Signing your work - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GeorgeC

post #1 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

View AwesomeOpossum74's Photo Album My Photos
Signing your work

Is there an accepted protocol for signing your furniture pieces, like where, how and what information is included?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 03:53 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
No.Do as you like.

George
Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Central Florida

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
no protocol, per say.
it can be a rubber stamp, hot brand, brass tag or vinyl sticky label.
look at some of the vintage and antique labels of manufacture.
some are as big as post cards and ornate as they can get.
totally your call.

I use engraved brass tags for my affluent pieces.
here is the tag I put on a Steamer Trunk that I made for my granddaughter.
as a professional sign maker, my label definitely went on the back of every
sign or project I ever made. (for repeat business).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Name Tag.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	376913  

-- Failure is proof that you at least tried ~ now, go do it again, and again, until you get it right --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 05:44 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Some people sign their work with a Sharpie. Others staple or stick-on a paper tag. Others use embossing stamps - either individual letters or pre-made. You can get custom branding irons that are heated with a torch or an electric wood burner (like a soldering iron). Use them to put your mark your grilled steaks, too.

You can get engraved plaques and small plates in brass and other metals. Some guys make small custom tags on CNC and laser machines.

My spouse told me about a woodworker who drills a hole and glues a shiny penny with the current year's date on it.

I am still searching for my inner artist. Until then, my output blends in with everyone else's beautifully handcrafted anonymous woodworking projects.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 08:10 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Another option is to print a mirror image with a laser printer and then transfer the image to the wood with a hot iron or use acetone as described below:
https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/di...abric-and-wood

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #6 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 09:12 PM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
I use a branding iron to burn my signature in a non obvious place. With a little practice it works very well. A cheap propane torch to heat the branding iron and you're set. Custom irons of all sizes are available.

A friend of mine can make them for you.
https://beamerweb.com/

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon
post #7 of 9 Old 07-08-2019, 09:31 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
I've got a stamp for smaller pieces, for bigger things I take a thin piece of mahogany burn my name in it and glue it down with some brass tacks. Looks rather nice if I do say so myself.

-T

"Dreams are stronger than poison and seize more firmly than disease, once captured one can not escape. It's a real curse, but for adventurers who are dedicated to it, body and soul, people without dreams are more frightening than death" (Made in Abyss). The Twenty Seventeen anime of the year, it definitely deserves that award. It's a show you don't expect to throw you off as much as it does. It may be Moe but it's certainly not lighthearted, just the opposite.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-11-2019, 12:31 PM

View Roybrew's Photo Album My Photos
We have some old furniture with my wife's grandfather, and great great uncle's name on them. This means a lot to her. So if I make a nice piece, I'll write date and name on it. I would like to think, somehow, a great great grandchild of mine might end up with the one.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 Old 07-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Firewood Inquisitor

View sprior's Photo Album My Photos
I have a branding iron I got from Rockler that says "hand crafted by Steve Prior". When I turn bowls I have a woodburning pen to sign them, but I hate my handwriting (and it isn't getting better). In the last few years I've purchased both a laser engraver and a CNC which raises some interesting possibilities as well as questions. One idea is to cut round wooden discs on the CNC and then laser engrave those with some kind of signature. I can then inlay those discs into the project. Other possibilities could be laser engraving a resist and chemical etching brass plates, or I could use a diamond drag bit to engrave things on the CNC.

But the other question is that some people don't consider something that was partially created with a CNC "hand made", so in this new age of makerdom what's the new term to use - "created"? The funny part is that I built the CNC by hand, so a part of me wants to sign things "created by Steve Prior using hand made robots", but that's too big for a brand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode