• 1 Post By ibrewster
  • 1 Post By TimPa
  • 6 Post By ibrewster
  • 2 Post By ibrewster

post #1 of 20 Old 06-27-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

View ibrewster's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to ibrewster
Stickers for wood?

I'm making a keepsake box for a friend, and since she is into horses, I wanted to *somehow* put a horse on it. However, not being artistically gifted, options like carving or painting a horse on it, while ideal, are not an option. As such, I was thinking more along the lines of a print-and-stick type approach, where I could work up something on the computer, print it out, and attach it to the box. Would this work well with wood? Should I be looking for some specific medium to print on? At what stage in the finishing process should it be applied? Or is there some other approach that would work better?

I was looking at some basic clear peel-and-stick printer stock, and thinking of applying it after the initial coat or two of finish (so the wood under it is fully colored), but before the final coat or two (so it is well protected and can't just peel off). However, I'm concerned that the finish wouldn't adhere properly over it with that approach, while putting it on at the end wouldn't be as long-lasting as I would like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-27-2017, 09:58 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
there are many videos on this process

You can take a photo out of a magazine OR use your own photo. The process is also called decoupage.
Here's one of the many videos:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 20 Old 06-28-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

That looks perfect, thanks! I'll have to play around with that. If I'm wanting to stain the wood, do I do that before or after applying the image? I would think before, so the image itself doesn't get stained, but would it still adhere properly? As far as top coating, I get the impression I'd want to use water based, not oil based, finish with that. Is that correct or does it not matter? I'll definitely be doing some testing before the final project, and probably watch a few more videos :) Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-28-2017, 10:44 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Always good to make a friend a special gift - especially in wood. Consider getting/making a photograph of her favorite horse or horse scene. Depending on the size of the keepsake box, the photo (colored, tinted, or black & white) could be "cropped" to a size that would fit tightly into the lid, behind a piece of clear hard plastic, so changes of the picture could be made if desired. No peal & stick, or clear coating of the photo required. Be safe.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-28-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
Always good to make a friend a special gift - especially in wood. Consider getting/making a photograph of her favorite horse or horse scene. Depending on the size of the keepsake box, the photo (colored, tinted, or black & white) could be "cropped" to a size that would fit tightly into the lid, behind a piece of clear hard plastic, so changes of the picture could be made if desired. No peal & stick, or clear coating of the photo required. Be safe.
So, basically, build a picture frame into the lid. I'll have to consider that - it could be a fun addition :)
The Following User Says Thank You to ibrewster For This Useful Post:
woodchux (06-28-2017)
post #6 of 20 Old 07-02-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Well, here's my first couple of test pieces. I think I needed to do a bit more rubbing, but I was afraid to do much more since parts of the image were already coming off. I do think things would be helped by using brighter images though, and probably color prints - that way I could have a lighter image, while still having full coverage. Still, not bad (especially for a first try), I think :)
Attached Images

Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-02-2017, 09:07 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
There is lots and lots of "horsey" material available. You do not have to make your own. Do some online searching and you will be amazed at what you find.

George
post #8 of 20 Old 07-03-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
There is lots and lots of "horsey" material available. You do not have to make your own. Do some online searching and you will be amazed at what you find.

George
Right, that's where I found the two images I used. apparently there is a bit of an art to choosing images that work well with this procedure, however :)
post #9 of 20 Old 07-03-2017, 11:41 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
You might want to google "Decoupage". I think this is similar to what you are trying to achieve.

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #10 of 20 Old 07-03-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoon View Post
You might want to google "Decoupage". I think this is similar to what you are trying to achieve.
Yeah, I did back when it was first suggested, along with the video for this procedure. From what I can tell, "decoupage" is basically just a fancy term for "cut it out and glue it on". Which would, of course, work - but I like the idea of the image transfer better, if I can get it right - from what I've seen the end result looks more like it was painted on. Just takes more work/more careful image selection :smile3:
post #11 of 20 Old 07-03-2017, 01:10 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
wow! I thought you nailed it!
ibrewster likes this.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-03-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
wow! I thought you nailed it!
Thanks! I suppose it depends on the look you are going for. I find both of those to look a bit "ghostly", I guess I'd call it. Which is a fine look, if that's what you want, but I'm looking for something a bit more "alive" or vibrant. I think using lighter, color images will help with that. Other than that, my perfectionist side doesn't like the paper remnants that I didn't get off. But yeah, it certainly works - and for test pieces, I'm quite happy with the result, and feel confidant I can achieve the look I'm going for.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-03-2017, 04:11 PM

View neverender1120's Photo Album My Photos
Decoupage was a great suggestion. Looks great, brewster :)
post #14 of 20 Old 07-04-2017, 10:48 AM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
When choosing images, keep in mind that colors tend to fade much more rapidly than shades of gray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to WesTex For This Useful Post:
ibrewster (07-04-2017)
post #15 of 20 Old 12-26-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone was interested in the final result, here it is:
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrewster For This Useful Post:
GROOVY (12-27-2017)
post #16 of 20 Old 12-26-2017, 01:15 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
WOW! Nice job. You should be very proud.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-26-2017, 02:45 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice
post #18 of 20 Old 12-26-2017, 03:20 PM

View IowaDave's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice! Well done...but, just so you know...the one on the right ISN'T a horse. :)
post #19 of 20 Old 12-26-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaDave View Post
Very nice! Well done...but, just so you know...the one on the right ISN'T a horse. :)
No? But I was told it was 808 horse!
IowaDave and Tool Agnostic like this.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-26-2017, 04:07 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Do a little research on waterslide decals. I read lots of posts on the pen forums using it to put logos on wood pens so it should work for larger items as well with the advantage of being a much thinner material going on to the wood.
One thing to consider in keeping the colors bright is having a light or white background. If there is a way of printing a white basecoat over the colors on the decal it will keep the color more true and with more contrast (realizing the colors are printed bottomside up).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode