Split Table Leg - Repair Advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 07-03-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

View Hath's Photo Album My Photos
Split Table Leg - Repair Advice

Hi All!

Seeking some advice on repairing a dining / kitchen table whose hanger bolt has split the leg it's driving into. Photos below!

I've searched exhaustively online to find a comparable article and am now convinced I must not being using the correct terminology. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Given that the table has built in leaves, it's quite heavy and with no shortage of rug rats running around the Grandparent's house, I'd love to repair it for them. Based on the photos below, is this a standard job for wood glue / clamps alone or would it be advisable to take additional steps? Not sure if additional support / dal-rods etc. might be necessary. Thank you!!

Best,
Hath

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByY...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Hath; 07-03-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-03-2017, 11:37 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's just glue and clamp using wood glue since it has never been repaired before. I would recommend getting this type clamps if you don't have them already https://www.zoro.com/bessey-wood-han...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds To protect the table leg I would get some shower pan rubber and cover the jaws of the clamp with. This can be done with spray adhesive and can be removed later and cleaned up when you are done. One thing you may have to do when clamping something like that with an irregular shape is under pressure the parts may try to slide on you. You should prepare yourself to put a single finishing nail in the part to prevent it from moving. Immediately after getting it clamped clean off the glue that oozes out with a damp cloth. It may be necessary to remove the clamp, wipe it off and put the clamp back on. The only other thing is don't put an excessive amount of pressure clamping it. Even padded with rubber you can damage the wood with the clamp and sometimes using too much glue squeezes out too much glue making the joint weaker.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-03-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

View Hath's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Steve,

That's incredibly helpful, thank you so much. I'll proceed as described and report back! :)

Thanks,
Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-03-2017, 01:14 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
what steve said, plus..

take the lag screw out before attempting

do a dry fit to ensure it is going together snugly like, remove any loose burrs

test fit the clamps to make sure they are going to do the job.

glue and go!

I don't think the lag screw did all that by itself.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-03-2017, 01:16 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
some additional advice ...

Obviously, you need to unscrew the bannister bolt to free up the broken piece. Then try reseating the piece dry before putting any glue on it to see if there are any wood splinters in the way. It should fit precisely with no gaps. You don't need any fancy clamps, because you don't need excessive pressure. You could make a turniquit type clamp with some strapping or rope, twisting it with a stick to tighten it until the glue ooozes out.

Kinda lioke this:

Your leg assembly may need some additional glue blocks on either side to help reinforce it, maybe all the legs could use some?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 8 Old 07-03-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Obviously, you need to unscrew the bannister bolt to free up the broken piece. Then try reseating the piece dry before putting any glue on it to see if there are any wood splinters in the way. It should fit precisely with no gaps. You don't need any fancy clamps, because you don't need excessive pressure. You could make a turniquit type clamp with some strapping or rope, twisting it with a stick to tighten it until the glue ooozes out.

Kinda lioke this:

Your leg assembly may need some additional glue blocks on either side to help reinforce it, maybe all the legs could use some?

In his case the legs are made to be removable so the repair could be made separate from the table.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-03-2017, 03:46 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That's good, but ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
In his case the legs are made to be removable so the repair could be made separate from the table.
He needs to remove, "free up" the broken piece from the bannister bolt. like I said... obviously to dry fit it.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 8 Old 07-03-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
He needs to remove, "free up" the broken piece from the bannister bolt. like I said... obviously to dry fit it.
That's very true, I just assumed anyone would remove the bolt until the repair was made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode