Woodworking Talk banner

Show us your shop!

1M views 2K replies 629 participants last post by  dbhost 
#1 ·
We already had a few members post pictures of thier shop here: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=28 but I wanted to start a new thread just for members to show off their shops.

So, big or small... let's see what you got. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
I just got in from taking pictures of my shop. Being more of an on the job woodworker I have a shop trailer. I bought the trailer earlier this year and have it set up just about perfect. I have been wanting this for about 6 years and have been planning it to a T. Here are the pictures, enjoy.

I now have an air conditioner on top. The only other shop area that I have is a small one car garage attached to the house. I do have a larger table saw, floor model drill press, 6" grizzly jointer, and 14" grizzly bandsaw.

Dave.

#628 · (Edited)
Trailer shop

I love your workshop. :thumbsup:
I had the same idea before but I don’t have trailer yet.
I do 90% of my work on jobsite and this setup would be great.
How big is your trailer?

Here is my website: http://jakeschs.com/default.aspx

I just got in from taking pictures of my shop. Being more of an on the job woodworker I have a shop trailer. I bought the trailer earlier this year and have it set up just about perfect. I have been wanting this for about 6 years and have been planning it to a T. Here are the pictures, enjoy.

Dave.

#7 · (Edited)
Dave,
What size rig is that? I know it was custom made but forgot the dimensions.
I'm about a month away from upgrading from a 6x10 to a 7x16. Can't wait!
Also, how are the spaces designed that are keeping your tools in place? I don't see drawers but can't make out how you have it designed.

#645 ·
I am always suspicious of guys like Dave...so neat and organized....geez...what will my wife or customers say if they see something like that? Thanks Dave...another standard set that I will have be held accountable for!

Actually...very nice set up. I always wanted to do the same thing with our step vans, but we change tools so much from job to job it isn't practical.

#8 ·
I am always suspicious of guys like Dave...so neat and organized....geez...what will my wife or customers say if they see something like that? Thanks Dave...another standard set that I will have be held accountable for!

Actually...very nice set up. I always wanted to do the same thing with our step vans, but we change tools so much from job to job it isn't practical.

#9 ·
Thanks guys. The trailer is 8'6" wide by 16' long. I had an extra foot added to the height so I could stand up. It measures 7'8" inside in the center.

Rob, I don't have any drawers. I like the plastic boxes that my tools come in and if they didn't have one then I buy one for them. The boxes are just put in the shelf areas for best fit. The peices of plywood that is about 4" wide is just wedge fitted for easy removal. I've been toying with the idea of doors but can't make up my mind. The space on the floor is 50" wide so you can lay plywood down on the floor. I just recently raised the table saw up onto the shelf to allow for 16' material to be loaded under it.

Customers are very impressed. Personally, and I think TomR agrees, appearance and organization says alot, notto mention it makes it easier to get to your equipment.

I was never organized before. I used to have a short bed chevy with a topper on it and had to load what I needed for the day everyday. What a pain and if you forgot something you were screwed. At least I was. Around here my closest job was at least 30 miles from home. Recently I've been working about 75 miles one way. I'm still working on getting it stocked the way I want. I'm trying to keep enough consumables like glue and screws in bulk so I've always got what I need. The panel saw is set to the back and with the ramp door down I can rip up to 10' long material. I've been wanting to get it weighed just to find out how heavy it actually is. It's a killer on gas mileage though.

Rob, have you checked into the price difference between a 7' wide and 8'wide. even with the 7' wide trailer the tires are still on the outside which makes the trailer as wide as an 8'. Just a thought. It will give you alot of extra room.

Sorry for the long post. I know I hate to read em.

#11 ·
Dave, you have supplied the answer to my dilema. On the next trailer, I have been wondering how to keep boxes, buckets and tool cases from flying all over, without the use of doors. Seeing the way you have it setup is almost the answer for me. I think I would add a 4" x 3/4" block about 13/16" behind the face frame to create a slot. This would allow the 4" high panels to slip in and out of place easily while keeping everything where it belongs.
I'm big on using the trays that go inside buckets to organize and store screws, nails, fittings etc. I wanted to go 3 high with the buckets and was wondering how to keep them in place. This will be far better than bungee cords.
Thanks for the info.

#215 ·
I don't know if they're available outside Quebec but there is a small mobile cottage that is built on that concept. Pull it out to some remote place, stick some blocks under it and unfold it. Washroom and kitchen are in the middle and everything else is stored in the middle but moves out to the edges. They've been working on using these as granny flats or for senior's "villages." I don't recall the name but they have been advertised on TV in both English and French Canada as well as the "normal feature news"

At some point I'll remember what they're called and I'll post it.

Allthunbs

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks Dave,

I designed and built it. I had so much fun doing both , it pushed me over the edge to get off my ass and start designing some other things - and of course I needed a machine shop to do that, then ...... but I did get a solid 15 years of time working in it, and I still use it - though not full time like before.

Regards,

jimc

#22 ·
My shop is about 2 miles from my house. Makes it convenient enough but not so close I'm always working. I have two areas the same size as the front view. The main shop is shown in the picture and the other side (to the right through a door) contains my spray room. It takes up about half that area. The rest is used for raw wood and ply storage, and a place to put finished cabinets and items when they are done or just need to be out of harms way. When I only had the one area, building kitchens would make the shop pretty squishy, I had to clean the shop to an almost dustless condition every time I wanted to do finishing. If I needed to do some wood working while the finishing process was going on it would make things difficult. Now having a separate spray room, isolated from the dust making area is a great advantage. I can do wood working while items are drying and make much more efficient use of my time. Just got to remember to blow the dust off before going into the spray room:icon_rolleyes: .

#23 ·
I've been holding out from showing any pics of my shop cuz it's such a mess, but last weekend I took EVERYTHING out and cleaned up. I'm ready to hook up my cyclone so hopefully it will stay a little cleaner...;) ;)

Attachments

#26 ·
workshops

love the idea of a trailer with side tent/awning. Unfortunately had to sell my caravan when moved her but still have the awning which has fibreglass poles. must sell it on ebay sometime.
At present having to make do with garage. have just bought some folding hinges to enable me to make a collapsible bench. Have same arrangement in my den/study which is great for paperwork, but folds out of the way when not needed.
johnep

#28 ·
Welcome to the forum Nancy. I missed you somehow.

Why don't you do us the courtesy of posting a few pictures here since in order to see them on your other hangout, a would-be viewer will be forced to register with that forum.

Many of us are picky about registering with a bunch of forums and would rather stay put to view each others' pictures. ;)

I know that I won't register on a forum just to view pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.