• 2 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Nowthatumentionit
  • 1 Post By NoThankyou
  • 2 Post By Bob Vaughan

post #1 of 18 Old 09-26-2020, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Shop Vac going out of business!

Stock up on Shop Vac filter elements as they become scarce or unavaiable....?

https://www.google.com/search?client...4dUDCAw&uact=5

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...0-e009b788ba23

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-26-2020, 06:44 PM

View kiwi_outdoors's Photo Album My Photos
Displaced by RIGID ? (at Home Depot)

Retired engineer-bureaucrat in Oakland, CA. Been working with wood since the 1960's. From the 50's if you count the scrap woodpile on the farm!
post #3 of 18 Old 09-26-2020, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Possibly, but Rigid was always my choice anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
Displaced by RIGID ? (at Home Depot)

The Rigids would go on sale for almost 1/2 price in certain fall sales. I'd buy 2 or 3 at a time. They were seriously more quiet as well. It's a shame regardless when any USA company goes under. Remington Arms is also going through bankruptcy thanks to NY state attorney general who hates guns and has issued and supported various lawsuits:
https://www.google.com/search?client...ed+by+ny+state

Since when is the manufacturer of any product guilty of the illegal misuse of it? The gasoline used to burn Portland and Seattle cites will be found responsible if the current course of events holds ....
insanity.
TobyC likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Rider351 (10-01-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-26-2020, 08:41 PM

View J.C.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
The Rigids would go on sale for almost 1/2 price in certain fall sales. I'd buy 2 or 3 at a time. They were seriously more quiet as well. It's a shame regardless when any USA company goes under. Remington Arms is also going through bankruptcy thanks to NY state attorney general who hates guns and has issued and supported various lawsuits:
https://www.google.com/search?client...ed+by+ny+state

Since when is the manufacturer of any product guilty of the illegal misuse of it? The gasoline used to burn Portland and Seattle cites will be found responsible if the current course of events holds ....
insanity.

Go just a tad off topic? I'm sure there are plenty of political sites for you to cry about the "poor" corporations.
MLP and epicfail48 like this.

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley
post #5 of 18 Old 09-26-2020, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

No, not political at all.

People losing their jobs in these difficult times is very unfortunate. Families need to pay their bills and put food on the table by working for companies making good American products what ever they may be. Seems to with fit your avatar..... donca think?
sweensdv, GeorgeC, TobyC and 2 others like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Rider351 (10-01-2020)
post #6 of 18 Old 09-26-2020, 10:34 PM

View J.C.'s Photo Album My Photos
Is shop vac going out of business because they are being sued because someone killed another by using a shop vac? How many other lawsuits did Remington have against them and for what reasons?
MLP likes this.

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley
post #7 of 18 Old 09-27-2020, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

I don't know but ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Arms

When an American company as old as Remington Arms goes under, it's a sad day. It hurts hundreds of people financially and we lose a source of products that were immensely successful and a joy to thousands of folks who used them. It's a sad day. If poor management was the cause or the competition too stiff or a product defect, or bad engineering or a liability lawsuit was the reason, or all of the above, it still is a sad day. I own both a Remington rifle and a Shop Vac shop vac, so that's why I mentioned both. They are well made and function very well. I guess I now own a couple pieces of history I can leave to my heirs.

I do remember this, however:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/05/...ion/index.html
Quoting:
Automaker Toyota is currently facing numerous civil lawsuits over crashes allegedly caused by "unintended acceleration" in Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden...d_acceleration
Sudden acceleration incidents ..... 16,000!

and this:
https://www.google.com/search?channe...ank+explosions

Neither of these companies went out of business, however.
Nowthatumentionit likes this.

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-27-2020 at 01:05 AM.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-27-2020, 12:48 PM
That Guy

View JayArr's Photo Album My Photos
Shop Vacs are all on sale at 50% off this week in my area.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-27-2020, 04:32 PM

View Nowthatumentionit's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Arms

When an American company as old as Remington Arms goes under, it's a sad day. It hurts hundreds of people financially and we lose a source of products that were immensely successful and a joy to thousands of folks who used them. It's a sad day. If poor management was the cause or the competition too stiff or a product defect, or bad engineering or a liability lawsuit was the reason, or all of the above, it still is a sad day. I own both a Remington rifle and a Shop Vac shop vac, so that's why I mentioned both. They are well made and function very well. I guess I now own a couple pieces of history I can leave to my heirs.
Sad indeed. I tried to throw out our now 30 year old ShopVac 4 years ago, but couldn't do it. For me, its Achilles heel was always that cheap on/off swift. Probably cuz of our humid weather. Ten years ago or so, I replaced it. But when the switch went a second time and ShopVac no longer stocked the part, we almost parted company. That's when I realized what it needed was a nice, beefy marine switch. Works a heck of a lot better and has that comforting feel of perpetuity. But 3 months ago, we did have to say so long to the original hose.
Name:  Shopvac.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  458.4 KB
Name:  Hose.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  484.0 KB
TobyC likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-27-2020, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

How do you create those photo groups?

You are the only member I have seen that posts those neat looking bordered photo groupings. How do it work?

BTW, I have the stain less steel version and my switch crapped out also. I removed the red rubber dust cover to find a small rocker switch which is actually easier to use than fumbling with a covered switch.
If the motor ever craps out, I'll make a still out of the stainless tank ......
TobyC and Nowthatumentionit like this.

post #11 of 18 Old 09-27-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
You are the only member I have seen that posts those neat looking bordered photo groupings. How do it work?

BTW, I have the stain less steel version and my switch crapped out also. I removed the red rubber dust cover to find a small rocker switch which is actually easier to use than fumbling with a covered switch.
If the motor ever craps out, I'll make a still out of the stainless tank ......
Like woodworking, when it comes to graphics, I know just enough to be dangerous. I can do borders and many other interesting things on my desk or laptop. I also use what I'd recommend to you. That's Pic Stitch, a free app for either your smart phone or iPad. It's super intuitive. Offers you a ton of border and montage patterns and interfaces with your photo library. When you get the hang of it (maybe 20 minutes), in no time you'll be dragging over just the shots you need to help everyone better understand your post or reply and doing it with fewer photo uploads.
Name:  IMG_6173.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  314.0 KB
furnacefighter15 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nowthatumentionit For This Useful Post:
Rider351 (10-01-2020)
post #12 of 18 Old 09-28-2020, 12:52 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Just search for HEPA Filters. I replaced the filters on both my Rigid shop vacuums with them, 20 plus years ago. Every time I empty one, I use the other to suck the dust out of the filter.
TobyC likes this.

Rich
Just a dumb old paper boy from Brooklyn, NY
post #13 of 18 Old 09-28-2020, 08:05 AM

View furnacefighter15's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowthatumentionit View Post
Like woodworking, when it comes to graphics, I know just enough to be dangerous. I can do borders and many other interesting things on my desk or laptop. I also use what I'd recommend to you. That's Pic Stitch, a free app for either your smart phone or iPad. It's super intuitive. Offers you a ton of border and montage patterns and interfaces with your photo library. When you get the hang of it (maybe 20 minutes), in no time you'll be dragging over just the shots you need to help everyone better understand your post or reply and doing it with fewer photo uploads.
Attachment 396037

Very cool app. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave H
post #14 of 18 Old 09-28-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnacefighter15 View Post
Very cool app. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And so easy to use!!!
post #15 of 18 Old 09-28-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThankyou View Post
Just search for HEPA Filters. I replaced the filters on both my Rigid shop vacuums with them, 20 plus years ago. Every time I empty one, I use the other to suck the dust out of the filter.
Excellent idea. I've always used bags for the shop-vac, filters for my smaller Ridgid, which, nowthatumentionit, must be 25 years old.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-29-2020, 05:14 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Is shop vac going out of business because they are being sued because someone killed another by using a shop vac? How many other lawsuits did Remington have against them and for what reasons?
Remingtons going out of business because of poor sales. Theyve been in financial trouble since 2007, when they were bought out by a private equity firm, in a purchase that included the $252 million dollars in debt that Remington already had accrued. They were on the way out way before any lawsuits happened, something thats easy to find with a 3 second search thats not tainted by "oh, its the anti-gun crowds fault!"

A better question would be what the hell does a political screed have to do with woodworking, or shopvacs?

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #17 of 18 Old 09-29-2020, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

going out of business......

These are the words in the title are "going out of business". So, it was easy to find another American company in the same situation, bankruptcy in the case of Remington. I don't think the two situations are the same, as one is just closing it's doors in the case of Shop Vac.

There seem to be many reasons for Remington's demise:
https://www.google.com/search?client...sclient=psy-ab

The recall of that many rifles and the resulting lawsuits would cause them financial troubles over and above any sales issues. The rifle in question, the Model 700 is the most popular bolt action platform in the world and countless rifles have been made and sold using it. There were issues with the trigger mechanism which is essentially a "drop in" part that could be easily changed out, but wasn't even when only a few accidental discharges were well known and the blame for that can be laid at the foot of management.

A complete discussion of the history can be found here and in other searches. This link mentions that it was used by the military in it's sniper platforms and it still in service to this day:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_700

The bankruptcy case now in the courts are being settled by other companies bidding on the various portions of Remington holdings:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nkruptcy-court
Hopefully, the new owners will retain all the original employees to reduce the hardships they would otherwise face. The mayor of Iilion NY has already stated he's will to provide any support needed to retain the factory in that small town, a good thing:
https://www.uticaod.com/news/2020072...sh-if-they-can

My point initially was about the hardships to the communities in both cases, where folks actually lost their jobs or may eventually. Shop Vac is well known to those in the woodworking community, but Remington's story may not be, so I elaborated. Sorry for any misinterpretation guys.

post #18 of 18 Old 10-01-2020, 10:32 PM

View Bob Vaughan's Photo Album My Photos
Demand changes. Competitors build what the consumers want and at a quality level that seems to be a good value. Shop Vac built a lot of low end vacuums and some high end ones. Screaming noise seemed to be their trademark. Out comes a big plastic orange pumpkin looking thing that is efficient and very quiet as a competitor. Shop vac stayed noisy for too long. Shop Vac executives killed the company by not addressing the needs of the customer. Shame on them.

There will always be good industrial/commercial vacuums out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode