Stereo vol. control made in wood shop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-31-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Stereo vol. control made in wood shop

After buying a new remote for my stereo, and it didn't work, I went out to the shop, and made a volume control, as shown in picture. (not painted black yet)
It uses a 12 volt, dc gear motor, from a holiday light, display.
Waiting for the dpdt, rocker switch to come, so I can wire it up. Didn't say it was wireless! If anyone knows of a compact wireless transmitter and receiver, that would reverse the polarity of the motor wires, let me know.

It was a quick project. Cut disc outside line on bs. Put 1/4" bolt and nut on it, and used a rasp to true it up, and a rattail file to put a groove in it for the rubber band.
Cut the semi circle in the mount to rough shape on bs. Real rough, with a 1/2" blade! Approx 1" radius! A few seconds on the oss, made it perfect.
Screwed the motor to mount, and mount to a base of 1/4" ply.
Done

The oss, saves so much time on something like this. I could have changed bs blades, and cut on the line, but then have to change blade back.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-31-2013, 10:57 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
I have all my equipment out of site except the TV. I installed a little device called a Hot Link Pro to carry the IR signal to each component. It has one sensor on top of the TV that catches the IR and sends it back to the equipment. You just stick one of the six IR repeaters on each of the components where you would normally point the remote. No more junk in the living room. No more wires hanging out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161178204916?lpid=82

Al

Nails only hold themselves.

post #3 of 8 Old 12-31-2013, 11:45 PM

View Old Skhool's Photo Album My Photos
Pretty cool device. I assume it works well? May have to pick one up when I get my entertainment center done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Being as a new remote didn't work, I figured there was a problem, inside the preamp, and a hot link wouldn't work. Really, I mainly needed vol control. I actually like having the vintage components visible.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skhool
Pretty cool device. I assume it works well? May have to pick one up when I get my entertainment center done.
If your speaking of the Hot Link Pro. It works every time. Had it now forever 5 years. My comps are in the closet next to the living room. If you have an entertainment center. It will allow you to close the doors.

Al

post #6 of 8 Old 01-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Being as a new remote didn't work, I figured there was a problem, inside the preamp, and a hot link wouldn't work. Really, I mainly needed vol control. I actually like having the vintage components visible.
My guess is it's not working on the right IR code. Each company has many and all you need to do is look up your component and get the code. You can do it on line. One place to look is Remote Center. It does take some searching but it's out there.

Also, most remotes now can find it for you. Should be instructions on what buttons to push and then just point it at the comp till the power goes off. Bingo.

Neat little control though.

Al

post #7 of 8 Old 01-03-2014, 11:02 PM

View Doomi's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
I have all my equipment out of site except the TV. I installed a little device called a Hot Link Pro to carry the IR signal to each component. It has one sensor on top of the TV that catches the IR and sends it back to the equipment. You just stick one of the six IR repeaters on each of the components where you would normally point the remote. No more junk in the living room. No more wires hanging out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161178204916?lpid=82

Al

I use a different solution, rf remotes, but same concept. I could never go back to a line of sight remote setup, or remotes without macros for that matter.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Wood Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomi
I use a different solution, rf remotes, but same concept. I could never go back to a line of sight remote setup, or remotes without macros for that matter.
Yep I push one button as I make my way to the coffee pot. Don't even pick it up. Come in and set down to Fox News and start the day. I've had my fancy IR system so long I don't need the RF until I update in my new home.

Al

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode