So I came into an actual roll of veneer. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 11-21-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
So I came into an actual roll of veneer.

Already two hoarding threads today but hey, what's one more?

My department at work is right next to the dumpster and mahgicly two whole rolls of paper back fir veneer landed in it. Two feet wide and around ten long, so there's plenty of it there. I took it because I have always wanted to learn how to use real veneer except now that I have it I don't think I'll ever have a project that would require it. It's not taking up any space in the corner I put it in I just don't really know what to do with it. Any ideas?

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo (Pokemon the Movie)
It's kind of strange that this line was delivered in that movie of all things. It's still a really good quote, and certainly a dang good thing to remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-21-2017, 10:25 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Veneer work is pretty simple but can be a nightmare if you are not equipped. The simplest system is a vacuum press where the project is more or less put in a plastic bag and the air is pumped out forcing the veneer down. The old fashion way is with a veneer press like what is shown. It takes a lot of pressure not of have any air bubbles under the veneer making voids. The adhesive you use is important too. You can use contact cement however when wood movement occurs contact cement is too rubbery to hold. When the substrate shrinks the veneer bubbles. Wood glue works alright for small pieces but larger sheets it dries around the edges and stays wet in the middle for a long time. For this reason hide glue or a resin glue would be a much better adhesive for veneer. Then if you manage to glue the veneer down good you have to be very careful using oil stain with paper back veneer. Paper back veneer is applied with hot melt glue and is affected by the solvents in stains.
Attached Images

post #3 of 5 Old 11-22-2017, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Generic Weeb

Good to note. When it comes to wood finishes and stains it's always a confusing subject as they really can react badly with certain projects. All in all it's always seemed to me that veneer is too much trouble than it's worth for anybody that's not running a factory or production of sorts. It can come in handy on plenty of occasions but not really for what I do. I'll pick up some hide glue, jig up a press and give it a shot just for the heck of it though. Thanks for the advice Steve!

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo (Pokemon the Movie)
It's kind of strange that this line was delivered in that movie of all things. It's still a really good quote, and certainly a dang good thing to remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-22-2017, 07:48 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you ever really get serious about veneer work it would be better to stay away from paper back veneer. You invest yourself into a project gluing veneer on and you are at the mercy of how well the paper is applied to the veneer which is applied with hot melt glue. It's a better hot melt glue than the hobby guns we use but still, my opinion is it not a permanent adhesive.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-22-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Generic Weeb

I eventually might try more of it in the future with a more serious attitude towards it. When that happens I'll use solid wood veneer that I'll have made myself. That was I could actually sand it. Hot glue is something I always try to avoid if I can anyways. I vastly prefer epoxy as it's a better solution for permanent things. I'm sure the industrial nonsense is fine and dandy but I'm with you on that mate best avoid it if possible. I'm just screwing around with it right now so if it goes south I'm really not out much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode