Shop setup-New Tool Addition - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By GSXRFanIM

post #1 of 4 Old 11-05-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

View GSXRFanIM's Photo Album My Photos
Shop setup-New Tool Addition

Well, I am excited to announce that I pulled the trigger on the Dewault 735x Planer/mobile stand combo that is on sale at Rockler.
It should be showing up sometime this weekend and my garage shop IS NOT READY...
So I have been working with two 15A circuits in my garage for 10 yrs now and since I upgraded my table saw, added a shop vac dust collector system, added a bandsaw it has been pushing the limit.
Blowing the breaker on occasion.
So I decided to pull new 12/2 wiring but I have to take it thru an existing conduit that runs about 25 ft under concrete. That was fun but got it thru and got it to the main panel.
This is a small garage (12.5x22). Now the fun part is replacing all the 14 gauge in the garage with 12.
I have to pull OSB panels off the walls to get the wiring run where they need to go and my garage is compact an full.
I will have my LED lights on 20A as well because I have a nice quad outlet above head to run tools from above. Might be overkill but didnt want to worry about having a mix of cabling.
Its a lot of work but super excited to get a nice new power tool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-05-2019, 10:43 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
I would suggest using surface mount conduit. I've used a lot of armor flex in my shop. Yes, its more expensive than romex, but the time saving is huge compared to fishing wires and certainly tearing walls apart.

Aside from that, you can locate outlets wherever you want and in future you can modify/add to any circuit quite easily.

But once the wires are buried in the wall, you're stuck with what you've got.

Something to consider......
post #3 of 4 Old 11-05-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

View GSXRFanIM's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
I would suggest using surface mount conduit. I've used a lot of armor flex in my shop. Yes, its more expensive than romex, but the time saving is huge compared to fishing wires and certainly tearing walls apart.

Aside from that, you can locate outlets wherever you want and in future you can modify/add to any circuit quite easily.

But once the wires are buried in the wall, you're stuck with what you've got.

Something to consider......
You know what, I am definitely going to consider that.
Where it comes into the garage I already have an outlet but I think I can surface mount that and then go straight up and across a rafter to get to the other side to my other outlet.
And the lights are also above.
Thanks for that thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-05-2019, 06:46 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, surface ETM !

I have one woodshop with in the wall wiring. Used up an entire 100mAMP sub panel. All sorts of 220 V and 120 v outlets. Great! This shop is drywalled and looks real nice with vaulted ceilings.

A have another shop with surface mounted EMT, only more outlets and larger ones like for a welder, 50 AMP. Uses a 175 AMP panel, pretty much all the slots are used. This shop has also drywalled walls and ceilings, but I ran the EMT on top. It looks like a "shop" industrial kinda.

The garage also has surface mounted EMT. Easy to add more outlets OR change them! The walls are 1/2" plywood for hanging stuff.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode