Shop maintenance ( surface rust) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 05-03-2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

View Domenic Dinezio's Photo Album My Photos
Shop maintenance ( surface rust)

hey guys, you have been a great deal of help in the past and i need some quick info and advice for keeping my large power tools rust free. I live in the northeast and while most of my work is done with hand tools i have some large power tools incase i need to get something done fast (i.e. bandsaw, shaper, jointer.) My garage lets alot of moisture in because the garage door where the cars would come in is off its track. I have tried using the WD40 that comes in the black can, and ive also tried boshield but after a big storm or at the end of the season if i havent used the tools theres surface rust on them. What do you guys suggest in reguards to things i can use to avoid the surface rust. Ive heard of beeswax, any good? or maybe a different kind of wax?

Thanks again guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-03-2015, 08:10 PM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
I use Johnson's paste wax. Not real humid where I'm at, but no rust issues with the tools.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #3 of 14 Old 05-03-2015, 09:02 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Yes paste wax will do a great job but you also need to fix your garage door. You knew that was comming.

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-03-2015, 09:26 PM

View phoenixbound's Photo Album My Photos
I use Boeshield T-9 with excellent results. I use Johnsons Paste Wax for most everything including my planes, but I also protect the plane blades and top portions of planes with T-9. I don't live in a very humid climate though, so I can't speak to the effectiveness of either treatment in humid areas. I sure don't miss the humidity! (I lived in Mo and Texas--wow, what humidity!)
post #5 of 14 Old 05-04-2015, 03:45 AM

View GeneT's Photo Album My Photos
Don't use beeswax-it attracts moisture.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-04-2015, 06:16 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have found that LP2 from a Marine supplier is the best protector for surfaces that I cannot wax. I wax nice flat surfaces like the top of a table saw or jointer. However, there are many, many other surfaces that need protection.

George
post #7 of 14 Old 05-04-2015, 07:48 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
In addition to the wax it would help to keep the machinery covered with a plastic painters drop cloth.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-04-2015, 08:13 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
In addition to the wax it would help to keep the machinery covered with a plastic painters drop cloth.
That is not necessarily true. In some climates that promotes moisture buildup.

Whatever cover you use needs to be able to "breath."

George
post #9 of 14 Old 05-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
In the past. I used Boeshield T-9 and I was happy with the results. I recently started using Johnson's Paste Wax (after an interesting search) based on other members' experiences and I'm very happy so far. I especially like how slippery it makes my lathe ways.

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
post #10 of 14 Old 05-06-2015, 11:08 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
From the rust belt of swampy FL, home of rust and mildew:
You cannot seal out moisture totally without putting the machine in a vaccuum.

How I manage it is to first remove any rust (rust remover by Boeshield), followed immediately by a wash down in either brake cleaner, denatured alcohol and then immediately coat with Boeshield.

After that's dry, I cover the top with an absorbent cloth such as flannel or even several layers of paper towels.

Then I cut a piece of plywood the same size and lay on top to protect and keep from tearing.

Opinion #1: I'm not a fan of paste wax its ok for making wood slide but will not seal out the moisture long term.

Opinion #2: I would never cover in plastic that holds in moisture. (The only exception is to seal in a tent with a bucket of DampRid inside. I've never done this but I know it will work).

Take it for what its worth from Gatorland........
post #11 of 14 Old 05-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
Just saw this & remembered this thread. Neat little trick, though I personally don't care for the smell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luA3weXfd-4

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
post #12 of 14 Old 05-06-2015, 11:12 PM

View OldEd's Photo Album My Photos
BOESHIELD T-9

No question.

The alternative is Cosmolene... Horrible stuff that the military uses, or used to use, to rust-proof equipment that was going to be stored for a long time.

I have distinct memories of cleaning an M1 Garand rifle in basic training many many years ago.

My table saw - a PowerMatic Model 63 Artisan's Saw came with the table top and the wings coated with the stuff. I must say that after two days outside with turps it was clean and shiny, but...
post #13 of 14 Old 05-06-2015, 11:35 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
That is not necessarily true. In some climates that promotes moisture buildup.

Whatever cover you use needs to be able to "breath."

George
The reason I say cover with plastic when not using is some of my machinery is in a part of the my shop still under construction and there is no wall. What ever the weather is outside the machinery is exposed to. Sometimes there is a heavy morning dew and the plastic is dripping wet but the machine underneath is free of rust. When I forget to cover it the top of the equipment is covered in rust.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-07-2015, 06:32 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
It won't work on a large piece of equipment, but for tool chests I've tried camphor and the rust preventer drawer liners from Lee Valley as well as their moisture absorber. I think for the money, Damp Rid is the best.

The biggest factor is seal them up don't leave them out overnight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode