Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central Connecticut
Haven't had much time to work on this until this week. In that time I was able to get the jointer iron sharpened, got a new cap screw for it, marveled at how much the wood moved over the prior three weeks, used the jointer to clean them up a bit more and started in on the dog strip.
I made a few decisions about the plan, which I usually dither on for too long. I have four strips that I'm adding to the front of the bench. I had decided to make the dog strip the their from the outside, on the outer part of the board. But the I had to make them on the inner part based on the way I made the dog jig. Not a big deal.
I also am going to mount an end vise in place of a wagon vise and was concerned about mounting it in end grain. The end vise is small, so I'm going to rebate the ends and put a "cap" on the end tall enough to accept the hardware for the vise, and it will have lots of face grain to face grain glue surface.
To cut the dog holes, i made the dimensions based on a metal dog that I happened across and tweaked the template on a scrap piece, establishing the 2 deg bevel on the. Chop saw. The depth was the hardest to figure but I ended up at about 15/16. I then marked out all 20 on the strip, 4" apart, with the first about 5" from the end. The I set the depth of my circular saw to less the the final cutting depth and ran two kerfs a little inside each edge. The I broke out the chisels and popped of the waste, which I figured of halfway through how to pretty much do in one pop. I cracked one spot where I shouldn't when I tried using a (dull) backsaw for comparison and was screwing around wit a chisel smacking where I shouldn't have. I was able to revalue the piece though. Then I got my new whiteside 1/2" 3/4 cl top bearing bit and cleaned up the slots wit the template. Pics to follow.