5Likes
  • 1 Post By andy r m
  • 3 Post By epicfail48
  • 1 Post By WeebyWoodWorker

post #1 of 13 Old 10-22-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

View andy r m's Photo Album My Photos
Staining or dyeing walnut

Hope I'm in the right section of the right forum :/

I've made a tv console for a friend. She wanted walnut and I didn't even think to ask how she wanted it finished...because why would you do anything but seal walnut :)

She is asking for DARK. I've done some samples with diluted 'dark brown' water based dye, 3 coats. And did a sample of walnut water based stain. Neither are dark enough for her, I'm starting to lose the beauty of the walnut. Do I convince here to stay more natural or do I keep laying on the dye. I do have some ebony stain I could mix.

Please don't mind my pre-finish piece. I don't get to work this often and the walnut has a bunch of defects, I didn't cut out all the sap wood. Still need some trim around the underside of the top.

Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Tool Agnostic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-22-2018, 05:09 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
There's a TransTint colored called Dark Walnut. In my experience, these dyes don't obscure the grain, but of course the more you make the color the same, the less the grain will stand out.

http://homesteadfinishingproducts.co...t-liquid-dyes/
post #3 of 13 Old 10-22-2018, 05:09 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
This is almost the same piece of furniture finished only with clear lacquer. A major difference is that I inserted a piece of granite on the top. However, it will show how the item will look with only a clear finish.

George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ANGELA'S BEDSIDE CHEST 16.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	367501  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ANGELA'S BEDSIDE CHEST 18.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	367503  

Last edited by GeorgeC; 10-22-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-22-2018, 05:54 PM

View Saw Dust Rules's Photo Album My Photos
If you want to highlight the natural grain of the wood without artificial colors try an oiled urethane like General Finishes. Goes on easy and really brings out the natural wood look.

Saw Dust Rules

“In God we trust. All others bring data.” - W.E. Deming

Dave in Rochester, NY
post #5 of 13 Old 10-22-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

View andy r m's Photo Album My Photos
I've worked with walnut in the past, most recent is my kitchen table that got only the General's finish. Looks great. I think I'm hearing that I need to dye until I reach friends color level, and see what detail of grain actually stands out

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 Old 10-22-2018, 06:54 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Better option, find a different friend...

Im of the opinion that walnut should not be stained/dyed/whatever. All is needs is some form of oil to really make the pattern pop, and a topcoat. Oil-based topcoat fills both those needs

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 13 Old 10-22-2018, 08:29 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
When I think if wood tones I think of stains. This includes all stains dark to light. I think of dyes when I want a color different from a wood tone such as a green, blue, yellow, bright red etc. And yes I know dyes come in wood tones but I don’t use dyes. I prefer oil based stains. And I always use stain on a hardwood piece even if it’s Walnut. The stain helps give some uniformity to the color blend, hides the dark/light contrast and makes the grain really pop. Woodworkers skip the stain step to take a shortcut. It’s not the best practice. The piece will not be equal in a natural state to a professionally stained piece (in my opinion). All high end commercial furniture goes through a stain process.
When I see a well made piece of furniture finished naturally with the variances of light to dark I immediately know this is “home built”. A woodworker can start taking real pride in a project when the project can’t be identified as “I bet you made this yourself”.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #8 of 13 Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
I have some walnut that's been steamed and doesn't look all that good so I have been staining it with Minn Wax stain "Special Walnut". I wipe it on and I wipe it off and let it dry overnight. I think it makes it look pretty good. You should try it on a scrap piece and see what you think.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-23-2018, 12:28 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I think that I can see the problem. New wood vs. heart wood.

I think that you're going to have to pop the doors apart and remake them. Make them with raised panels and glue up the walnut with all heart wood (dark stuff). Then I think 2 or 3 coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish will give the walnut color desired. Or you could use a dark Watco Danish oil.

Other than the color of the wood, you did some really fine work.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #10 of 13 Old 10-23-2018, 11:39 AM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
i'd be sacrilegious to stain walnut
but i think it's sacrilegious to stain any wood :)
imo, might as well paint it black

even heartwood vs new wood is part of the beauty of working with wood
to see what it will look like with clear finish, wipe it down with mineral spirits

i have 100 yr old hickory floors in my house, it varies from bleach white to black
it's beautiful :)
post #11 of 13 Old 10-24-2018, 05:00 PM

View RogerC's Photo Album My Photos
Well, if she wants REALLY dark, you could mix up a batch of chemical stain by dissolving steel wool in vinegar. Let it sit for a few days and then apply. It'll turn the walnut black.

The pickguard on this guitar is made from walnut.

Before the chemical stain:

After:

post #12 of 13 Old 10-24-2018, 09:56 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
you could mix up a batch of chemical stain by dissolving steel wool in vinegar. Let it sit for a few days and then apply. It'll turn the walnut black.
would not have thought of that
still sacrilegious, but pretty cool
post #13 of 13 Old 10-25-2018, 01:25 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
"Staining walnut is basically shaking hands with the devil and I won't do it. " - Peter Brown
terryh likes this.

"Dreams are stronger than poison and seize more firmly than disease, once captured one can not escape. It's a real curse, but for adventurers who are dedicated to it, body and soul, people without dreams are more frightening than death" (Made in Abyss). The Twenty Seventeen anime of the year, it definitely deserves that award. It's a show you don't expect to throw you off as much as it does. It may be Moe but it's certainly not lighthearted, just the opposite.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode