Shop Poll - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 04-22-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
The Young Blood

View Locodcdude's Photo Album My Photos
Post Shop Poll

Just a fun poll for you guys.

If you could chose to build your dream shop..
How big would it be?
Would you have your compressor and dust collector in a separate room from the rest of the shop?
How about that bathroom?
A lounge for your TV, computer, and maybe your wood magazines?

Here's my preferences.
Probably a 36x36
Yes I would definitely have my compressor and dust collector in a separate room.
Well where else am I going to take a dump between glue-ups?
Gotta have a spot for the mini-fridge and the TV!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Did you know

that when you make a new Post, if you scroll all the way down to the bottom on the left hand side is "Post A Poll". If you check this box, a voting type poll will appear and you can ask different qustions for each item in the poll?

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Denison, Tx
post #3 of 9 Old 04-22-2011, 09:35 PM

View mike1950's Photo Album My Photos
Mine is 30x40 with a 14 x30 loft. It seemed huge when I built it. Now with the tools growing-always growing wood collection-more tools and did I mention more and more wood, well you get the picture-now after 10 years it is starting to seem just a little small. No TV- I like the silence-no radio-the same. No bathroom. One thing about bigger though is boy there are a lot more nooks and crannies to get dusty- Do you need some extra DUST??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-22-2011, 09:40 PM

View Woodworkingkid's Photo Album My Photos
well my dream shop would be 100 feet by 75 feet sometime i play around with grizzely shop planer and say what if i had a shop this big. I would have my compresor in a seprat area but have piping all around the shop were i could hook up hoses. The dust collector would also be by its self. I would want a bathroom in there and have a fridge and microwave in a seprate area with an area to sit down with a pc and woodworking books
post #5 of 9 Old 04-22-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
The Young Blood

View Locodcdude's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
that when you make a new Post, if you scroll all the way down to the bottom on the left hand side is "Post A Poll". If you check this box, a voting type poll will appear and you can ask different qustions for each item in the poll?
Ahh huh.. I didn't know that.. :D
Next time then.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-22-2011, 11:16 PM
What Wood I Do

View gregL's Photo Album My Photos
My dream shop was built just over 3 years ago. It is 24x40 and is two story with a barn style roof. I have a separate enclosed area under the stairs that houses my dust collector and compressor...as wellas some storage. I had the shop insulated with spray foam and have 14 double insulated windows and 2 sets of french doors with double insulated glass.
Upstairs is my office/Playroom with my TV and stereo. The entire building is heated and cooled...but it is not needed much due to the foam insulation. I have 6 circuits that are 220v and 40+ 110v outlets in the shop with all of the ones by my worktables at a 42" height.

Who Dat...Every step of any project should be considered your masterpiece if you want the finished product to reflect the quality of your work. Have a nice day, unless you have other plans! "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Greg Little
post #7 of 9 Old 04-23-2011, 09:25 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
There almost isn't a limit to shop size for a serious woodworker if the will and the funding is there. The same goes for the quality and quantity of tooling. My own workshop is 4200 square feet, with 12 foot ceilings. It is about twice the size of what I would have built if I had built one, but it came with the property we bought. The downside was that the building was in a state of neglect and disrepair, so I have spent much of the last three years fixing it up. The new roof last Spring set me back $26,000. I knew when we were negotiating for the property that it was going to need a new roof, so I negotiated on that basis. Even though the shop seemed huge when we first looked at it, empty, it is now mostly full. I spend a lot of time in my workshop, so it was worth it.

Gerry
post #8 of 9 Old 04-23-2011, 09:51 AM

View mike1950's Photo Album My Photos
Gerry, 4200 sq. ft. now that is some serious dust. Powell river-beautiful country.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1950 View Post
Gerry, 4200 sq. ft. now that is some serious dust. Powell river-beautiful country.
Yeah, the other downside to 4200 square feet is clean up time after a big project. And, you are right. This is a beautiful area. I love it up here.

Gerry

Tags
dump, lounge, poll, shop, storage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode