Should I get a band saw??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 47 Old 01-25-2008, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

View Arymanth's Photo Album My Photos
Should I get a band saw???

Hi!

Well, for those who remember me, I'm still making rocking chairs, and my business is just starting to really take off! Now my problem is making them fast enough to meet demand! I was thinking about buying a band saw so I can cut several pieces at once. I've never used one, so I'm not sure how well they do on curves? I'd be cutting several sheets of 1/2" MDF. Even if I could just use it for the bottom curve of the chair, it would save me a lot of time over doing it one piece at a time with my jigsaw. So what do you think? Is it worth the investment, or is there a better tool I could use?

TIA!

Stephanie
IvyRose Spica Furniture
http://www.freewebs.com/arymanth/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 01-25-2008, 03:25 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
I use my bandsaw all the time, you probably need one. I just have a cheap 10"er. I am going to soon get a bigger one. They really are a useful tool, you will be surprised just how much you go to it once you have one. A bandsaw would really speed up your rockers 3-4X, and some of your other parts too.
post #3 of 47 Old 01-25-2008, 03:38 PM

View Steve G.'s Photo Album My Photos
I just got a cheap 10"er too and even with the junk blade I have on it, it's very useful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 01-25-2008, 04:06 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Not only is a BS a really useful tool, but it sounds to me like it's the best tool for the job in your case. They're great for roughing out curves...you'll still sand or rout to the line though.
post #5 of 47 Old 01-25-2008, 04:34 PM

View stuart's Photo Album My Photos
aside from the expert advice, I got to say again, Stephanie, those are great fackers[chairs] and big keepers. Job well done.
post #6 of 47 Old 01-25-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

View Arymanth's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all your input, I'm putting a band saw at the top of my tool wish list. :-D

Stephanie
post #7 of 47 Old 01-25-2008, 10:11 PM

Right - on...
post #8 of 47 Old 01-25-2008, 10:50 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Band saw is a must. I have 3 and want one more. I have a 10" Delta/Rockwell its about 50 or 60 years old, Cuts like a new one. Have a 12" Craftman, its was made in the early 50s. Love it. And a little craftman 3 wheeler, its about 20 years old, it ok for light duty. I want a 24" pro model.

Man can't live by bread alone, He must have bandsaw
post #9 of 47 Old 01-26-2008, 12:58 PM

View MinConst's Photo Album My Photos
The band saw is probably the most versatile saw I have. Been through 3 and don't care for the cheapies. Not that mine is all that good just a craftsman 12" but it is much better than the 3 wheelers I had before this.
post #10 of 47 Old 01-27-2008, 10:29 AM

View Al Killian's Photo Album My Photos
Currently I have a 10" Rockwell and it does ok. Biggest problem with it is the limits on how big of a peice can be used on it. The wife gave permission to order a 17", which will allow for resawing. As others have said, you will use it all the time.
post #11 of 47 Old 01-27-2008, 12:01 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Arymanth

I am amazed at how much I am using my 14 inch bandsaw since I have set up my shop. It is very versatile, especially where you are working with curves. 14 inch would be the smallest to get. If you can go bigger, I would recommend that you do so. There are some excellent threads in the tools section of the forum, where the merits of various saws are discussed.

Gerry
post #12 of 47 Old 01-27-2008, 12:13 PM

View daryl in nanoose's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry KIERNAN View Post
Hi Arymanth

I am amazed at how much I am using my 14 inch bandsaw since I have set up my shop. It is very versatile, especially where you are working with curves. 14 inch would be the smallest to get. If you can go bigger, I would recommend that you do so. There are some excellent threads in the tools section of the forum, where the merits of various saws are discussed.

Gerry
I second this one, very surprised how much I use it
post #13 of 47 Old 01-27-2008, 02:37 PM

View woodman51jfk's Photo Album My Photos
Once you have one, you'll wonder definitely wonder how you managed without for so long........the Grizzly Ultimate 14" is a good saw at a fair price, plus it can accept a riser extension kit, if you want to resaw in the future.
post #14 of 47 Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 AM

View bigredc's Photo Album My Photos
I might as well add my two cents. Like others I am surprised how much I love mine. I only bought it because it was a good deal. Know I use the heck out of it. What I like the best is it's much safer, You don't have a blade whizzing around trying to cut your hand off. Compared to other saw's it spins relatively slow. I'd make a bet that after you buy one within 3 - 6 months you'll have a second one. I haven't even been doing woodwork that long, but I can guarantee it will make you money.
post #15 of 47 Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 AM

View solidwoods's Photo Album My Photos
For a band saw you would need to add a substantial size table because the pieces are quite large.
A band saw is a good choice.
IRS auctioneers auction large band saws for cheap (but most are in NC, VA, TN, the furniture belt,, so transport is an issue).

A CNC router 4' x 8' model can make the pieces from a whole sheet. It can make a piece in about 30sec per piece, and since its software based- no roughing out, unlimited designs/scaling , other router embellishments are a breeze (adds to product value).
Yes a cnc router is 10k but it will make your production speed look slow.
They can (for this type project) equate to "it does in 1 day the work you did in a week", so you get 4 days off. That has value.
jim
post #16 of 47 Old 01-28-2008, 09:12 AM

How do you find that IRS auction?
post #17 of 47 Old 01-28-2008, 01:20 PM

View Capt Crutch's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredc View Post
What I like the best is it's much safer, You don't have a blade whizzing around trying to cut your hand off. Compared to other saw's it spins relatively slow.
Careful, there. If I'm not mistaken there are more accidents on band saws than table saws, even though table saws are used more. One reason, I think, is because most people don't think of a band saw as being dangerous. The same goes for jointers, but there are a lot of accidents on them, too.

I've cut up deer on band saws, and trust me --- it'll cut your arm off in a heartbeat if you're not careful.

My Dad once shaved a thin slice off of his forearm before he even felt the blood that was dripping off his arm...be careful out there!
post #18 of 47 Old 01-28-2008, 01:28 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I will second Capt Crutch on that one. Treat your bandsaw with the same respect you show your table saw. It can hurt you pretty bad.

Gerry
post #19 of 47 Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 PM

I am careful, I almost always use a push stick. I keep the guide down. I might be to relaxed. I never hurts to take a step back and examine your technique. It's just that compared to the table saw. I have a frued that will cut standing still let alone going a couple thousand rpm. I try to keep my fingers as far away as possible. I'm not ashamed to admit that thing scares the crap out of me.
post #20 of 47 Old 01-29-2008, 04:21 AM

It's good to be scared of it - that means you care about your hands and fingers. But "safety" is the word of the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode