Shop Progress - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

View raymon's Photo Album My Photos
Shop Progress

Once again thanks for all the input on helping me plan the finish for my basement shop. I promised a few of you I would post the progress, so here it is. Framing is done (only framing one of the 4 walls, and the water heater closet). I know this isn't much to see yet, but it has taken shape! Drywall comes tomorrow, then I run the duct for the DC and drop in the ceiling and I can finally have my shop back!

Sleeper wrote a thread about how he forgot how much he loved framing - this was my first time and I loved it. I mean I couldn't agree more - I could do this everyday instead of looking at a computer all day!

My original shop - a corner of the basement:

Shop from outside now framed. As you can see the shop will have a strange shape as it winds around the furnaces. You may notice that I also decided to expand its size - instead of one corner I decided to take the whole basement past the furnaces - much to my wife's shugrin.

And one more shot from inside the shop now. Look at all my poor power tools all huddled and grouped together idle like a scared pack of antelope. It's a shame but they will be happy once done!

That's about it - just a rough basement shop. I'll post as progress goes. I think I have finally considered a great layout for work flow as well but I may post a drawing for some input when I get to it.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 04:43 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymon View Post
Look at all my poor power tools all huddled and grouped together idle like a scared pack of antelope.

Mike, It's looking good and keep up the in progress pics.

John
post #3 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 04:51 PM

View Chad's Photo Album My Photos
Looking nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-13-2009, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

Holy sh*t - lugging 25 sheets of 5/8 inch drywall solo up the garage stairs, around the corners of the laundry room and down into the basement really sucked.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I hope you used a one hand lifter

If you didn't I won't explain what it is but HD has 'em for about $4.00. Allows one man to lift and carry 5/8" drywall or 3/4" ply up stairs and around corners...don't ask me how I know this. BTW I have 3 of those gizmos, in case I can't find my other two!
You may want to make a "T" stick brace that's a wedge fit under the ceiling to the floor for holding up the drywall as you nail or screw it. Harbor Freight has a lift for cheap also. Don't ask me how I know this. Been there done this. bill
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...d=drywall+lift
Attached Images

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 08-13-2009 at 05:36 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-14-2009, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Yea, I thought about getting one of those, but I had to keep switching the board from vertical to horizontal to get around the tight turns so I didn't think it would help. Looking back I wish I had it because hands are shot today! It is all down there though safe and sound. I am going to pick one up for plywood boards though now that you mention it.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-11-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Wow - the last post on this was June. I hoped to be done with my shop WAY sooner then this!! The whole premise for the shop is to close it in to control dust in the house due to the coming of a new baby to the house. And that date is now approaching faster and faster!

Anyway - as promised, here are some more progress shots. Almost done at this point - I finished the lighting and the molding today, and just have to drop in the ceiling tiles and construct the 20 or so feet of new work / tool benches. Then all the equipment can come back in. It really is coming out better then I ever imagined. The power of that Jet DC is amazing. The 30 foot run to the "Y" at the other end of the shop loses no suction at all. It is a beast. I went with all steel piping as you can see. It was a bit costly and yes probably a bit harder to install but I love it.

Here is the same shot as before when just framed from the back left corner.

Here is a shot from the other end of the shop (standing right in front of the DC) to show the duct run and drops.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Guy!

Who allowed you to put your shop in their living room. Must have been a close friend! Sweet! Nice Job thus far. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 9 Old 10-12-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

hahahahaha - my neighbor eluded to the same thing! I guess I am a bit insane when it comes to planning and finishing a project. I plan to have it looking like a good beatin shop within a few weeks of working in it! Especially once junk is hung all over those nicely drywalled and painted walls.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode