Short board lengths? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By ScubaDoog
  • 1 Post By Tool Agnostic

post #1 of 7 Old 09-12-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

View Deeplyrooted's Photo Album My Photos
Short board lengths?

I have some access to some logs to get milled into lumber. They have to be 6’ length or less though. What length should I have them cut? Is 4’ long enough for cabinets? Or should I go 5’. I want to maximize what I can get. Any suggestions for length and size is welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-12-2019, 04:14 PM

View ScubaDoog's Photo Album My Photos
I'm building cabinets for my kitchen at the moment and have rarely needed to go beyond 5'. That said, why not get the full 6' lengths?
sweensdv and GeorgeC like this.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-12-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

They are still the whole tree and not cut yet, 5 pieces at 5’ instead of 6 give me an extra log lol. I’ll probably do various lengths on the stuff I don’t plan on using for cabinets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-12-2019, 06:26 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I'm confused. Why would you not want the largest boards possible, other than transportation issues? Cutting the tree into the largest, longest boards gives you increased choices about which end (or middle) of a board to use, and you can always use the cutoffs to make boxes, test pieces, featherboards, pen blanks, push sticks, or whatever.

I get the feeling that you must choose between more shorter boards or fewer longer boards, but that's what's confusing to me.

If you're deciding between 3x five foot boards or 2x six foot boards, I might choose the former to get more useable boards, but the exact choices are not clear to me.
GeorgeC likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-12-2019, 11:58 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not a proffesional but I think the pros factor in about a 20% waste loss. You will probally find a few knots or checking on the ends of your boards. I'm a serious hobbyist who understands the cost of lumber so I save my cut-offs and use them...

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I'm confused. Why would you not want the largest boards possible, other than transportation issues? Cutting the tree into the largest, longest boards gives you increased choices about which end (or middle) of a board to use, and you can always use the cutoffs to make boxes, test pieces, featherboards, pen blanks, push sticks, or whatever.

I get the feeling that you must choose between more shorter boards or fewer longer boards, but that's what's confusing to me.

If you're deciding between 3x five foot boards or 2x six foot boards, I might choose the former to get more useable boards, but the exact choices are not clear to me.
Yes that’s what I was trying to say. What’s the use of cutting 6’ length logs if I only need say 4’ plus 6-8” for checking and splits. I’m sure I’ll use that 1’ piece somewhere but if I can get one extra log 5’ long then it be ideal to go that route. I just wasn’t sure what length was ideal for say cabinets. Plus I was curious as to what others use short boards for. My logs for cabinets I’ll probably cut 5’. The others I’ll mix it up to get best yield.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieL View Post
I'm not a proffesional but I think the pros factor in about a 20% waste loss. You will probally find a few knots or checking on the ends of your boards. I'm a serious hobbyist who understands the cost of lumber so I save my cut-offs and use them...
I save a lot of my cut offs also as I hate throwing them away but honestly after a year I have a huge pile and most get tossed if it’s under 12-14”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode