small spot on table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pineknot_86

post #1 of 9 Old 09-07-2018, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

View smallspot's Photo Album My Photos
small spot on table

Hello
Thanks for letting me join.

Long story short, a spot is on my table. Its some kind of wood , sorry dont know.

What was left on the table ate thru the varnish i guess it is and stain straight thru to the bare hardwood.

I need to know the best way to fix this and protect the table from water damage etc.

I was thinking just getting a small can of spray on polyurethane

No experience at all in these things so please something easy and quick and as inexpensive as possible.

Thank you

becky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finish off table.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	365740  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-07-2018, 07:02 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
wood stain markers

https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-...e-surfaces.htm

This article explains the use of oil stains for small area repairs where the finish is removed. You have to be a bit of an artist to match the color and apply the stain. To void all that a stain colored marker may work.

For small spots like you have, a wood stain marker would also work to match the color.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Varathan...-202436275-_-N

It may not completely "fix" the area, but since you have no experience in refinishing which is a very complex process, this approach is best.

Other similar choices:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ideaworks...&wl13=&veh=sem

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Trade-Se...FczDwAodWdQM_A

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-07-2018 at 07:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
smallspot (09-07-2018)
post #3 of 9 Old 09-07-2018, 08:19 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
A spot like that is better done by a professional or refinish the entire top. It takes a lot of supplies and experience to touch up a spot like that to where it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. It won't completely go away regardless of who does it.

If you are going to work on it the first step should be to clean the area where you are going to work on the table with a wax and grease remover so you can remove as much furniture polish as you can from the finish.

Touch up markers are more of an ink and tend to bring out the grain of the wood. The finish on that table is more painted that stained so you don't want something that brings out the grain. I would make a stain out of latex paint to color that spot so it would be more pastel. You would need the pigments raw umber and yellow oxide.

Very likely the finish on that table is lacquer. This would be a lot easier to work with than polyurethane and available in rattle can also. Lacquer would melt into the existing finish so that would enable you to spray just the spot. It wouldn't be possible to spray the entire top with a rattle can. The finish won't completely blend in with the rest of the top. You will have to apply enough coats which you can rub out to blend it in with the top. Over time there is surface scratches in the top and the patch will be a fresh new finish so you would have to provide the surface scratches with 0000 steel wool.

Now what you might get into is if someone has used so much furniture polish that it can't be cleaned off. If when you start spraying the spot the finish tried to bead up like water on a freshly waxed car then stop. The repair would have to be done with a sprayer where an additive can be added to the finish to make it flow out. They put silicone in aerosol furniture polish and often it soaks into and gets embedded in the finish and all you can do is add the additive to the finish which is silicone itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
smallspot (09-07-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-07-2018, 09:24 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Cover it with a tablecloth? Many ways to solve the problem as mentioned. Good luck.
hawkeye10 likes this.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-07-2018, 10:04 AM

View t.carpenter00's Photo Album My Photos
And there you have it. It really doesn't get easier than that. Sorry.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 Old 09-07-2018, 12:18 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
advice that's workable ...

She is not going to refinish the top, or take it to a professional. She wants to "fix" it at a reasonable cost. She probably already know the cost of the alternatives..... $$$$

So, how can we help? A minor investment in stain samples, markers, even some pigments from A Sherman Williams store. A photograph with high quality color taken and show to the S/W counter person would give them an idea of what stains would work best.

To test for what the finish is, use nail polish remover which contains acetone. Acetone will dissolve lacquer, but won't have much effect on poly, if any. The age and quality of the table should help determine what the factory finish is.

The screws on bottom of my PC made some serious scratches on my Mission Oak desk top and I fixed it myself without refinishing the entire top. I used a Red Oak stain and poly over top in the affected area. It's barely visible, but I'm not a complete novice either.

The markers will not harm the surrounding finsh nor will the stains. The trick part will be the top coat. Spray cans require a learning curve. A brush on or wipe on finish is easier. So, that's my .02$

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
smallspot (09-07-2018)
post #7 of 9 Old 09-07-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input

The lacquer sounds like it might be my best bet.

And I will try to find a sherman williams store in my area, if there is one or something like it.

Would Home depot or Lowe's be ok for the stain matching part?

Was thinking just put polyurethane or well Lacquer now, over the spot and let it be a spot, i dont mind that, it looks cool

Will check into how much stuff costs thanks again everyone
post #8 of 9 Old 09-07-2018, 10:02 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
To help with your search, it is Sherwin-Williams, not Sherman Williams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 Old 09-08-2018, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Im sorry about that, I did know that just must have been thinking about something else when I typed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode