spraying Lacquer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

View Gillbie69's Photo Album My Photos
spraying Lacquer

To all Im looking for a good quality spray Lacquer. Not the piss can ones. Looking for a cheaper alternative way. Piss cans is getting rather expensive. Would rather start buying it a gallon at a time. Any suggestions? ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Your best bet would likely be Sherwin-Williams, or ML Campbell. As an alternative, consider a waterbase polyurethane.

post #3 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
There are different kinds of lacquer. The most common is a nitrocellulose lacquer. It is the easiest and least expensive to use. The down side is that it tends to yellow over time and isn't water resistant. It would work fine for furniture and projects but you would have to be very careful to use coasters on table tops as sweaty glasses will lift the finish from repeated exposure. A lacquer sanding sealer is used with this type of lacquer that builds fast and sands easy. Another lacquer is a pre-catalyzed lacquer. It is more durable and is more water resistant and doesn't yellow over time. You would use a vinyl sealer with this lacquer. Finally there are fully catalyzed lacquer. It is the most durable and water resistant. You would use a vinyl sealer that it also. I use either Gemini, Sherwin Williams or Mohawk Finishing Products lacquers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the info. I will look into one of those. Sounds like I have to use a sealer with all of them.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 AM

Well you don't have to use a sealer but it makes the job a lot easier. A sealer is made with more solids so it builds faster and is easier to sand between coats. I mainly pointed out the different sealers because you shouldn't use a nitrocellulose sealer with pre-catalyzed or catalyzed lacquer.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Ok if I use a sealer do I alternate it between coats of laquer or just spray it on once prior to spraying Laquer?
post #7 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillbie69 View Post
Thank you all for the info. I will look into one of those. Sounds like I have to use a sealer with all of them.
You could just thin the lacquer with lacquer thinner and use it for a sealer. It would just be a bit more difficult to sand.

post #8 of 11 Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillbie69 View Post
Ok if I use a sealer do I alternate it between coats of laquer or just spray it on once prior to spraying Laquer?
Depending on the wood and how much you thin sealer you would start with a coat or two of sealer lightly sanding between coat to where you had a nice smooth surface and then topcoat with lacquer. Once you put lacquer on you shouldn't go back to sealer. Think of sealer as clear primer.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Custom Cabinetmaker

View samhamory's Photo Album My Photos
Try Zinsser seal coat cut 50/50 with DNA, then use Deft lacquer for the top coat. They both spray great and you can get both at the big blue box store.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM

View bandman's Photo Album My Photos
Spraying Lacquer

I have been spraying Precatalyzed lacquer for years now and love it. There are many reasons I use the Precatalyzed lacquer:
  1. It is very durable.
  2. It has a very long shelf life compared to adding the catalyst as you go.
  3. It is self-sealing, so you don't have to use lacquer sealer.
  4. It comes in all sheens from gloss to matte/flat.
  5. It dries very quickly, leaving no time for dust to settle.
The first time you use precataylzed lacquer you will notice how hard it is to sand down between coats, that is because it is so durable. It flows out good and is easy to repair. When waterborne lacquer first came out I jumped right on the bandwagon because I too thought the EPA was going to make it impossible to get regular lacquer, that was in 1986. I never could get that waterborne stuff to work right
and looks like I'm not alone, regular Nitrocelolulose lacquer is still very readily available and most finishers I know are still using it. The one drawback to spraying lacquer is that it has to be venilated through an exhaust fan system because it is highly flamable. Please wear a good mask while spraying also.

Bandman
post #11 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Badman,
What brand do you suggest? Im going broke buying spray cans. Right now im using Daft gloss. It adds up at 6 and change a can.
Thank you all for this great info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode