Starting to set up shop...finally! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-17-2011, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

View mn pete's Photo Album My Photos
Starting to set up shop...finally!

After working on a whole list of house projects in the new digs (which still seems to be growing ) I've finally started unpacking a few things in the basement and planning the layout for the new shop.

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/2011/10/movin-on-down.html

As always, tips and advice are welcome! This'll be my first time setting up in a basement.

Pete
Follow my woodworking adventures...
http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-17-2011, 03:32 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like it'll be a great space to work in. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Don't forget to post a picture or two in "Show us your shop!

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/show-us-your-shop-73/
post #3 of 5 Old 10-18-2011, 04:15 PM

View Jim West Pa's Photo Album My Photos
Wow Pete, i feel for ya bud.
I moved into my place 4 years ago.
From a two car grage to a 3 car+ grage.
I have been workin on this house( fire damage) out of boxes for the past 4 years and only this summer did i begin to be able to start puttin my shop back together.
It's a long sloooooooow process for me coz i got so much to do on the house.
I just finaly this past week decided that i am gonna put the house aside fer a week er so and build something just for the enjoyment.
Jist to make some dust
To make it even better, my wife decided that she wanted to make some dust also. ( a first for her)
So, she and i are puttin together a simple round pine table that we will post up probably sometime this weekend.
I could have had it done yesterday but i aint workin on it without her.I did sort o' work a bit on it yesterday when she e-mailed me from work and asked me to make her a band saw jig so she can cout the round top for the table.
I think this gal is startin to git the passion for wood .
One piece of advice i can give ya as far as yer new shop goes.
When yer puttin things 'away' for the first time. Follow yer first choice of where to put 'em. It is a fact that if ya change the idea and put it somewhere else, you'll still go to the place in the original idea ot look for it.
Also, invest in the best dust collection you can. My other shop was in an attached grage and no matter how hard i tried to avoid it, there was allways dust in my house.
Enjoy yer new crib and the Rockies. They are an awsome place to be

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for me; JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN SOLDIER. One died for my soul,the other for my freedom."

At birth, God bestowed each & everyone of us with the most important responsibility there is..................FREE WILL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-18-2011, 04:48 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim West Pa View Post
One piece of advice i can give ya as far as yer new shop goes.
When yer puttin things 'away' for the first time. Follow yer first choice of where to put 'em. It is a fact that if ya change the idea and put it somewhere else, you'll still go to the place in the original idea ot look for it.
I second that advice. Wherever you instinctively reach for something is where you ought to put it because it'll be the easiest and most intuitive place for you to find it.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-18-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

View mn pete's Photo Album My Photos
Good ones guys! Thanks!

Sorry about the fire Jim, but very cool that your wife is interested in trying woodworking!

I'm hoping to have enought room, once we layout where the laundry room walls will go, to wall off a small section of space for a dust collector and maybe even an air compressor. It would be nice to take the compressor outside from time to time though, so I may not worry about that one as much.

Pete
Follow my woodworking adventures...
http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode