Spraying paint - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 11-15-2012, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
RDK

View RDK's Photo Album My Photos
Spraying paint

I have some hardware that I would like to paint before I put it on my project. I need to match a color that is on my project. I assumed I would go to a paint store, find the color that best matches and have a quart of it mixed. My issue is application. My hardware has a lot of contour and hard to reach spots which makes rolling out of the question. I know nothing about spraying paint or even types of paint. I'd like to get something as durable as I can. Does anyone have an experience in this? Also, I have a small oven in my shop that I could use to back it on but does that only apply to powder coating? Would appreciate any help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would recommend that you take the hardware to a autobody shop and have them spray it. The equipment to do it yourself would cost too much. The paint you need is a 2k urethane sprayed over an epoxy primer. The color can be computer matched by a company that sells automotive paint. It is a catalyzed finish that isn't available in a rattle can. Even if you have a paint sprayer the finish has isocyanide hardeners that to breathe a very small amount can put a major hurt on you. A autobody shop will have a respirator that has fresh clean air pumped to the respirator. I believe one runs about three hundred dollars.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-15-2012, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
RDK

View RDK's Photo Album My Photos
Good points. Luckily my neighbor is an auto body guy :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
If you have spray capabilities (compressor & gun), you could use an ordinary paint... oil base, or lacquer. Some automotive type paints may last longer, but any spray on finish will show some wear with extensive use. If you are so equipped, when that happens, just shoot the piece or pieces again.

You might find a color close in a spray can, like Rustoleum, which is not bad for what you want to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode