Shop setup - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maylar

post #1 of 11 Old 12-22-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

View Winchester73's Photo Album My Photos
Shop setup

Table Saw: should I set up my cabinet saw on bare concrete or put plywood down on top of the concrete? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-22-2018, 05:27 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
"put plywood down on top of the concrete?"

Why? There are thousands of table saws sitting on bare concrete.

George
post #3 of 11 Old 12-22-2018, 06:01 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Do you intend to move it around?

My shop is on concrete but I have mobile bases with adjustable foot pads because the concrete is NOT level anywhere. And I need to move it around for access to other machines and for long workpieces.
I made my own mobile bases for the table saws, but I also have Rocklers "All Terrain Heavy Duty' bases on other machines.

https://www.amazon.com/Rockler-All-T...in+mobile+base

I made these:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...s-v-2-a-11756/

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/...ablesaw-11044/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-22-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

View Winchester73's Photo Album My Photos
I do not intend on moving, I have a big shop, was just wandering if it would be better standing on and maybe help when or if you dropped tooling.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-22-2018, 08:29 PM

View Cephus's Photo Album My Photos
All of my tools are on concrete, although the table saw is on a mobile base. I have them all surrounded by foam anti-fatigue mats that save my feet and any tools that happen to drop, but those don't go under any of the tools themselves.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-23-2018, 12:15 AM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
I've had arthritis for many years so my shop has a wooden floor. The floor isn't 100% level and even flexible in a few spots... but all of this information isn't important. I did insure that all of my tools were firmly footed so as not to bounce... 100% level didn't matter.

All my major tools have solid smooth work tables and that is what is most important. If the floor the tool rest on isn't level, it's OK because my work piece will be resting on a level surface with the tools. The important thing is my cutting tools are oriented to the work tables of each particular tool.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-23-2018, 02:51 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Concrete is hard on the legs and feet....

Folks with arthritis and just ordinary folks who stand on concrete for long periods would benefit from having plywood or other shock absorbing material around the outside of the saw's base. You could even place it and level or secure it on top of the plywood. You don't want it to shift or rock in use, so whatever it takes to hold it in place is good. It's own weight may be enough without bolting it down. Wedges can be used to keep it from rocking and a little glue will hold them in place.

How big is the shop and how big is the saw? Photos?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 11 Old 12-23-2018, 09:56 AM

View Maylar's Photo Album My Photos
Seems like a waste of plywood and something else to trip over.
GeorgeC likes this.

Dave in CT, USA
post #9 of 11 Old 12-23-2018, 12:56 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
My shop is on concrete but I have mobile bases with adjustable foot pads because the concrete is NOT level anywhere.
We must have had the same builder! Saw an uneven plywood floor in a $350K house once.
I have a Ryobi BT3000 saw on a DIY cabinet. I just roll it around until all wheels sit firm.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-23-2018, 01:33 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have both osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. Standing on plywood vs concrete will make little to no difference. As Mylar says, just something extra to trip on.

George
post #11 of 11 Old 12-23-2018, 10:07 PM

View Roybrew's Photo Album My Photos
I have a couple of mats that I got from lowes. They are fairly inexpensive, warm and good on your back. I use similar ones at my factory job where I stand and operate machinery for 8 hours/day. I won't stand on hard surfaces for that long. You still get fatigued, but they do save your back and knees. Plywood is not a good alternative for rubber mats.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roybrew For This Useful Post:
Maylar (12-24-2018)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode