Steel Spring Pin Instead of a Wood One - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 11-03-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

View Arbee's Photo Album My Photos
Steel Spring Pin Instead of a Wood One

The standard (ribbed) wood pins I'm using on a project, which as I just measured but suspect you already know, I found have a diameter of 3/8" and a length of 1 1/2"

Does anyone know of spring loaded steel pins that can replace the wood ones I'm using, which can facilitate a rotating piece's insertion, or even removal, into two vertical members of fixed distance with equi-heighted 3/8" holes?

~~~~~~~~~~~

In case I was not clear enough:

To absract the problem, envision two pieces of wood set apart a few inches that rise vertically and oppose one another. At the same height from the ground on each aforementioned vertical piece can be found a 3/8" diameter hole about 3/4" deep: no surprise 1/2 of a wood pin's size.

The distance that each vertical piece sits from the other can't be easily changed.

The length of wood that sits horizontally between these two vertical ones is designed to rotate parallel with the ground and accordingly currently has two wood pins and pin holes, one at each end, that get inserted into the aforementioned holes in the vertical risers.

Getting the wood pins to fit the distance should not be that bad. I can make the horizontal member about 1 1/2" size less than the distance, and just coat the pins with glue where they enter the horizontal member at each end, situate the horizontal piece, and before the glue dries in the horizontal member's wood pin holes, with a needle nose plyer, extend the length of each wood pin and let the glue dry in the horizontal member's holes.

The thing is getting the horizontal member piece out if I ever want/need to, short of cutting the pins, drilling them out, and replacing them with two new pins following the same method above.

Accordingly, has anyone seems steel hardware that looks like the business end of a bullet on each side, that's spring loaded, or alternatively can recommend a good place to find appropriately strengthened 3/8 hole fitting springs that I can use with the wood pins and possibly deeper drilled than currently 3/4" (on each side of the wood pin) currently pin holes?

Essentially I seek a steel pin that looks like the wood one I described that's spring loaded.

If not, I can always put a threaded pin halfway between a split horizontal member and expand [contract] the distance from one pin end to the other that way by rotating the horizontal member by twisting the right side toward [away from] me, and the left side away from [toward] me like the non-reverse threaded (i.e. normally threaded) side of a turnbuckle.

Cheers, and thank you

Last edited by Arbee; 11-03-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-03-2019, 05:55 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
These are not exactly what you need .....

https://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Bulle.../dp/B001ENVEZM

But they are 3/8" diameter. They also have a housing.
To get a totally enclosed spring loaded pin, you may have to have it fabricated with an internal spring.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Arbee (11-03-2019)
post #3 of 3 Old 11-03-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

View Arbee's Photo Album My Photos
Please know your directives found me down a path to these: which seem like they'll work, or at least worth the $3.50 try.

Thank you bi-fold closet door top track hardware vendors!

https://www.primeline.net/n-6545-bi-fold-door-top-pivot

Tags
pin, spring, steel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode