Singer Sewing Machine Veneer repair - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

View Big Red's Photo Album My Photos
Singer Sewing Machine Veneer repair

I am repairing the surface of an old singer sewing machine circa 1900. My questions are 1. What type of wood veneer do I get? I got oak samples and that does not appear to be the correct wood. 2. What stain do I use? Dark Walnut looks like that could be the one, but I am not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I am repairing the surface of an old singer sewing machine circa 1900. My questions are 1. What type of wood veneer do I get? I got oak samples and that does not appear to be the correct wood. 2. What stain do I use? Dark Walnut looks like that could be the one, but I am not sure.
Can you post pictures of what you have?

post #3 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 04:48 PM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
We have one and it looks like oak. The samples you have could be cut differently.

You really just have to pudder with the stain to get it to match, possibly creating a mix of a couple of different tints. Fortunately, you can get small cans for not much money.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to bradnailer For This Useful Post:
STAR (03-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 04:56 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Most of the ones I had in my shop were oak. I've seen them done in mahogany and walnut too so we need a picture.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

View Big Red's Photo Album My Photos
Here are a couple of photos of the drawer that needs repair. One close up so you can see the wood grain. I did get some oak but it is quarter sawn and the grain looks different. What do I really need?
Attached Images

post #6 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 05:49 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like rift sawn red oak to me.

The dark walnut stain might work if you thin it down. It would be too dark right out of the can. I think jacobean thinned down might come closer. You will probably need to use a little orange shellac to age the finish as well. If you plan to topcoat with polyurethane be sure to use de-waxed shellac.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 03-22-2013 at 07:58 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 06:04 PM

View BZawat's Photo Album My Photos
+1 Steve
post #8 of 10 Old 03-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
If you have an outlet nearby that sells veneer, use a straightedge and an x-Acto knife and cut off a strip of veneer to take to the store to get a grain match if you can.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Gold Coast. OZ

View STAR's Photo Album My Photos
Hi.

I did a repair on a 1929 Singer Sewing machine awhile back. I posted photos of it too. I put it in the Project section but am unsure how to transfer it here for you to have a gander at.

To make it easier I have bumped that thread to the top again, have a look to see if you had the same problem I had.

I got a lot of advice from here, infact, I could not have done it without this place.

Pete
post #10 of 10 Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 AM
Gold Coast. OZ

View STAR's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post

If you go to the Singer Sewing Machine site they have recorded every single sewing machine they have made. Have a look at the Serial number of your machine and then check.

I did a repair for my daughter, research shows it is a 1920 Model.

Pete

Last edited by STAR; 03-22-2013 at 01:48 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode