Some good clamps? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

View bettafish's Photo Album My Photos
Some good clamps?

So I have a rotating handsaw, electric, which I can use.

Thinking about clamps.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-D3629-Release-Spreader-4-Piece/dp/B005W0ZA12/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363027839&sr=8-1&keywords=Woodstock+D3629
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-MaxSteel-83-069-Multi-Angle-Vise/dp/B000UOJF66/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header
good choices? I've been thinking about how to manage angled cuts.

Along with something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-W54025-Multipurpose-Workbench/dp/B002UBPZIE/ref=sr_1_17?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1363027926&sr=1-17&keywords=work+bench
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
The clamps have thin jaws, they will exert a lot of pressure on the hand when you use them. Not a clamp I would want to use.

The vise looks like it will be versatile, as long as you do not need it to hold against strong forces like hand chiseling, hand planing, etc.

I have a cast steel bench mounted vise which can rotate. A common design. The problem is I use this 99% of the time without the need for rotation, and at times I apply a lot of force such as removing some metal fitting which is stuck. At times like these, the screw for the rotating base is not strong enough and the vise slips. More than a pain.

The small bench can be useful, but I like the Workmate design with a moveable rear jaw or this latest design with a removable middle section. More expensive, but you will get a lot more use out of this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-WM425-550-Pound-Workbench/dp/B0000224R9
post #3 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 07:54 PM

View BKBuilds's Photo Album My Photos
My bar clamps all came from Harbor Freight, 36" clamps for $10 each I think it was. May have been less. Also got 4 hand clamps from them for $5 a piece or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
Many of my clamps are also harbor freight. Their F clamps are fine, but stay away from the ones that tighten down when you squeeze them becasue they do not hold well. For that style, I have Irwins.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 PM

View BKBuilds's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Chris, I wouldn't use the harbor freight pistol style clamps for anything like that needs to hold over a long period, however they work great for me when I just need to hold something down for 5-10mins ect.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

View bettafish's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
Many of my clamps are also harbor freight. Their F clamps are fine, but stay away from the ones that tighten down when you squeeze them becasue they do not hold well. For that style, I have Irwins.
Link at amazon or lowes or walmart?
post #7 of 11 Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 AM

View RogerInColorado's Photo Album My Photos
bettafish, are you anywhere near a hardware store or a Lowes / Home Dept / Menards kind of place? Clamps are something that it's nice to touch and feel before you pull the trigger. Without that, it really is hard to compare brand-function-comfort etc. and sort out what is going to work well for you. If I had some and was happy and wanted to buy some more, then on-line is ok. I'm with Dave on the Workmate. My wife gave me one of the originals back in 1974. It's still my go-to for extra bench help in the shop and on the road. I wouldn't trade it for any of the modern configurations of any brand. But if I didn't have one, I'd buy almost any of the B&D models. It's probably the only B&D product I'd buy today, though. The vice? Read the most helpful critical review on Amazon. The "rotational configurator" problem that Dave mentions on his is more common than most people realize. I'd be surprised if a vise in this price range didn't have the same problem. A vise is sort of one of those things you buy by weight. Strength is what it's all about. You only need two things in a vise. Strong grip and strong grip. You can make wooden or leather faces to protect your material from getting marked. You can change the angle of the material in a vise or change your body angle to get the right angle of attack on your work piece. You might have some really good luck finding a really good vise at a really good price by cruising craigslist and garage sales.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-12-2013, 04:10 AM

View against_the_grain's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish View Post
Link at amazon or lowes or walmart?
The bench will be invaluably useful.

The vice....not really a woodworking vice. If you have a sturdy bench to attach it to, it will suffice...or not.

The clamps I would pass on. I noticed too many red-flags in the reviews.

On that same page as the woodstock clamps (amazon) at the bottom was a link to 6 Irwin quick release clamps for around 50 dollars.
Irwins are good quality all purpose clamps. I love those things. Like having extra hands in the shop.

Last edited by against_the_grain; 03-12-2013 at 04:26 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 AM

View Gilgaron's Photo Album My Photos
Irwins often have good sales on multipacks around the holidays. Bessy clamps have good sales at Woodcraft now and then randomly. Jorgenson are good, too, and not too pricey.

The only HF clamps I've been pleased with are some C clamps.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM

View Lola Ranch's Photo Album My Photos
I have had and used many different brands of clamps and many configurations. Bessy, Irwin, Craftsman, Jorgenson, etc.

Overall in all configurations, Jorgenson is the winner in my opinion. Irwin is the loser.

Bret
post #11 of 11 Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Old Methane Gas Cloud

View rrich's Photo Album My Photos
Wink Clamps or Here we go again

Bessey, you'll buy them once and forever.

Jet (red) or Woodcraft (green) are OK but will fail if over tightened.

Harbor Freight so many....
~Spring a.k.a. Clothes Pins are good for clothes pins.
~Pistol / quick release are almost worthless. You can squeeze the clamp and break it.
~Pipe - Don't even think about the ones for 1/2" pipe. The 3/4" are not much better.
~Aluminum bar and a crank handle are poor and the aluminum bar will break the holding tang.
~F style - 6" good, 12" less good, 18" OK, anything longer will not apply parallel clamping pressure.

Irwin Pistol quick release are good

Pony for 3/4" pipe are very good

Rockler ....
~Sure foot - Aluminum bar are good but not always the full advertised length
~Older blue similar to Bessey are rather good but discontinued due to love / hate
~New style F - Damn good up to 18", beyond 18" I don't know

Woodcraft has some 4" F style for about $3 each. Good for a bending jig.

Use the right tool for the job.

Rich (Tilting right)
Huntington Beach, California
Remember that when we have the "BIG ONE" everything east of the Rockies falls into the ocean.

Last edited by rrich; 03-13-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode