Slides for a ~40" deep drawer? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 06-29-2015, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

View Nick Sandmann's Photo Album My Photos
Slides for a ~40" deep drawer?

I am planning to build a set of drawers that will go underneath a twin bed in my son's room for some added storage. I am not anticipating his bed ever being in a position where 1 side of the bed is not against the wall, so to maximize storage I would like to make the drawers span the full width of the bed, which would equate to approximately 40" deep for a twin bed.

My main concern here is cost based on what I've found available online. The only way to get slides longer than 28" moves me into the heavy duty slides that are rated for 200Lbs or more. I've found those heavy duty slides anywhere from $50 - $400 per pair, and when multiplied out by the 4 drawers I am planning on, I will probably spend more on slides than lumber on this project. Supporting 200Lbs, or more, is not a concern for me since these will be storing off season clothes, bedding, toys, etc...

For drawers this deep, could I get by with a 28" pair of full extension slides?

Does anyone have a source for longer slides that are cheaper(say ~$20/pair, or less)? Or have an alternative solution for deep drawers like this?

Or am I just crazy for wanting to make drawers this long without spending hundreds of $'s on hardware?

Last edited by Nick Sandmann; 06-29-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-29-2015, 02:48 AM

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
My new Kreg workbench has a huge amount of wasted space under the bottom shelf and I'm going to build a wide/deep storage drawer for the space however my plan is to put the "drawer" on casters instead of using slides. May work for your situation as well and be a lot less expensive than the slides.

Post count on a forum does not denote level of knowledge, skill nor experience
post #3 of 20 Old 06-29-2015, 07:42 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What most of us do on a bed is make a drawer on each side of the bed. That way it's easier to open and doesn't have to be so big. Making drawer 12" deeper than the hardware isn't going to work too good. It will leave that foot of the drawer in the bed when fully open. You could make wooden slides that would come all the way out but you would pretty much have to pull the drawer out of the bed to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-29-2015, 07:53 AM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
How about wheels under a box or boxes?--is there a need for a drawer and case work?
post #5 of 20 Old 06-29-2015, 09:04 AM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I made some drawers to fit under the rolling tool box and under my work bench. Not very pretty but very useful. I used a 5 inch hole saw and cut them out of 1/2 inch plywood.

I'll post pics later.
post #6 of 20 Old 06-29-2015, 10:55 AM

View phoenixbound's Photo Album My Photos
cheaper = wooden slides
post #7 of 20 Old 06-29-2015, 11:14 AM

Here are the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-24 17.54.55.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	170201  

Name:	2013-09-03 20.03.56.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	170209  

Name:	2015-01-06 16.18.19.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	170217  

Name:	2013-09-05 12.59.10.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	170225  

post #8 of 20 Old 06-29-2015, 12:54 PM
cps

View cps's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
Here are the pics.
Nice idea for clamp storage....
post #9 of 20 Old 06-29-2015, 02:05 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
large drawers.

Nick,
I agree with the 3 post above from Marv, Mike and MT to use a furniture caster under the two large drawers instead of drawer slides.
I would put 1/4" Masonite on the floor between the rollers and the carpet.
Wooden guides would keep the drawers tracking straight.
post #10 of 20 Old 06-29-2015, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of just making 4 boxes and sitting them on casters, though I'll admit I like the idea of fixed drawers better than having the separate boxes that can slide around under there.

So the general consensus I am getting from all of the comments is that if I want smooth gliding slides, I either cough up the $$$, or come up with an alternative solution.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-29-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbound View Post
cheaper = wooden slides
Not the answer I was hoping for, but it's either going to be wood slides or the casters. Still noodling on this one, but thank you for the 3rd option!
post #12 of 20 Old 06-29-2015, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
I made some drawers to fit under the rolling tool box and under my work bench. Not very pretty but very useful. I used a 5 inch hole saw and cut them out of 1/2 inch plywood.

I'll post pics later.
While I will give you brownie points for creativity for shop storage(I may use this myself in the garage at some point in the future), I don't think I will be using this solution for this particular project.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-30-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Sandmann View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions. I hadn't thought of just making 4 boxes and sitting them on casters, though I'll admit I like the idea of fixed drawers better than having the separate boxes that can slide around under there.

So the general consensus I am getting from all of the comments is that if I want smooth gliding slides, I either cough up the $$$, or come up with an alternative solution.
Nick,
The caster I'm suggesting is a furniture caster with a low profile and a wide plastic wheel. I'm also suggesting guides to keep the drawers straight with Positive stops at the back. The 1/4" Masonite on the floor could also act as the positive stop. It will keep the rollers off your carpet, but when the back roller comes off the Masonite at the back, it acts as the stop for the drawer.
I think you would be happier with only two or three drawers rather than four narrow drawers.
post #14 of 20 Old 06-30-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
While I will give you brownie points for creativity for shop storage(I may use this myself in the garage at some point in the future), I don't think I will be using this solution for this particular project.
Thanks.

I have a drawing for a couple of drawers I have planned to go under our bed. It just so happens I have some 28 inch drawer slides left over from our kitchen remodel. I need to remeasure to make sure everything will fit before I get started. Like you, the drawer housing can only be accessed from one side of the bed. I am planning to make two drawers fit into a 48 inch wide box.

I think it is my next project after I finish a toy box I am building.
post #15 of 20 Old 06-30-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Nick,
The caster I'm suggesting is a furniture caster with a low profile and a wide plastic wheel. I'm also suggesting guides to keep the drawers straight with Positive stops at the back. The 1/4" Masonite on the floor could also act as the positive stop. It will keep the rollers off your carpet, but when the back roller comes off the Masonite at the back, it acts as the stop for the drawer.
I think you would be happier with only two or three drawers rather than four narrow drawers.
Wait, so what would I use for guides then? Or are you saying I should build the case work as I would if using the expensive slides, and then just put casters under the drawers, and use the case as a guide so the drawers slide straight in and out.

Note: His room has a hardwood floor, so carpet protection isn't a huge concern. He does however have a rug next to the bed and the casters would need to roll over that when the drawers are pulled out.
post #16 of 20 Old 06-30-2015, 04:33 PM

Big drawers

Quote:
Wait, so what would I use for guides then? Or are you saying I should build the case work as I would if using the expensive slides, and then just put casters under the drawers, and use the case as a guide so the drawers slide straight in and out.

Note: His room has a hardwood floor, so carpet protection isn't a huge concern. He does however have a rug next to the bed and the casters would need to roll over that when the drawers are pulled out.
Nick,
The guides could be made from strips of plywood or whatever. I would make the guides by doubling two strips of 3/4" thick wood. Two guides for each drawer. I would screw or nail these to the 1/4" Masonite bottom. The wooden guides will keep the drawers tracking straight at 90 degrees. The Masonite will keep the rollers from making marks on your hardwood floor. The drawer will open and close between the wood guides. No other hardware.
The rollers I've suggested in a previous post are available at most Big Box stores. You see a lot of these type casters on metal bed frames.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-30-2015, 05:13 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
you could ....

Use the large wheels for easy rolling in this photo from Mike, but put them on the inside of the carcass rather then the outside. Cut a slot in the bottom for the wheel and clearance. That way the side will be smooth and easy to guide in and out using a matching wood plate inside. If needed for strength, an additional bracket or wood plate to support the other end of the axle will allow greater weight loads.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #18 of 20 Old 06-30-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

Use the large wheels for easy rolling in this photo from Mike, but put them on the inside of the carcass rather then the outside. Cut a slot in the bottom for the wheel and clearance. That way the side will be smooth and easy to guide in and out using a matching wood plate inside. If needed for strength, an additional bracket or wood plate to support the other end of the axle will allow greater weight loads.

You could use wooden wheels like in the picture shown, but I would keep the wheels on the outside and still have them roll between wooden guides.
post #19 of 20 Old 06-30-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so I am personally liking the caster idea with masonite and guides(thank you Tooman50!). However, I have been over ruled by the boss(wife) who wants the case work around the drawers. She doesn't like the idea of the drawer tops being open like this as these will be used for more long term storage of clothes and bedding and she would prefer the drawers are fully enclosed like a dresser to keep the dust and other things out. We have 2 dogs, so hair getting in there is a legitimate concern in my house.

That said, I think I may have a hybrid solution between the wooden slides and casters. If I build out the plywood case, and then do wooden runners on the sides of each drawer opening, the drawers could slide along those. However to better support the drawers when fully extended, I could put 2 casters on the front bottom edge of the drawers, and then notch out a recess in the bottom of the case work similar to the sketchup drawing below. I'd also veneer the exposed ends of the case work with Walnut to match the bed so that you don't see plywood on the ends.

I've also included a couple pics of the bed(no mattress yet) and an underneath shot of it(my son was inspecting my work with a tape measure). The rug in the middle of his room is rolled up underneath the bed in these pics. Note that when this bed was designed, drawers weren't part of the equation or I would have made the bottoms of those bed rails straight instead of cutting that arc.

Any reason this wouldn't work?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boy in bed.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	170530  

Attached Images

post #20 of 20 Old 06-30-2015, 10:48 PM

Sounds Like you've got a plan.
I still think you will be happier with only 3 drawers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode