Stain contrast on a pair of drum sticks - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

View Gabi Barani's Photo Album My Photos
Stain contrast on a pair of drum sticks

Hello all,

I have this hickory drum sticks and one of them it is a bit darker than the other. I would like them to have an even color without applying heavy lacquer or colored paint. It is also important to have a natural wood feel for the hand grip. Is there a way to use some hand buffing products which eventually will bring the 2 sticks at an even contrast? I don't mind if the wood will go a few grades darker than it is now. This is not a rock'n'roll pair of sticks, which usually gets chopped by a drummer on a drum set. It is more like for symphonic music playing. However, the value of this sticks its about $30, so I am not looking into buying expensive tools and products to work on this project. I am looking more into some fine sand paper, oils and perhaps wood sealing. Thank you.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-06-2015, 04:11 PM

View phoenixbound's Photo Album My Photos
IMO, wood has color variations and for that reason I wouldn't worry about the difference.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-06-2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Well, yes I agree. It's just more of a psychological think. I always have the feeling that I should switch them between my hands, so I wanna get rid of that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
If those are like every drumstick ive ever seen, they're already sealed to a degree that anything you could put on the wood wouldnt actually absorb in and stay. You could always paint them, but unless you dip them in stripper I doubt you'll be able to stain or otherwise color the wood

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #5 of 8 Old 06-06-2015, 09:35 PM

View Quo Fan's Photo Album My Photos
If it truly concerns you that the colors of the sticks don't match perfectly, then just buy a bunch of pairs of sticks and match them on your own.

But if you are like most drummers I know, a pair of sticks won't last for ever. They get beat up and broken, so they need to be replaced periodically.

Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-07-2015, 10:45 AM

View jaydawg74's Photo Album My Photos
As a drummer for around 27 years, I don't think I've ever had a pair of sticks that had the color match perfectly, nor have I ever given it a care! No matter what you do to those sticks, the color is going to change with use from the oils and dirt on your hands. If you want to give them a quick sanding, I'd say go for it with some 220 or higher grit. You'll never change or match the color without some work and in my opinion it's just not worth the effort!

You said they're for symphonic drumming? What do you mean, do you play in an orchestra or concert band?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-07-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I am a professional percussionist. I've played in professional orchestras for 10 years and played drums for more than that. As a hobby, I make timpani mallets, so I like crafting. That's why I "see a project" with this pair of sticks. My "concert" sticks will last a life time, because I only use them on snare drum for classical music. My other sticks will live as long as any other ordinary sticks. So, if there is a way to sand out whatever finish/sealing it's on now, and apply a darker one which will balance the contrast I would like to try it.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-07-2015, 07:11 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you have the means of spraying a finish you could spray a very thin alcohol based dye stain or a toner over the lighter drum stick to give it some more color. Then clear coat over it. As little adjustment as that would be you would have to thin the dye a lot. I like to use this type of dye stain. http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/cata...asp?ictNbr=178

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode