace our trim. There were a few areas in which he said a transitional piece would need to be placed between steps/stairs. When we seen the finished product, we were honestly flabbergasted as it was not what we expected. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can make this look more normal? They are willing to work with us on what we want, but it is frustrating that they’re not even sure how to make it better. So I am hoping you talented folks might have some thoughts or suggestions. I appreciate any insight!

Best,
Paige
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seriously.png
Views:	51
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	350274  

Name:	3690298805915040554.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	350282  

Name:	338011257894563998.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	350290  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-21-2018, 03:03 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
I certainly hope you did not pay that "craftsman" for that work!

somebody will come along with a sketch - it's not difficult.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-21-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

View paigeyleigh123's Photo Album My Photos
No, we have not paid them anything yet and they're willing to fix it, but its somewhat concerning that we're having to do the research on how they should fix it! Thank you. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-21-2018, 05:34 PM

View FishFactory's Photo Album My Photos
Wow. That's horrible. In no way would I pay for that. That's not carpentry, that's someone who doesn't have a clue. Hack work. There are many different ways to tackle that. Most involve a custom made piece or a plinth block of some sort to make it a gradual transition that looks like it should be there and doesn't grab your attention.

Another possible solution is to cope the base mold to the stair apron and ease off the edge of the stair apron and the shoe molding to meet the new base and shoe. It may take some playing with to see what looks best but anything would be better than that.
TimPa and Woodknack like this.

Last edited by FishFactory; 03-21-2018 at 05:37 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-21-2018, 05:38 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
Is this the first time they've done this kind of work? Even if it's the first time, it's no excuse for them to leave it like that.

In the first picture, I'd cut a piece of the baseboard to so it's shaped to extend (to the left) to the ̶b̶a̶s̶e̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ apron that runs along the stairs.

In the second picture, I think a piece of baseboard molding can replace the temporary block and just leave it like that.

I have no idea what to do with the third picture. It looks to me like the ̶b̶a̶s̶e̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ apron used for the stairs should come higher up the wall. They're not tall enough.

Last edited by gj13us; 03-21-2018 at 05:43 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-21-2018, 07:37 PM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by paigeyleigh123 View Post
No, we have not paid them anything yet and they're willing to fix it, but its somewhat concerning that we're having to do the research on how they should fix it! Thank you. :)
Concerning!!! Hmmm, well, you could call it that. I'm more than troubled that this isn't just a friend trying to be helpful, because this type of transition is standard practice. It leaves me to suggest that if they can't do this...What have they not done that you don't know about???

My 2˘ on that point...

As to solution...If your not doing the work yourself...???... I have to put on my "Professional Hat" and ask if you can do the work yourself...

If not, its time to hire an actual professional (in my view) as any solution here means someone is getting paid money for an idea not their own, and there is more going on here than I could help with at this time. I could (as many here can) give more guidance, but the person doing the work really needs to join the conversation...

My 2˘ on that part of it...

Sorry I wasn't of more help...

j
post #7 of 7 Old 03-21-2018, 08:06 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
In all 3 cases .....

The plinth blocks need to stand proud of the rest of the moldings so they "die" into it. That's the main issue, it's not thick enough. The second issue is it ain't very pretty. Any detail, like vertical grooves a beveled or chamfered top would help. The flat top with a undersize cap doesn't work. I don't understand why there are two sizes of 1/4 round in the top photo.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode