So confused with router error!!! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

View rookiewoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
So confused with router error!!!

Merry Christmas everyone. I need some help, am aggravated bc I can't figure this out!!! I am using a template with a flush trim bit with the ball bearing on the top to route some holes for an electric guitar. (bit also called a template bit but with no guide bushing i think). See the attached pictures. This is the control cavity. You can see where the router created a divot in the bottom part of the template and therefore the work piece. I can't figure out how this could happen since the ball bearing is same width as bit. Any thoughts?????
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
if your router tipped into the opening while cutting it would do this, with a palm router. Big ones probably wouldn't do it. Other possibilty is if the bearing was moving up and down on the bit.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 06:22 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That is bizzarre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
if your router tipped into the opening while cutting it would do this, with a palm router. Big ones probably wouldn't do it. Other possibilty is if the bearing was moving up and down on the bit.
If it were a long deviation it may mean the bearing or bit had tipped up or down, but it's just a short one. It make no sense. but there it is for sure. Tipping the bit would have a tipped path, not so. The bearing and the bit are the same diameter, so that seems to be working. Did the pattern/template shift at all during the pass? Did the bearing ride up on top of the template just briefly? That would explain the cut in the template. Shouldna' happened, but there it is.... weird.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-25-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Is that piece of mdf on top your template?
Ttom
post #5 of 14 Old 12-25-2012, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

The template is mdf. Thanks for responses, problem solved. It had to have been the bearing riding up. I pulled it out slightly to go a little deeper and didn't add the plastic tubing. User error that will never happen again!
post #6 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 03:32 PM

View Bill White's Photo Album My Photos
What is the old Occam's (also Ockham's) Razor? When in doubt, check the obvious.
I've NEVER had anything like that happen. Yeah! Sure!
Now I check and recheck. Crapo still happens.
Bill

Last edited by Bill White; 12-26-2012 at 03:36 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 04:21 PM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiewoodworker
The template is mdf. Thanks for responses, problem solved. It had to have been the bearing riding up. I pulled it out slightly to go a little deeper and didn't add the plastic tubing. User error that will never happen again!
Can you explain "didn't add plastic tubing"?
Tom
post #8 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Plastic tubing goes over the shaft of the bit and allows the ball bearing to be adjusted up or down so u can make deeper cuts. After further consideration, this was not the reason for the router error. There is no way the ball bearing moved bc there is a collar directly above it to prevent movement and it was tight. So, still no answer. I have since used the same exact template without error. It is also extremely unlikely that the template moved bc I had 4-5 pieces of double sided carpet tape. Any other thoughts? Frustrating bc it sure happened and I can't explain it!
post #9 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 07:29 PM

View Canarywood's Photo Album My Photos
That appears to have been done in two seperate passes,isn't that a solid piece of the laminate in the center of the glueup??
post #10 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 07:47 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
pictures please

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiewoodworker View Post
Plastic tubing goes over the shaft of the bit and allows the ball bearing to be adjusted up or down so u can make deeper cuts. After further consideration, this was not the reason for the router error. There is no way the ball bearing moved bc there is a collar directly above it to prevent movement and it was tight. So, still no answer. I have since used the same exact template without error. It is also extremely unlikely that the template moved bc I had 4-5 pieces of double sided carpet tape. Any other thoughts? Frustrating bc it sure happened and I can't explain it!
A picture of your router setup with the bearing, plastic sleeve and cutter will help.
Another question, what is the horitzontal black mark and why doesn't it run inside the "error" or did you add that afterward? This is more like a puzzle than a anything....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Yes it was done in 2 separate passes. There is no laminate. It is mahogany bottom with maple glued on top of it and them the mdf template taped on top of the maple. I don't understand how the router cut a divot out of the bottom of the template, and therefore the workpiece, some there is a ball bearing on top.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

The horizontal mark was created before the router error. It is the bottom of the template and just there bc I used it to mark the location using a sharpie. I will get a couple pics of the router setup and bit tonight.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

See attached pics of router and bit.
Attached Images

post #14 of 14 Old 12-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
My bet would be the bearing ceased or was not spinning as freely as it should. When you stopped or started there was enough pressure for the bearing to cut or burn its way in. The only thing missing is burn marks but I would check if the space not cut matches the space between bearing and cutter.

The other option I see is that if it was a double pass and you followed cut one for cut two that then the cutter may have removed any friction burn do to the bearing ceasing or being pushed in too hard.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode