Should I jump on this walnut deal? Time sensitive! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes

post #1 of 27 Old 07-13-2020, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

View baserock love's Photo Album My Photos
Should I jump on this walnut deal? Time sensitive!

I'm as new as you can get at this, iv'e done one project in pine and i want to get into hard wood but the nearest hard wood store is 2 hours away and I don't even really understand the pricing of hardwood when i look online.

But there's a guy trying to unload his storage and he's offered to sell me two rough sawn walnut boards that are 1 inch by 7 inches by 8 feet for 40 dollars.

I dont' currently have a planer or jointer so i can't do a whole lot with them till i either find a way to use one of those or make a face jointing jig for the table saw but is this a good enough deal that i should just jump on it? I know walnut is expensive i'm just a bit unclear on how expensive.

If this is an insane deal i'll go pick em up and just hang onto them till i can figure out a way to get em flat and planed to a thickness i want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-13-2020, 05:57 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
That's about $4.28 per board foot. If it's dry then that's a good price. If it's wet (freshly cut) then you'll need to set it aside for a while before using it.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 27 Old 07-13-2020, 05:59 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by baserock love View Post
I'm as new as you can get at this, iv'e done one project in pine and i want to get into hard wood but the nearest hard wood store is 2 hours away and I don't even really understand the pricing of hardwood when i look online.

But there's a guy trying to unload his storage and he's offered to sell me two rough sawn walnut boards that are 1 inch by 7 inches by 8 feet for 40 dollars.

I dont' currently have a planer or jointer so i can't do a whole lot with them till i either find a way to use one of those or make a face jointing jig for the table saw but is this a good enough deal that i should just jump on it? I know walnut is expensive i'm just a bit unclear on how expensive.

If this is an insane deal i'll go pick em up and just hang onto them till i can figure out a way to get em flat and planed to a thickness i want.
It's not an insane deal.

It is about 9 board feet, about $4.35 a bf for rough isn't a deal, especially as you have no idea what grade it is. Coupled with the fact that you have no way to process it, and it makes it even less attractive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 07-13-2020, 06:00 PM
Just figuring it out

View Dave Mills's Photo Album My Photos
Just some data points....
- a 1x7 board 8 ft long has 4.6 board feet of wood in it.
- Here in NorCal, S3S (smooth on 3 sides) Walnut is around $8-9/board foot. I don't know about TX.
- Rough sawn should be cheaper than smooth, but I don't know how much cheaper
- Given your lack of power tools to smooth them down, let alone flatten any bows, twists, or otherwise, I'd make darn sure these boards are flat as a board (ha ha) before you buy them
post #5 of 27 Old 07-13-2020, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks guys. I guess i'll pass.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-13-2020, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Actually this guy is a pretty motivated seller. What WOULD be a deal so good on this that i shouldn't pass it up if he decides to come down? While i can't process them now I probably will be able to soon, a buddy on here will be getting a jointer/planer in the near future. This guy is moving and is trying to get rid of ALL his wood and he's moving in like 3 days and he's still got a good bit left.

EDIT: Here's pics of the wood, he's got a few kinds, not even sure which is the walnut. He says it's thoroughly dried but i'd have to take his word on that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	106700938_10102340379148463_8346279030272755246_o.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	392359  

Name:	107512477_10102340379233293_2226362847538677068_o.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	392361  

Name:	107519177_10102340382401943_4701305914199661324_o.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	392363  

Last edited by baserock love; 07-13-2020 at 06:29 PM.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-13-2020, 06:49 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Wood prices vary a lot based on your location, so you should take any price advice with a grain of salt. If youre in an area where you can get walnut for $5 a board-foot, the price you quoted isnt much of a deal, but in an area like mine where walnut runs $12+ a board-foot, id jump on $4.85 in a heartbeat.
TommyBoyWA likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #8 of 27 Old 07-14-2020, 01:18 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
unless you have plans for black walnut, i'd pass
you'd just be swapping to much junk in his shop for to much junk in your shop
post #9 of 27 Old 07-14-2020, 04:20 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
IIRC the OP doesn't have a shop, lives in an apartment...

So he would be paying to store junk, makes the cost go up dramatically, the longer you keep it... :)
post #10 of 27 Old 07-14-2020, 05:14 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like low quality lumber from what I can see there’s quite a bit of sapwood.

Ever see the lumber yard describe their walnut as “sapwood is no defect”? That always gets me;-)

Robert
post #11 of 27 Old 07-14-2020, 06:13 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Photos aren't great, but it looks like the grade of the lumber isn't great. I'd offer him half.
post #12 of 27 Old 07-14-2020, 06:15 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
..... but in an area like mine where walnut runs $12+ a board-foot,.....
Really? I'm in St. Louis area and I've seen a lot on CL for a lot less.

P.S. I just checked on CL and I see prices have gone up. Guess I was wrong.

Last edited by djg; 07-14-2020 at 06:24 PM.
post #13 of 27 Old 07-14-2020, 07:50 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Really? I'm in St. Louis area and I've seen a lot on CL for a lot less.

P.S. I just checked on CL and I see prices have gone up. Guess I was wrong.
When doing price comparisons, i usually go off of what i can find at lumber yards. Can find cheaper on CL of course, but cant always find what you need, or how much you need. Lumber yard price sheet gives a consistent price

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
djg (07-14-2020)
post #14 of 27 Old 07-14-2020, 08:30 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
If your not doing that much and you can wait. I would buy what I need when I need it.
post #15 of 27 Old 07-14-2020, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
I do, but id on't need a much of it, my first from scratch project is gonna be a small end table with walnut and maple, primarily walnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
Photos aren't great, but it looks like the grade of the lumber isn't great. I'd offer him half.
He actually wont' budge a single dollar despite claiming he's desperate to unload all his wood before he moves in like 4 days. He just said "I'll just take it with me then!"

I'm passing, gonna hit up houston hardwoods. My main issue is that it's about a 3 to 4 hour drive to the nearest hardwood store but yeah, i'd rather get some wood that I know is dry, that i know is good quality, no bugs, hasn't been sitting out in the humidity of a garage for god knows how long that i can just get planed and flattened to the thickness i need for my project and just be done with it. This is a piece i want to last forever i'd rather know the wood is good.

Thanks for your input guys.
post #16 of 27 Old 07-15-2020, 12:47 AM

View TommyBoyWA's Photo Album My Photos
3 to 4 hour drive to the lumber yard? I'd rather order through one of the better online wood sites. I've had really good luck with them and the better ones will make sure you are happy with your order. Save the time and money you'd spend on gas.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #17 of 27 Old 07-15-2020, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBoyWA View Post
3 to 4 hour drive to the lumber yard? I'd rather order through one of the better online wood sites. I've had really good luck with them and the better ones will make sure you are happy with your order. Save the time and money you'd spend on gas.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Well i meant round trip. This is texas so we're pretty used to drives like that. I looked at online stores, shipping looks to be astronomical which makes lunch and meeting up with a friend in houston while getting wood seem like not a bad proposition.

Can you recommend a well priced online store or two you've had good experiences with? Seems like the first ones that come up on google are really expensive.
post #18 of 27 Old 07-15-2020, 05:58 AM

View ehbowen's Photo Album My Photos
Mr. Baserock: Before you take the plunge, I'd advise you that there is a sawmill in Rusk (Wilcox Timber) which offers Black Walnut for $4 a board foot (rough sawn), last I checked. I'm in the process of planning a shopping trip up there after I get a few more immediate needs (like, A/C in the car!) taken care of.

Where's the KABOOM? There was supposed to have been an Earth-shattering KABOOM!

----Eric H. Bowen
post #19 of 27 Old 07-15-2020, 09:29 AM

View Echo415's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by baserock love View Post

I'd say go for it if you have the money available. If you have a router, look up router sleds on youtube and put a little time into making one because it'll be very useful and versatile for future projects.
post #20 of 27 Old 07-16-2020, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehbowen View Post
Mr. Baserock: Before you take the plunge, I'd advise you that there is a sawmill in Rusk (Wilcox Timber) which offers Black Walnut for $4 a board foot (rough sawn), last I checked. I'm in the process of planning a shopping trip up there after I get a few more immediate needs (like, A/C in the car!) taken care of.
That's good to know if it's good dry wood. About a 4 hour round trip away from me but once my buddy here gets a planer that would be worth a drive if i decided to do some more walnut stuff. Eventually i plan to do a matching coffee table for the end table i'm about to make which would definitely require a lot more walnut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo415 View Post
I'd say go for it if you have the money available. If you have a router, look up router sleds on youtube and put a little time into making one because it'll be very useful and versatile for future projects.
I just got a router and am about to make a router table. What kind of sled would be good in this context? Is there like a planing sled you can make for routers?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode